Hello everyone.

My future maid of honor has Chihuahua. I don’t like those dogs, they are like rats for me :) but that is my opinion. She is pretty much without experience, and she is now a little bit boring.

She believes that I do know a lot about dogs, but I don’t. So, she asked me a few questions, and I want you to answer me, if you can :)

I was wondering, what is the optimal recovery period for dog’s spaying? Is it hard?

What she can expect after this?

I don’t know exactly how to explain you problem that she has, so I need just some information.

Tnx in advance. 

Hello. It depends. All dog breeds are different, and recovery period can be different for them as well. But, some things are the same. During recovery period, you should expect your dog to be very sleepy. If you see some blood, that can be for the same reason. If you notice that your dog is sleepy and groggy during the first days after spaying, that is the reaction as well. Mid coughing is also a symptom, and it can be three for a few days. You should know that your dog won’t be able to walk for 12 hours, and he should be resting during this recovery time a lot. I would suggest you to take some days off to be with your dog.  

My experience tells me that dogs usually recover quickly after spaying.

While recovering, your should provide her with a quiet, comfortable place to rest. It’s a good idea to keep her away from other pets for 5-10 days. 

And don’t let the children near her cause she will need to rest. Keep her warm and make a comfortable surrounding for her.

They usually lick the incision site and that way they could re-open the wound. That’s why it wouldn’t be bad to buy her an e collar. She probably won’t want to wear it at the beginning, but she will get used to it eventually.

Luckily, most dogs recover quickly. Just bare in mind that anesthesia that the vets use during the surgery can upset her stomach. I remember when my friend spayed her dog, she had stomach problems for several days. My advice would be to avoid giving her food for the first 2-3 hours. After that you can give her small amounts, several times a day, rather than large amount once daily. If she refuses to eat don’t force her, if she starts to vomit, just remove the food till tomorrow. I think that she will need a day or two to get better.

Good day.Every case is different.I was talking with my friend today, because my dog need sto be spayed as well. She told me that some dogs can recover very fast, but some of them can’t be really bad after spaying.

Her female dog, she is now seven years old. After spaying, her recovery period was pretty long, more than 20 days.

When she asked my vet about this, he told her that this is normal, because she was really cheerful for a few days before spaying, and that was the main reason.  

When your dog is in recovery period, you should pay attention to the food that you are giving to your dog.

Avoid hard food, because it can effects your dog's stomach. 

That is all that I know :)

Hello there.

First thing, you really should choose the best clinic where you can do this :) That is most the important thing.

Like other members told you, this is really difficult to tell, because some dogs can recover really fast, but some of them not.

Usually, if everything was fine, your dog will recover for five to ten days. That is something that is optimal.

Of course, you should be with your dog all the time during his recovery process, you need to show him that you are there and that he really count on you.

I really hope that everything will be just fine with your dear pet. 

Hello friends.

From my experience, I can say that this will last for 10 days – the most :)

I think that younger animals need more time to recover, but again, it depends from dog to dog. You can never tell for sure.

If you want your dog to recover pretty much fast, you should pay attention on feeding, bathing, exercising with him, you should take care of his wound, and also you should find the way to stop your dog from licking surgical wounds.That is very important.

If you do this, your dog will recover fast :)

Good luck there!

Hello everyone, User DS991, When you take your dog to the vet to get spayed, they are going to let you take her home as soon as she recovers from anesthesia . When you take her home, she is going to be very sleepy, more than usual. She needs peace, some part of space for her, and she needs to be alone. She might even bite you or scratch you, so just leave her alone. You might notice that she has poor balance, stairs might be a problem for her at this time, too. The healing process lasts for about 7- 10 days. She needs to stay calm for this period and you should check daily for her incision site, just in case.