It's been a year and a half for me since colectomy and then reversal. I still feel clueless on what to eat. Is sugar and sugary drinks taboo? Salad seems bad for me. I can't seem to define what's good and what's bad. Meats, chicken, etc...not sure. HELP!

I was suppose to have bariatric surgery when they found cancer in my intestines. I find that a week later I can take egg product liquid and mix in the baby food I never used. I'll take strained baby potatoes, other vegetables or baby fruits in a jar and mix them in to the egg omelet. You get your protein and its a different taste.

It's been almost 4 years since my total colectomy and reversal surgeries and I am still struggling with figuring out what works for me. However, I've figured out a few good rules for me that may help you or anyone else dealing with adjusting. Obviously everyone is different, but this is what I've found to be true for my body.
No salads or raw vegetables
Cooked vegetables are fine, but I avoid skins even when cooked
Soft fruits are good, like bananas and ripe mangos
Fruits with seeds or skins don't treat me well.
Beans are almost always a no
Fried foods aren't the best, but aren't as painful for me as other things
I do perfectly fine with meat, as long as it's not super fatty
I try to avoid dairy, but cheese seems to be fine
Spicy foods have never bothered me.

Keep in mind that I don't always follow my rules, sometimes I just want french fries or a giant bean burrito, but it's good to know how different food affects you. In the end, we've all had this surgery to enhance our lives, not limit them. Take care of your body, but if you feel like you just can't give up fried chicken, learn to live with the consequences and that's just fine.
Hope this helps!

I am so sorry that so many of the people that have replied to this site has had negative or seemingly unsuccessful results. I had a total colectomy May 12th of this year and after just 3 months of recovery I can eat virtually anything I want. I learned early on that many small meals and/or snacks during the day is the secret for me. Drinking LOTS of water plus other non-water retention fluids is paramount to overall good health. I have no fixture for evacuating my stools and I do have formed stools that are easily passed. In fact some days I need to add a stool softener to keep things moving. Good luck to all in your endeavor to improve your health and therefore, happiness.

Hi Lisa, at last a good story. I also had a total colectomy only 3 weeks ago and so far so good. Much better than I thought I would be as I read so many forums like this. Everyone seems so different.

I absolutely agree with trial & error. I had my total colectomy 5 weeks ago, I only eat what my surgeon said, Fish, Chicken & green beans, if I step outside of these foods, I find myself sick, real sick! I'm afraid to eat anything else.
But my 1st question is: WHY DOES MY LEFT SIDE HURT SO BADLY DAILY????

I had a total colectomy 14 years ago.
I really think you need to get medical advice about the pain in your left side.

you are correct water does not hydrate...my wife just had a total colectomy with small bowel attached to rectum and had to go back to ER five times for dehydration...also she likes to drink milk with her meals and found out she cant do that anymore because diarreha flushes out the enzymes that digest milk and makes the diarreaha worse...she cut milk out of her diet and drinks alot of Gatorade and has improved alot...also take one Immodium 30 min before each meal helps too

Bridget, you are so right people definitely do not understand.

Hi. I'm tim vandevoorde and my BMS are either.whole and firm or whole and messy I had to give up fatty greasy floods like buttered popcorn French fries fried chicken etc as I think I have IBSc as after I go I have constipation and it' happens quite frequently
It happened this morning and twice 2 weeks ago

Have you gained weight too? I had mi. Almost a year ago. I have gained 10 pounds and go about 6 times a day. It's very confusing to me.

I have not gained weight at all. I lost over 20 lbs within the first 6 weeks though because I ended up with a sepsis infection. I do monitor what I eat to stay well balance and I drink 6-8 oz pineapple juice (vs. prune) daily to counter any ill effects of any grain/starch I consume. My surgery was May 12 2016 and I'm delighted with the outcome.

I had the same surgery in May, 2016 and the diarrhea is Horrible. I hope ur still on this page to give me some advice.

I will share any of my experience, but it would help if I know what do you eat on an average day?
Also, was your surgery with removal of large intestine and small intestine connected directly to the rectum?

Thank you , did you experience bleeding from the stitches?