Hi, I had recently some respiratory illness, and it lead to vestibular neuritis. Now I have dizziness and vertigo. A doctor told me that it will go away on its own, but I’m wondering if there’s anything I could do anyway?

Hi, my mother has vestibular neuritis. Like in your case, a viral infection extended from her respiratory organs to the vestibular nerve. This nerve is important because it carries information about head movement from the inner ear. Vertigo appears because there is an imbalance between the two sides, when only one of the vestibular nerves is infected. Like your doctor told you, vestibular neuritis usually goes away on its own without treatment. But there are also some medicines that help, such as corticosteroids. There is also a treatment that helped my mother recover. It’s not hard, just some exercises for vertigo.