I just learned about this disorder. I have the same experience with my boyfriend (ex boyfriend now). I didn't understand it. I got angry, frustrated and confused. He never believed me and it would start huge fights. I've been accused of sleeping around with anyone and everyone..the next door neighbor, my ex-husband, my friends husband, all my male Facebook friends and he hinted towards bi-sexual activity. When I met him he was wonderful....he's the kind of guy who would do anything for me...and he did..It breaks my heart that it ended because he just couldn't see me for who I am...I am not a cheater...I tried to hard to convince him he was wrong and I think that only fueled his delusions. He would go through my things, write names down or numbers or anything he wanted to check up on. If I went out with the girls he would ask 20 questions and still not believe me....If my cat scratched me he would say the scratch came from having rough sex with someone else....when he called me he would always think someone else was here and that I was hiding something... He even thought I was sleeping with my daughters boyfriend. I thought I was going crazy. I've never dealt with anything like this. Very sad....

Wow this Othello Syndrome just hit me like a ton of bricks. Do these sound like symptoms? If I tried to stop an argument with hugs and kisses, she would make accusations that I was trying to trick her into trusting me so that she wouldn't suspect anything, such as all the alleged affairs I was having albeit without a single shred of evidence. And it all began at a time in which her self esteem had taken a hit. She had just lost her full-time job that she had held for eight years and had to take up a position serving beer in a pool hall. She had also finished last place in a big bikini/bodybuilding competition that dozens of our friends and family members attended. (side note: we all thought she won the damn thing. it was definitely a bad call....or politics =/ ). Is it that Othello Syndrome is a symptom of depression or borderline depression waiting to be triggered by unpleasant events and feedback? I just found it peculiar that this change in behavior occurred exactly at the same time as these things happened. I've never witnessed such a pure willingness and inclination towards irrationality from another human being as I did dealing with this. I believe the truth is, there's nothing you can do. They must choose to wake up from their delusion.

Cocaine abuse DOES cause this and can do a lot of damage to the brain. It's a drug-induced psychosis. I just broke up with my bf of two years because of the exact same thing, but he would only ever get like that when he got high. I was accused of sleeping with SEVERAL men, even with people I never met before (or heard of for that matter), accused of deleting messages, as he would snoop on my phone and computer and PRETEND he saw things that were never actually there. He'd say that people were telling him I was a bad person and a cheater. He said he was doing everything in his power to catch me (encrypt emails, retrieve deleted emails, put up hidden cameras) but it was all lies.

Things that were absolutely not in my control were signs I was a cheater, it was ridiculous. The sun being bright could be another f*cking reason as to WHY I'm a cheater according to his logic.

These guys are m****s on drugs! You're better off! Why on earth should we tolerate that emotional abuse?

Wow... my daugther saw this mentioned in the Daily mail & suggested I research it.  Been with her mother for 33 years & it just goes on & on & on...  everything looks so pretty when you're looking in but on the inside, it's terrible - all the more so, because I/we still love our good moments. Accusation after accusation ....  to the point I will now blush when a female says hello to me, as I know the outcome, so I'm nearly guilty just by knowing the person.  Hold the door open for a female - bang - what did I do that, do I know her, do I like her - I must know/like/want an affair....  - attend a work event is a no-no...  unbelieveable.   Asked her to attend counselling with me (before I heard of Othello Syndrome) to see what the issues are... outright refusal as there is nothing 'wrong'.

Do not want to leave her, we've a lot going for us, if she/we could just get this under control.

Advice?

Thanks.

I believe my husband has this, or a degree of it, been married for 11 years and at first didn't realize anything was 'wrong' because he was a drinker, covered everything up, but since he's trying to get his drinking under control this disorder is really coming alive for him, Im now accused of wanting our kids school Principle as im the secretary for parent councel? This among many other accusations!! Its seems its a 2 week cycle here, wandering if others see a cycle change?

Hes a great guy in all other areas, just when this hits! He senses a change in himself and can feel it coming on a few days before, but nothing helps stop it unfortunatly. 

He was cheated on in a previous marriage and also his dad was extreme in his jelousy, his mother was an alcoholic, now i see why, that was her only coping mechanism!

Not sure if his is a learned behaviour or an actual delusion?

Looking for hope

How did you finally get over it. I suffer from what sounds like Othello syndrome but am aware that I have crazy thoughts and want to get thru this and finally be free . I have been seeing a counselor for a few months now but I just stumbled on this and am very interested in knowing what people say and do and think that have this syndrome. Could you please fill me in . What kind of things did you do? My head goes bonkers and I say and do so many crazy things. Was there something that happened in your life that triggered you to have this syndrome ?

How did you get over it? I have never seen anything that would suggest it would go away or that any medication helped. I am ready to get a divorce because my husband has had this for about 2 years. He cycles about every one to two weeks. Please answer how you handled it. Thank you.

Just read your message re your wife...I feel I suffer from othello syndrome myself...even on a 5 min trip down the road I often end up acuseing my boyfriend of looking at someone which then always ends in an argument...I constantly worry when we are apart if he is looking at others this can make me moody when I see him in the evenings...I worry when he's on the computer and we can't even relax to watch tv and have to find programmes which aren't likely to have scantily dresses females in..even ads have caused big rows before...having this problem for someone suffering it is like a living hell..especially in summer my stress levels hit the highest levels...I unlike your wife have seeked medical help for my issues and personally after numerous sessions of psychotherapy I just felt more suspicious...angry and resentful of the way men in general oogle females even when they are in a so called loving relationship...so I would suggest you get the problem first diagnosed properly as I was just classed as severe anxiety and depression and treated for that but the underlying cause was my insecurity..suspicious nature when in relationships that was causing the anxiety... once diagnosed then find treatment specifically for that problem...if your wife flatly refuses to at least talk to the dr for the sake of your marriage then you have two options put up with it or walk away...I know how it upsets my partner and always give him the option to be free of me if I make his life too unhappy as I know as I suffer so bad daily with it and cant change the way I think...that's it's not fair to drag someone else down too cos of my mental problems.

hey there. i think i/m having this problem. (sorry 4 bad english, it's not my native language). could you help me please? couse i like interpretate situations, like belevie them. i have break up (it wasn't my first relationship). my last girl sed, that im very jealous. i didn't deny'ed that, but i also have reasons because of be jealous. because after one year relationship she move to another city. start deny'ing me. where was some situation's than she start flirting with another guy near me (i was very boken down, and of course angry) and i sed "i forgot when you loked at me like that". i asked her if she does love me. she did't say a word. but after few seconds of thinking she sed yes (i stil can trust her words, i think its because she knew'ed, that i'm ganna broke up with her) and looking in this description it looks like, that i'm trying to justify myself. but don't trully know if i'ts true, mabe i'am not right? but i remember then she sed, i afraid of you, couse if you got an ambition you could do a lot of things. i never hit her. never wanted that (but mabe it's jus a begining, mabe i have otelo's complex). of course, i remember then she sed than she was angry at me, that she wan's to smack me in my face. in that moment, i just close, and start don't talk with her. i also are talkative guy, but i don't like to talk to anybody. i like peace. i'am like an individualistic (which is one of the symphtom). i don't have disorientation, adiction to alcohol (but mabe it's jus begining, mabe, i could be). what if i need some truly help for that? i don't wanna harm anybody, if i have this menthal problem. o, and also, when she started to go out with her best friend girl (to me it look more that she is bisexual, couse she sed, i don't know, i'am bisexual or not) she almost forgot me. she date with her so many times, that we never had to. she showed her so much attention, that i didin't got never. i talk with her about that. she sed, that she never even thought about her friend anything like that "i should giive some more attention to my boyfriend or anything else". but everythere was her best friend, almost every day, but me - nor. not even then she lived in the same city. i anderstand that i'm jealous, but i trully don't know, if i trully need help. so please help me, right your opinions and advices. and i also can't go to psichologic or psichiatric, couse then i ganna have inscription in my health book, and in that case, i could not go to my job career stairs, couse my employer ganna see that (not surprised, if fired me). so again. please, help me.

Hi there. My dad has just been diagnosed. symptoms started months ago I am looking on here for additional/alternative help and came across it and I feel you are reading my mind. It is heartbreaking and at times where his dillusion is real and he is at his most frustrated I seemti be the only one to 'talk him down'. Its devastating as he is almost 79 and always a loving man. After 60 years with my mum its so sad to see his suffering and her agony as she suffers so much too. Thank you for putting your thoughts down. I feel not souch alone now. Just wish it could be cured.

I love my wife and children implicitly but i have to wonder if this is me. I think it is as i often wonder why such a beautiful person would dare love someone like me even after 18 years of being married and being accused of infidelity on numerous occasions. I love my wife and kids so much and know they deserve better and would love to know that i can be helped rather than be a statistic..... many thanks

You need to get help. I was married to a man I loved with all my heart for 21 yrs, had 2 children with and had to leave because of his constant accusations of infidelity (where there was absolutely none at all). It drove me to a very dark place where the only solution to save myself was divorce. I am now remarried to a man who is not jealous at all and am wishing I had left my first husband much earlier than I did.

Hi there my name is Kira and have a sister at the age of 7. My father suffers from morbid jealousy and we need help he's taken medication but it seems no good ... 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I am currently in a situation EXACTLY like yours. I know I need to get out but it's so hard because I truly love him outside his episodes. So sad :(

What did your research show ?