I have had this raised white pockets in my throat I guess on my tonsils really. But they come out an dI sometimes cough them up. Please if anyone can help me. I hate going to the docter I have had hem for awhile and I'm to scared to go to the docter. Please help.

I had some issues with what looked like white pockets in my throat about 20 yrs ago. My doc said it is just food junk getting stuck in pockets in my throat and they come out when I sneeze or cough hard. Sometimes I can cough them out or push them out with a q-tip. It's just nasty.

Dr. OZ on Oprah says it is pockets of rotting food that makes your breath stink. My mothers doctor says his daughter has it and he just pops them out for her. I have popped them out, it makes me gag and I see blood. The next time they are even bigger. Hope this helps.

I also have throat pockets. I asked my PCP about it, she said food can get trapped in the pockets and can sometimes cause your throat to hurt. I had food trapped in my right pocket today. I rinsed my month with warm salt-water. Then, I took the end of my tooth brush and pushed the rotted food out.

Too right- it is disgusting. Especially the smell. I have been dealing with the same little pockets for a few years.

It's something I've mentioned to my Family Doctors (I've moved around a bit- had a few doctors to ask). Advice varies from Dr to Dr, but what I have found interesting is that my pockets increase in size & frequency after I've consumed peanuts or peanut butter. This observation supports one of my previous doctor's theories of food allergy being the cause of the pockets. Another Dr said the same thing about food getting stuck in folds of the tonsils and decaying, resulting in the not-so-pleasant odor.

These little white treasures are called 'tonsil stones'. Apparently, not contagious (pphhhew!) and more common in people who have post nasal drip (true for myself).

For any one else looking for additional information, ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

For me, avoiding peanut products and using a minty mouthwash periodically will remain a suitable management plan. Others have had more extreme cases and have opted to have their tonsils removed- eliminating the possibility of the little white chunks reappearing.

I have the same problem. Should I be worried??

at Ritha,
All of the research I've done online and at the library suggests that the little white chunks are foul, but not a sign of something more sinister.  Out of interest, have you seen your doctor?  What did he/she suggest?
X

i have had the same symptoms, i when to the hospital all the diagnosis i got there was" difficulty in swallowing". i went some where else an they did a strep test and it is negative, so i am in the same shape you are!

My doctor told me the little white chunks in the tonsils are called 'tonsil stones' and that they are quite common. What happens is a tiny little food particle gets trapped in a fold of your tonsil (though they don't look like 'folds' to me. More like holes.) Once the particle is trapped, the body surrounds the particle in a mucous like covering and adds to the covering over time, creating a cream coloured stone which is eventually large enough to be excreted. Gross. But common. I have found that avoiding nuts and gargling daily- or close to daily- with mouth wash has help me reduce the frequency of my tonsil stones. Hey- don't be afraid to head to your doctor. They can be a wealth of knowledge! Please post after you've seen your doctor. I'd be interested to hear what your doctor says. :) Best wishes! X

I used to get this same problem all the time, until my brother recommended oxygen toothpaste and seriously it has completely solved the problem. I used to get them frequently and it was horrible, but now I haven't had them for months - since I started using the toothpaste! I recommend this and I hope it works for you too.

I have the same problem so my doctor is taking my tonsils out.. It has been causing me to get tonsilitis frequently and a sore throat that never goes away. The constant infection has also caused my asthma to act up so I miss alot of school.. I go a specialist for my throat