I don't believe it has anything to do with my tonsils. Basically, the only comprehensible way I can describe this are chunks of some sort of buildup coming from two regions in my throat. Both are opposite each other on the sides of my throat (there seems to be some sort of slit that runs along the side). Now, I don't know throat anatomy, and I"m not one for lodging my finger that far back in my head, but i managed to jab all the chunks (they're hard, and appear to be condensed mucus) out of the left side (already coughed up the ones in the right).

What's frustrating is that I got them every once in a blue moon as a child, maybe one little chunk every six months, but ever since I had this throat sickness about eight months ago (they never did find out what it was), I've been coughing up these white chunks more and more often. Any clues as to what may be causing it? My nose is not stuffy, nor am I ill, and my throat is not swollen and feels fine. I just don't know what the c**p they are!

My problem isn't tonsils either, being that I had them removed 50 years ago.  I have a bit of background as I am an EMT, and in looking through my books I've discovered that the little slits in the back of the throat on either side are the openings where the eustachian tubes (from the ears) enter the throat.  They can become "food traps" and/or sometimes produce mucus that gets hard and funky.  I had been using a syringe to try to clear the opening, and ended up with an earache on that side...  I've only been having this problem for a year or so - haven't figured out how to fix it.

I thought it was something like tumors and I was freaking out.