I had a total colectomy with small bowel joined to rectum in 2004 . Still find knowing best diet difficult, and trying not to get too thin. Salads now are usually good for me, and the usual starchy things like potatoes and rice.  i find slippery elm powder taken with a little lukewarm water in the morning very good.

I am 2 months post right hemi colectomy. I had a twisted bowel. I am 28 years old have had 4 children and am very active. I have a hard time with raw vegetables and some fruits. My stool is very small in diameter sometimes which worries me and I can't have a lot of fried foods. My doctor told me everything would be back to normal by 6 weeks post op but I find this to be completely untrue. In fact my surgeon told me I could return to full contact Roller Derby at 6 weeks. I glad I didn't listen.. But I'm feeling lost.. What do I do?

I found a medical herbalist who helped me after my op. She was able to get me on the right path. The hospital gave me no diet advice at all. Hope you can find a good one.

I had a total colectomy 2years ago and still have this problem, depending on my diet. No sugar, no fibre, no raw vegetables and fruit (except papaya, banana and a few slices of avocado), no fat and fried food. I eat a very bland diet. Chicken, fish, pumpkin, potatoes, sweet potato, white rice, white pasta, white bread, butter, peanut butter, sometimes red meat (beef fillet). I use pro-biotics three times daily and use "Fibogel" to bulk up one - three times a day (depending!). important to use this more or less 20minutes before your meal and drink a lot of fluids. No fruit juices, alcohol (I sometimes drink a cider). I also use lactose-free milk. hope this will help.

Had this surgery in three stages over 2 years. Happy with the results, for the most part. I agree with most statements, it's trial and error. Nuts, in general, cause me to block up, if I eat more than a handful. Also, weirdly enough, cucumber, if not peeled, if more than just a little bit. Good luck. I think it's worth it in the long run. 

Water DOES NOT hydrate. Drink diluted juices or get an electrolyte supplement.

I had a sigmoid Colectomy last Wednesday. I feel like a million bucks. My bowels are moving just like they did before the surgery. I have pain and bruising still of the abdomen, but for the most part, I am not experiencing any if the issues most on here has. I do eat mostly oatmeal with brown sugar, potato soup, bread, and water and milk. Maybe a majority if you should see another Surgeon for an independent review of your surgery.

Low-residue diet consisting of soft foods that have little or no indigestible fiber. Low-residue foods leave very little undigested material for your intestine to process.The diet also restricts milk products and foods or beverages that contain caffeine.

Water DOES NOT hydrate.This advice is entirely inaccurate. Drink Diluted Juices (sugar free) or go to a sports store,nutrition store,GNC,pharmacy and get electrolytes (provided you do not suffer from hypertension or high blood pressure).
To the "advisor" ....Water is effectively electrolyte neutral. Consumption of plain water to attempt to hydrate,dilutes the delicate electrolyte balance within the gut (ie:sodium,magnesium,potassium,calcium...chloride).

There is a reason individuals who are hospitalized are not given an IV in hospital with a bag of "water" to rehydrate !

If you are going to put yourself in a public advisory position,please ensure that you understand hydration/hyponaetemia at an elementary level.

Sincerely,
Terrence Walsh

This is my 7th year anniversary of having a total colectomy. I too have struggled with diarrhea. My dr says it is a bacteria attacking the spot where the colon was at. I do know that any kind of nuts do not work for me even though I love them. Also salads are out of the question. But you have to eat something. Somedays are good, some not so good. But I do feel beetter that I did 7 years ago.

I find that a teaspoon of slippery elm powder in a little lukewarm water helps to control diarrhea.

I had a subtotal coloectomy 3 months ago. It's been a nightmare. My doc said it would be trial and error for at least the first 6 months to a year. I was told I could take Imodium before each meal if the diareaha continued..I settled for one per day because more made my intestines feel more tender..It has helped, there have been days I change clothes many times and have taken up to 3 showers in a night. Changing the bed has been very common. I did buy the little blue plastic pads they had on the bed while in the hospital..Saved on some laundry and makes all hours of the night clean ups quicker..I can't eat anything dairy yet..It goes right thru me. Bakes fish has been easy and some chicken..Fresh fruits are out but some canned ones are not as hard on the diareaha..I was also told to take Gas X for terrible bloating and cramps..Canned veggies work better than fresh for now. Bread doesn't seem to be to bad..I also go thru tons of baby wipes..The stomach acid can leave blistered skin when the diareaha is bad..I was also given a cream/paste called Calmoseptine. Your pharmacist can get it for you without script but I had to ask. I alternate that with Preperation H. I have swelling and lots of burning and itching after terrible bouts of diarrhea..Oh and another thing that helped with the anal area were the Tucks pads..i would fold one in half and just leave it to lay on the anal area on my bottom and go on about my business.Those were also a huge relieve. My doc said for the first month or so to try and graze on little bites of whatever you could tolerate to keep the stomach acid used up that is being produced and that helps with the sore bottom being so bad. I experienced terrible nausea the 1st two months so Zofran became another one of those life savers...This has been my experience thus far..I'm still healing and have lost 40lbs..Terrible way to shed a few pounds but it a good pay off if you could afford to drop a few..Trial and error and don't get to discouraged that's gonna happen too..Oh and the gas is worse than anything you will ever smell..My husband has been the best and very graceful dealing with it as well..Ladies you will not be able to deny where the smell may be coming from and you can't hold it so go ahead a claim it..lol....Best of luck and God Bless.

with anal area soreness i found CVS sold an ointment called A+D first aid ointment that really helped.
I really hope your health gets better, you have a lot to deal with .

Hello I just had colostomy a month ago. I am still in pain from the surgery and I would like to know if you had a lot of pain from yours?do you eat a lot of fruit?

I had my total colostomy in 2004, so its hard to remember how long the pain lasted, but somehow i dont think it lasted as long as a month. My surgeon just told me to eat whatever i felt like. It was trial and error for quite a while. I did introduce fruit as things got better. Now i eat fruit every day.
Everyone is different in how their body behaves after such a big operation. But if you are still in pain, something might be wrong. ( I realise its been a month since since your post, i hope things have improved for you)