i just broke some glass, yelled on the phone at a few people, i'm totally raging when i am off this stuff.

If there is anyone else trying to withdraw from this medication, I am interested in your experiences and methods. "Guest" who wrote they've been going off if for 5 days: this is similar to what I'm trying...I try to go as many days as I can (just started this about 2 weeks ago)...so far I've gone about 3-4 days in a row...and then I will take about one-half of the dose I usually would take. It's psychologically very painful...and I applaud and thank all of the people who have posted here about their experiences. Maybe we can help each other through continuing to relate our experiences. It helps to know that the the "deadness" in spirit and mind that this stimulant *(with long term use) has caused might evenually be overcome. But I know it takes time. I wish there were a support group for us, because it is definitly like "one day at a time" -- only for me I feel like it is sometimes "one hour" or maybe even "fifteen minutes" at a time. The mixture of ADD and depression and feeling over-whelmed with the tasks that lie un-attended is definitly over-whelming, yet I join others who feel that stimulate medication is not the long-term answer.

I agree with "Guest" who wrote that their Dr. now wants to diagnose them as bi-polor. Same with me --and I also am fighting that dx., as I believe that any slight tendency toward that is definitly caused by the stimulant medication. (Although the Dr. says that anti-depressent meds. can cause a person to become bi-polar)! Wow, what an admission, as well as an "indictment" of the current "state of the art" psychiatric treatment plans!

I am witnessing a family member going through this..... High anxiety, paranoia, aggressiveness, suicidal thoughts. It's HORRIFYING. Currently he's trying to quit - few days now. Doctor is worried about him being psychotic/bipolar.
THIS DRUG IS DANGEROUS as users need more all the time. He's currenlty on 60mg/day, NOT FOCUSING, failing at school, depressed, and barely going through the motions of life.
This is so heartbreaking - no one should be allowed to stay on the drug for a long period of time (7 yrs in this case).
I don't know what to expect for withdrawal..... do they need MORE drugs to get through that as well?????
This subject is VERY HARD to get info on - from the web or from doctors!

okay. I have been addicted to adderall for almost three years now. I have tried to quit before........but the extreme fatigue and depression would cause my willpower to crumble bit by bit.

For those of you who "need" to fuss at others on this site........I do not care to be used to calm your own anxiety by "fussing" at me......as I have seen by other posts previous.

that said, I do get my prescriptions legally and have forced myself to ask her to lower my dosage every two months are so..............knowing that I was going to die if I didnt get a grip on this addiction........either by suicide or by starvation/malnutrition. I was 112 pounds two weeks go.......I am now 140.....AND I HAVE ONLY BEEN ADDERALL FREE FOR 10 DAYS.

Can someone tell me how this is possible and what I should do......I look like a different person.....in only a week and a half. i look pregnant.

I will say this.......yes the withdrawal is bad.......but after a good four days of sleep and rest.......its doable........as each day goes by.........life gets happier, better even.......I was driving down a country road the other day......one i drive every day to get home........and i mentally noted what a beautiful day it was and how pretty the scenery was.............which was a strange thought after three years of adderall......

anyway.......it doesnt matter what I think really............I just need to know if I should be concerned about the sudden weight/edema............or if this too shall pass

ps. oh, and i just had a good laugh as i see i cant post this until i count all the circles in the picture, I have already had to start over three times

i was with my boyfriend for over 8 months and we argued like any normal couple. we decided to move from texas to illinois to be with his grandparents. his grandma required him to take adderall that he had been perscibed for adhd over 3 years before. i noticed a change in him after about the first week of taking the medicine. he seemed to get more and more aggressive and irritable. now, he no longer lives here and im at a loss for what to do. is it possible that he no longer has adhd and he doesnt need to be taking the medicine? he doesnt feel like he needs the medicine so i know not taking it would be ok with him. please send me emails if anyone has any suggestions. i love him and its killing me to see him suffer. hes only 16.

Welp I have been taking adderall for about 5 years, at first It made everything much better...I had motivation, I was happy, getting work done, lost weight. It was great, now I'm sad to say I don't know who I'm anymore, my work is great, but personaly I'm unstable, and emotional, very scared to go off my medicine, but when a close family member says they think your a junkie it kinda send's some red flags. I want to stop but I'm scared without it I will be lazy as hell ( because when I don't take it I don't give a hoot about anything) I might fall of the ball at work, and thats about the only thing I've got going for me. I have no idea what to do but I'm feeling really bad. PLease help, any advise would be great. Oh and recently my doc has been thinking I may be some form of bipolar.

I have been taking adderall for about 6 months now. It all started at the end of may when I took 30mg to keep me up so I culd study for my finals. I then began to use them more frequently (3-5 a week) simply because i had an incredible amount of energy and i didnt feel any social anxiety (which i was currently taking citalpram for generalized anxiety). At one point I stoped taking them for almost 2 weeks and i went right back to them because they made me feel more alive and happy. Well after 4 months of consisting taking anywhere from 10mg-30mg a day I can now say that my moods are unstable. I dont sleep enough, I am becoming more esaily upset/inpatient, ill focus but not on important things, basically I want to get off of it. I am just afraid of the withdrawl. I cannot handle being tired all the time, and I have serious body issues and dont want to gain wieight. But I did talk to my doctor and she said there is a strong possibility that I have bipolar. this is because my moods whether on adderall or not are not predictable or consistant. one thing that woud make me happy one day, makes me angry the next. I always seem to have explainations for my highs and lows, but really there is no real reason. But i do know for a fact that although adderall may seem great at first it really has some serious long term affects that are not worth it. I hope I can get off for good and figure out the real root of my issues. Anyway if anyone has any advice for getting off adderall or about bipolar Id appreaciate hearing from you.

My 5 year old daughter is currently taking Adderrall 15 mg prescribed by our not so skilled Military healthcare. Our provider originally evaluated our daughter for what we assumed to be ADHD. After a very sloppily done evaluation we walked out and began the prescribed regimen; after 2 weeks the medicine seemed to allow for her to focus in kindergarten and basically stay out of trouble. Her school work looked pretty good; occasional doodling (we left room for flexibility) and basically allowed it as long as she seemed to benefit her.
To be honest, my wife and I never really felt good about this from the beginning but we knew that without some help my daughter would not sit still long enough to even finish a sentence. We have done loads of research and stumbled upon this life changing website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia6OGEj6wW0&feature=related
After we watched in desperation; we took the Adderrall out of the cabinet and tossed it into the garbage disposal. What we have decided to do is simply ride every action like water horse; closely. Yes she is wild! And may seem out of control; she is…but she is ours and ours to control. Ed

On a happier note, as opposed to most of your stories, adderall made my life much more balanced.

All my life I have had extreme organizational and focus issues, i could never finish anything I started, i couldn't remember ANYTHING (or at least keep focus on it) even things that should be habitual like brushing my teeth or bathing. I would constantly loose my books, binders, purses, money. I had to keep things in piles so as to not loose them. The worst part was that I desired so badly to succeed, my mind was so full of ideas but i couldn't make them reality. I would cry at school because no matter how hard i tried my mind would drift away and i would forget what i was supposed to be doing, and no one believed me or understood.

I begged my parents to let me see their psychiatrist, i wanted help, and he had helped my mom so much with managing her bipolar. My dad was extremely skeptical but my mom was encouraging, saying she was so proud of me for knowing there was a problem and asking for help.

I finally had an appointment to see him, he asked me what was wrong and he listened. He was so empathetic. He soothed me saying, how frustrating it must be for you to want to learn and create, when something holds you back from doing it. He was amazed at my ability to focus on artistic things for tremendous periods of time, saying is was "unusual, a special case." I could read a 500 page book in one sitting, and loose myself in my studio for hours but I couldn't remember to feed myself. He speculated that my left brain was so dominant that it was overpowering my right brain at all times. It would give me no chance to listen to a lecture, for my left brain would demand that i draw a picture in the corner of the page instead. I would be haunted at night with ideas for projects racing through my brain, giving me insomnia. He recommended a very small dose, and gave me a week to adjust it myself so that it fit my needs. I ended up taking 10mg in the morning and 5mg at noon.

When I began to take it my life really turned around. I could sleep at night, because ideas were no longer rushing through my head. I could focus at school, and everyone discovered that I was a very intelligent young girl. I stopped losing things (for the most part!), I could put my ideas into action, I could brush my teeth and take care of myself. I stopped getting stress related migraines. I could do everything I had dreamed of doing and learn and create and be a dependable person!

Adderall is clearly not the right medication for everyone. For me it was really the right thing, and it continues to help me.

Best of luck to you all!

Ive been on Aderall 5 years. I started with 30mgs XR but that was too much...felt too speedy. Then I suggested lowering it to 20mg and was on that for a couple of years. I have always been a little edgey and aggressive and really didnt notice a differnce. However, my family and friends did; but because I went thru a fairly traumatic event, it was always written off to that. Then one day a friend of mine who was around my same age (Mid 40's) and also on Aderall had a minor disagreement with me. His argument turned quickly to rage. I saw for the first time, what my friends and family were seeing for years. The worst thing about the rage, and something I have not seen discussed here, is the non remorse. The next day I saw my friend and was ready for his appology and he saw he did nothing wrong. Then I realized I did the same thing too. Not only do you defend your rage, or write it off as you just getting a little upset, but the next day, instead of feeling bad about your actions, you feel totally justified. I wonder if anyone else here on Aderall, or a loved one of someone on Adderall, recognizes what I am talking about.

The next week after this incident with my friend I switched to 10mg XR, but that wasnt enough. So now I've been on 15mg XR for a couple of years and it seems to have regulated my temper and i dont have the maniac outbursts as much as I used to, and certainly not as severe.

The problem I have is I lost my Health Benefits and was faced with finding an alternative. Luckily for me I did a 3 year stint in the US Army 27 years ago and found out I was eligible for VA Health insurance. The problem is the VA is slow (My 1st Med Eval. is 1/27/09), and does not use Adderall. The dont prescribe it at all. I made sure I "Stocked" up the last day of my old insurance, and I always kept the extras from all the diffrenet dosages I had experimented with. But last week (Christmas Eve) I decided to stop. I figured, if I couldnt get it; why continue. I had skipped a day or two over the last few ytears and experienced what veryone else here has; the depression and almost flu like vegitative state. My wife could always tell when I didnt take my pill. I had always chalked this up to the Adderall not only working on my ADD but also some pretty deep underlying depression. I was almost relieved to find out here its probably been the early withdrawl symptoms of the Adderall all along.

Anyway, I've been off a week now and the headches are intense. Nothing relieves them either. Even as I'm writing this, my head is pounding, and this is after I've taken 3 advil and two tylenol. I hope these headaches end soon.

Another weird thing is my insomnia still hasnt changed. I still get very little sleep. One doctor who specializes in ADD said this is more of a symptom of ADD than the Adderall. I hope it all ends soon though, along with this cloud of depression and unwillingness to do anything. I own a store, work by myself, and am under the gun to pay the bills. I hope this wasnt bad timing on my part.

I'd love to hear if anyone is going thru the same thing with these headaches and if there's another remedy other than time. Thanx for letting me vent.

This drug turned my life upside down. At first Aderall seems to good to be true. I was extremely happy, full of energy and very social. I never even seen what Aderall was doing to me it changed me as a person and it took me about a year to notice it. I became very angry, frustrated, and had zero patients with anyone. I have been off Aderall for about a week with plans to never take it again. The withdrawal sucks i just want to sleep and have almost zero motivation to do anything let alone go to class. Aderall = Bad

Things will get better it just a matter of time

I've been on Adderall for about 8 weeks now, and I can't really say how much of what I'm experiencing is going to go away or not. The first four or five weeks were absolutely amazing, I felt cheerful, energetic, productive, etc., which was a huge change since I was right on the verge of coming out of a 2 year long depressive episode. I stopped adderall for a week or so to try a new medicine after about 4 weeks on adderall. This was because I started noticing hyperactive bursts that had now replaced my depressive mood crashes. Only these were shorter lived and much more frequent. But back to the point, I just started adderall again three weeks ago, and unfortunately I haven't quite managed to take it regularly. Letting it lapse seems to cause complete exhaustion, and I can sleep for upwards of 15 hours every night (haven't been off of it long enough consistently to see if this goes away). When resuming the medicine the next day, I will usually experience irrational bursts of anger and irritation for the next 2 or 3 days. They seem to decrease very slowly, but right now I'm having considerable trouble acting like myself whether I am on or off Adderall.

I haven't had the time to see if these side effects will go away again or not, nor have I been able to figure out how to deal with them/ pacify them. I'd suggest seeing your primary or any doctor for that matter about what alternatives to adderall might work. I don't know how you'll react, but I had an absolutely terrible reaction to Focalin. Paranoia, irritability, insomnia, anger... just generally felt neurotic that whole week. It was incredibly unpleasant. Just a heads up though. Good luck! I'm on the same journey.

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but yeah I'm having some issues coming off of Adderall XR. I've only been on it for a few months, but the side effects (dry-mouth, mood swings, loss of sexual interest) are too much for me to handle. I tried to step down my does from 2/day to 1, but I've been having awful head aches and have noticed my mood swings are even more severe than before. Back to the GP for something else I guess.

Okay, there is a common misconception of medication, the medication helps but it will never solve the problem, i have been Suffering with ADHD for 23 years, on and off different medications and many different diagnosis, stick with the medication ur currently taking and try to add a med that works on the aggression and depression i'm currently taking martazapine to help with the aggression and depression and the effexor xr for adhd

Well first off a little about me, im 5'11", 150-160 pounds, 22, and a smoker. and ive been on adderall since I was 11.

Early age dosage was a 10 XR in the morning
Teen age dosage was a 20 XR in the morning
Currently my dosage is a 30 XR in the morning

How I feel and do on it (workdays):
I feel slightly jittery, no feelings of parnoia, no mood swings, I feel a strong drive to accomplish the task at hand, less distraction from exterior stimuli.
I feel like after i finish my current task I need to find something else to do right away. I chain smoke when on it. I don't regain my appetite till later at night. I can see the broader picture of things. Easily stressed at times. It makes me much more talkative and open with people.
Rarely there have been instances when I try to wake up from a nap and, I find myself in a kind of paralytic state that lasts for a couple of seconds to a minute.

How I feel and do when im off (weekends):
I feel lethargic, I have no drive to do anything productive, I go without smoking completely with no cravings at all. Over-eating is a major issue, I eat even though I know I'm full, I find myself rummaging through the fridge for no reason. I typically dont feel any emotions related to depression, nor mood swings. I find no trouble in getting to sleep. To get myself up off the couch to mow the lawn is a battle.
I have rarely suffered the withdrawl symptoms of those mentioned in other posts.

Note: Hang-overs do not exist for me, trust me i've tried.

The reason might be in the fact that my body, over the many years of adderall use, has come to acclimate itself around the drug. Therefore my habits and behaviour on it are "normal" as opposed to how I am not on it.

In summary: My taking of Adderall from childhood through puberty and into adulthood has possibly altered my personality, tolerance and how my body deals with the drug, and its absence.

I have been on this stuff for so long I truly don't know if that little orange pill is really who I am.