I am 19 and I first got my period just before my 12th birthday and from the time I was 12 until 16 I was extremly irregular. However, after 16 my periods were very regular, starting every 32 days. The last day of my period was March 29th and was supposed to start May 1st. Today is June 9th and I am 40 days late. I have taken 3 pregnancy tests and all 3 have been negative. My fiancee and I are not trying to conceive, but we have talked to the possibility of us becoming pregnant and are fine with that. What should I do?

You should already have a Gynecologist since you are sexually active, and you need to see that doctor! They may want to induce a period at start up your cycle again.

Yes, you should definitely see a doctor — some doctors will recommend annual OBGYN exams anyway, and this is as good a time as any to get that one scheduled. You can then ask about your situation at the same time. 

Being 40 days late when you otherwise have very regular periods is unusual, but it does happen. Home pregnancy tests are quite reliable (more than 99 percent if you test on time, after your period was due), so take that into account. 

The only way to answer the question, could I still be pregnant, is really to see a doctor at this point.

i am 28 years old, married. my husband and i are trying to have a baby. i have regular periods.i had my last period apr. 1st and i should have my next menstruation last may 2nd.but until now, June 12 i didn't get my period. in may, i tried 2 ept's at home and the results came negative. i went to the doctor for a urine and blood test still the results were negative. again i used ept at home i still got the same response. until last week i had cramping and i thought i'll be having my menstruation. i only had a tiny amount of bright red blood and after that a little of light pink blood when i wiped. some say i might be pregnant but how come i don't have sore breasts? i don't vomit everytime (although i do but minimal), i'm gaining weight and my abdomen is bigger than usual. pls help me...i am scheduled to meet my OB 3 weeks from now coz they're busy...i need to know how to take care of my baby and myself if i am really pregnant. coz when the doctor said it was negative i went back to smoking again. but this week i started quiting. is this implantation bleeding already? am i pregnant?

Hi Mari!

My Name is Maria, I am in the same boast as you are/were. My last period was June 5th and up to this day still hasnt come. I took 3-4 HPT and all resulted negative. I had a blood test at a Home planning office, negative on July 19. Finally, I made an appt to see my family doctor on the 24th of July and had a wells woman check up. My urine test was also negative, they again took a blood test, will find out next week. My doctors nurse practitioner saw some discharge during my check up and recommend I take some anti-biotic which is also safe for pregnancy just in case and schedule for me to have an ultra sound on the 2nd of August.
I am just very consious to find out the result of your situation, if you got pregnant or not. This is the first time this happened to me. I usually get
my periods regularly.

thanks, Maria

Hi Ria 2006 (or anyone else who can advise)

Im curious as to how you got on with your tests? My period is 5 weeks late (date of last period being 6th August, its now 2nd October and still no period) Ive been extremely tired and had 2 tiny incidents of spotting 2 or 3 weeks apart in september-ish. Im due to go the doctors in 2 days to find out what he's going to say. Ive had unprotected sex since my last period in august, but have had 6 negative HPTs. I dont know what is wrong with me or if I am really pregnant.

Im going to tell the doctor the above and request blood tests to be taken..

If anyone can give any advice-Id appreciate it very much thanks

Scoobs

i'm in the same boat as u scooby. my lmp was aug. 11th and all the tests i've taken have come back negative. if i am pregnant i'd be about 10.4 weeks, i should know by now right?

when my mom was pregnant with me she said she didn't get a positive test til she was 13 weeks. could that be genetic?

remember that pregnancy tests ARE 99% accurate, they are clinically tested to make sure they are accurate, so if you are having exessive multiple negatives you might want to start looking at other reasons your period hasnt come.

false negatives mean either you arent pregnant, you arent taking them correctly or your hcg levels arent rising like they should be. 25% of all pregnancies are chemical and end prematurely.

perhaps trying lower sensitivity tests would help

My LMP started Sept. 19, although around Oct . 17-19 (when I should have had my period) I had dark spotting and I've never had a period that lasted less than 5 days or spotted for more than a day. I had taken a HPT prior to that b/c I was having really odd sensations, sorta like cramps, in my lower abdomen but not like any pms cramps I'd ever had. I have had 3 negative hpt since then but symptoms continue to get worse, I have occassional cramping, nausea about every 2-3 days, everyday becoming more sleepy (it's like I can never wake up even after being up for a few hours), but my breasts are not sore, however my nipples have frequent pain. Any thoughts?? Sine I had some bleeding and neg. hpts I realize I'm probably not pregnant however if I'm not I'd really like to know what's going on!

Hey all I 2 have a late period. Had one Dec 16 06 and is now 38 days late.
My husband and I stopped the pills in June and for the last 5 months my peroid has gotten longer each month. I took a test when I should have came on but was also neg. I found that I ovulate later, can that mean I'll it will show later if I'm pregnant? If someone has had this type of issue I'd like to hear what they did to help fix cycle and get pregnant.

It took me until I was officially 8 weeks pregnant, already in maternity clothes and throwing up to pass a pregnancy test. I even had a pregnancy blood test at docs office ect. at 6 weeks and he said "You are not pregnant." I used to enjoy walking in front of his office with my huge 6 month belly after he made that pronouncement.

Sometimes you just know. Wait another week to test again. In the meantime assume you are pregnant and don't do anything you know is harmful to yourself or a potential life inside, ie ditch the cigarettes. And this is a good idea anyway if you are trying to get pregnant.

Hello

My husband and i have also been trying for a baby. I am now 3 weeks late and normally like clock work. I have had x4 Negitive HPT, 1x borderline and x2 positive. However the postives were a week back and now all i am getting is border line and negitive test's.......Confused!!

I am an Emergency nurse so used to the kits we use and have been using. I have also used other test's from super markets.

I do have sore breasts, mild weight gain, increased appetite not to mention tired most of the time! Yes all the symptoms just not the concreate results. 8-|

Have made an appointment with my GP for a beta HCG serum level so will see what that has in store for me. I have heard of pregant women reaching 16 weeks before they can get a postive result on a HPT. I have also heard of false postive test's but rearly false negitve test's. Yes i am worried i know it's early days but i can not help it. Im hoping my family GP will have the answers for me.

But thank you for all your post's they have helped, eased my mind and allowed me to hope.

Best wishes will keep you informed :-)

I am three weeks late. I took three tests and all were negative. I am getting a blood test tomorrow.
I do have one thing to add, the same exact thing happened when I was pregnant with my son. I took those HPT when I was late on my period with my son. I must have taken about 10 in a three months time and my son's father kept telling me that since they were negative, I can't be pregnant. Not until I was three months pregnant, when one finally came out positive and now... My son is 9 sitting on my couch and watching Star Wars, so I really don't rely to much on those tests. Go to the doctor if your not sure.
That's my advice.

Hey.. So, my last few periods have been on the 14th or the 16th of the month. In August I was about a week late, and it only lasted about two to three days. I'm still waiting for it to come this month. I'm almost three weeks late. My lower back is really hurting, and my breasts look different.. there's visible white bumps, and they're darker. I've taken two hpt and they've both come out negative. Am i just going crazy, or can I actually be pregnant? ... help !!

Hi all, I'm also in the same situation. My period is always regular. I have done 2 tests, one when i was 2 days late and the other this morning wich means that im now 7 days late and still no positive result :-( . I have headaches/cramping/discharge/swollen breasts/bloated/tired/moody/back pain, basicaly almost all the symptoms. but still no positive. any idea how long i must wait till i test again.
p.s I have a six year old son and only found out i was pregnant at 2 months. will it be the same or not

PLEASE HELP>>>