Since about March I've been getting this strange build up in my throat that feels like a piece of popcorn is stuck right behind my tongue. In my opinion, it makes my breathe stink, or smell differently. On two separate occasions while out in public, the build up would finally come up ... and it tastes/smells horribly! For the third time, tonight, it happened again ... so I decided to take a picture of it and find out exactly what it is!

Okay, besides the fact that it grossed me out. I knind of know what it is. Me and my husband (more so him) used to get this in our younger (drinking) years. Although we never ask a Dr. about it. It comes from the tonsils and I think it is a build up of white blood cells that the body has used to fight off toxins. It only occurred when I had been drinking the night before etc... If you have any form of toxins going into your body get rid of that and see if it clears up. Good luck.

The chunks you get are a result of an oil build up on the tonsils. Over time the oil builds up and crusts over on the back of the tonsils. These nasty little chunks will break off and wind up going down your throat most of the time, or they will find their way into your throat, then your mouth. They taste and smell really bad and should be spat out, tho they are not harmful if swallowed.
Another cause is SINUSUS..sinus infection. The sinus will clog and random bacteria will sometimes cause a buildup of mucous which will be in the form of a hard smelly chunk which again will find its way into your mouth and throat. If you get this a lot you may want to have your Doctor check for ears, nose and throat problems.
Other wise, sounds normal to me. I get these chunks to. Don't worry, your fine

These are called tonsil concretions or tonsil stones. (Google this and you'll see several sites that talk about this.) They are nothing to worry about based on what I've read. I get them too and it has nothing to do with alcohol consumption.

OH MY GOD!! THIS HAPPENS TO ME A LOT!! I USUALLY TAKE IT OUT WITH A TOOTHPICK BECAUSE WHEN IT GETS STUCK IT REALLY BOTHERS ME. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO PREVENT IT THOUGH.