Hi all. I recently got a cat as a present from a friend. He knows how much I love animals so he thought that might be a good idea. I am still not sure if he was right or not. Even though I love them, I don’t really know much about cat care. And I am not really supportive when it comes to pet presents. I think a person should decide for him/herself if he/she wants to buy or adopt a cat. But since my friend already gave it to me, I’m planning to keep it. So, can you tell me, what is the amount of canned food that will be enough for my cat’s daily needs?

Health Guru

That really depends on the size of your cat and also unlike a dog what will eat all you give it most cats only eat when they want to and how much they want.
If you Google cat care and feeding I'm sure your find some interesting answers :-)

There are several things that I’ll need to know before I give you the answer to your question. 

First of all, are we talking about a grown cat or a kitten? 

Kittens eat a lot less than adult cats, but they eat food richer in proteins. 

The other thing that I need to know is- what is your cat’s body weight? The bigger the cat is, the more food she will need. 

And of course, the amount of required food depends on the cat’s physical activity. More active cats (cats that go often or play a lot)  eat more. And less active cats eat less. 

Hey. Can you tell us how old is your cat? Is she big or small, is she fat or not? There are no rules about this. It is just like us, like humans, your cat needs her daily amount of calories. But, how much food your cat requires is based on his/her size. Bigger cat will require more food, smaller cat will require less food than larger one. But, don’t forget that your cat won’t stay small for a very long. I have small cat and I usually let her to eat up to 200 calories per day.  She is satisfied and healthy. 

Feeding your cat is not that complicated. But, you should also know that it is based on many variables, and those variables are weight and age. Now, the brand of food that you give to your pet it also makes a difference. You should always buy high nutrition canned food. Now, there is some statistics, and they are telling us that healthy active 8 pound cat requires about 240 calories per day. The can usually contains about 300 calories per cup. You should always adjust the proportions based on what your cat prefers more or less. That is something that you can learn very easy.

Good luck! 

Here, I will try to give you the answer to your question even though the information you gave us is very poor.
Every type of canned food has the information about its calories on the back.
I’ll tell you what are the required caloric needs for regular, or so to say, average indoor cats.
Cats that have 10 lbs are supposed to take 180 to 200 calories. Of course this can differ depending on the animal’s lifestyle, genetics, health condition etc.
If you give me some more information about your cat, I will probably be able to give you a more precise answer.

I will presume that you got a little kitten as a gift because it's very unusal to give away adult pets. Or not. :)

OK, if that's a case, here's how I fed my cat (Spotty was two months old when we started this feeding regime) - I gave her six meals per day (about 10 calories each) mixed with a little milk. We followed this meal plan for the next four weeks, then we decided to give her bigger meals, four time per day.

It's important to remember that you need to buy canned food specially designed for kittens. Ask your vendor for details.

About cat care, don't worry. Just let her sit onto your lap, pet her and you'll be amazed! Cats are the best.

My cat is really young, she doesn’t’ have one year yet. She is really tiny and skinny, so I don’t force food that much. Approximately, I give her 80 calories per day. I try to avoid dry canned food, because she has a lot of problems with her stool when she eats dry food. So, for my cat, one can of food is enough for daily basis. I didn’t make this decision by my own, I consulted the vet, and he told me this. She is getting fat, she is getting bigger, so I will increase amount of canned food later. 

Hi everyone and thank you so much for your answers. I’m sorry I didn’t inform you well about my situation before asking a question.  

I hope you don’t mind, I am both new on this site and in taking care of a pet. I am still adjusting.

My cat is actually not a kitten. She already had a year when I got her. My friend’s sister gave her for adoption and since nobody wanted to adopt the poor thing, I had to take her. He came to my house carrying  a box with her wrapped up in a blanket. I couldn’t say no to that.  

And you asked me if she is fat- no. And if she is active- yes, even though she doesn’t go out, she is very active. 

Oh, that's so noble of you. I see that you love animals and surely, your cat will give you enough reasons to take care of her until... well, forever. :)
As you already saw, others gave you enough information for every period of cat's life so you can now estimate right amount of your cat's daily needs. Just put her/his activity and weight into the equation and voila!
My advice for you is to mix wet and dry food for your cat to be sure he/she get enough proteins and other nutrients. My Spotty is pretty perky little cat and needs much attention and proper nutrition.
Good luck!