Hello! I have recently found out that I am allergic to nuts when I had a severe allergic reaction to peanut butter that I was eating. Since I am 22 you might say that this allergy came very late in my life. I used to eat peanuts before and had no problems. Doctor explained that it can occur late and that its perfectly normal and he scheduled some tests for me to find out if it is only peanuts I am allergic to or all the nuts. What worries me right now is changing my eating habits. I didn’t need to look at the labels till now, and now it seems that everything has nuts or traces of nuts and I don’t know what to eat. Does anyone know some good snacks for someone allergic to nuts?

Hi there fellow-sufferer! I am also allergic to peanuts for as long as I can remember. I guess it is easier for me since I had grew up learning what I can or cannot eat and I was ready for it ever since I began eating on my own. You will have to give up many things that you like. First step is to read labels, and it is good that you started that. Be careful though. Many labels don’t represent the true state. Some people rely on tasting the food to determine if there are nuts in it. I wouldn’t recommend it because some people react very severely to very small amounts of nuts. So I recommend only that food which is certain to be nut-free. In time you will find that there are a lot of tasteful snakes you can have such as fruit. Most of all avoid any ice-cream, cereals or chocolate, even the white one.

Hi girls! I would just like to add that your days of going out to restaurants care-free are also over. In our restaurants it is very hard to be sure that you will get a nut-free meal even if you order it. You must stress how dangerous it can be for you to the server but even then you cannot be sure that the cook will be careful not to ‘contaminate’ your food with nuts used for some other meal in his kitchen. It is so hard being nut-allergic, don’t you think so too?