Hi, I am a forty seven years old woman. Lately I have been sweating more than usual. I did not pay much of attention to it but now I am worried. I have no idea what could have caused it. I did not change my living habits. Could it be that I have something that this increased sweating is indicating as symptom?

Hi, first I must start of by saying that sweating is a normal process. Sweat helps our body cool off. The sweat is produced by sweat glands. They react when the temperatures are high, on stressful situations, when you are physically active and even when you eat spicy food. However, sweating can also be a symptom of some disease or condition. If with it you are also having a fever, losing weight or have a chest pain it could mean that you are experiencing hypothyroidism. The increased sweating also points to menopause. Because of all this, you will have to see a doctor and tell him about your problem. He will determine the right cause of your excessive sweating and the right course of treatment, if necessary.