Hello, guys. My son had some spine problems and he was diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis. I know that this is not an easy disorder for treatment. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me something more about the prognosis for this. Thank you in advance for replying to my post. Bye!

Hi, there. The prognosis mainly depends on the degree of spine curvature. Mild scoliosis is when curvature is less than 20 degrees. This is not serious condition and there is no need for treatment. Monitoring is fine. When spine curvature is between 25 and 75 degrees, we talk about moderate scoliosis. If it is left untreated, then people can have some health problems later. Severe scoliosis (curvature over 70 degrees) can press against heart and lungs. This compromises the function of these vital organs. If the scoliosis is very severe, then curvature is more than 100 degrees. In this case, heart and lungs can be damaged. I hope your son will be fine.

Hello. I agree with previous post. It is indeed important to treat scoliosis in time. Otherwise, things can get complicated. It can also lead to bone loss called osteopenia. These people have greater risk for developing osteoporosis. Some experts are against deciding whether scoliosis is moderate or severe upon measuring spine curvature. However, it can be good for orientation. I hope I’ve helped. Bye!