I'm 17 this year and started weight lifting a few months ago.....i found out the my height decreased a few cms and my friend said that i grew shorter...this is bugging me and i felt very disturbed...can anyone give me some comments>>???

Although weight lifting is discouraged during puberty, at your age there shouldn't be any problems. There is no reason that you should suddenly become shorter. If you are concerned please see your doctor.

JB9900 wrote:

Although weight lifting is discouraged during puberty...

By who and why

Hello there,

I think that you are overreacting as well as your friends. This is absolutely impossible and it is a myth that weight lifting can stunt your growth. Anyhow if you are concerned about this you need to consult your doctor and if you have noticed that you are really getting shorter than this could be a serious problem.

But I still think that you are exaggerating and that you have just freaked out because of your friends. It is very commendable that you are into sports and you should continue the same way. Physical activity can be very beneficial for your mental and your physical health and you will notice this by yourself very soon. And girls like to see nicely shaped body.