I went a show last night in which a man was hypnotized in front of a large mass of people. I know it wasnt fake because he was there with a wife and some friends. When a hypnotizer did his job, this man was so distant. I was wondering what hypnosis really is and how this man felt while hypnotized. Was he asleep?

He was not asleep, he was at another place (as people would say). Hypnosis can be defined as a relaxed, focused state of concentration. The person being hypnotized is not asleep but at a different level of his conscious or lets say subconscious. When subconscious, a person can be easily influenced and his thoughts changed. Hypnosis is used in treating many ailments by making the person change its attitude toward things. Not everyone can be hypnotized. People with critical and realistic and judgmental minds are harder or impossible to hypnotized while the dreamers with creative minds who are trustworthy can be easily hypnotized. Those who get hypnotized usually feel relaxed but a change in brain wave activity that is similar to time just before sleep can be seen.