I've been on Adderall XR or Concerta for the past 8 years.  I started taking it after I was about to fail out of high school, and was diagnosed as ADD.  I was able to turn things around and graduate from High School and College, all with my little "friend" to help me.

I have an addictive personality to certain things, and if I have these pills around, I will end up taking them.  The thought of not taking them has become frightening, as my dependence has grown.  Over the past 8 years, I feel like these pills have destroyed the laughable, lovable, spontaneous, and funny person I was before, and I would love to have that person back.  These pills turned me into a robot, with great ability to produce results, but little ability to have "human" emotions.

After having a mess up with my latest prescription, I have been without the pills for the past 5 days.  I have been eating constantly, laying in bed all day (Unless I have to go somewhere), and the brain fog is dense.  I am unable to perform at work, as I cannot focus.

I don't want to be a slave to a pill anymore, and I hope these side effects diminish at least partially, so that I will have some ability to perform at work.  Now that I am older, and understand that I have some troubles focusing, I hope to manage those problems in an alternative way than stimulant medication.  I just hope the withdrawal symptoms subside sooner rather than later.

You can do it Kev. My son is going through the weight gain too. He gained 60 lbs in 3 months.

Thank you for the support ms_buzzie, I appreciate it. I fear I will be gaining some weight, too, if I decide to continue stimulant free..

Sorry last message sent before I was done. My son has gained a good bit of weight but also gained his human emotions. He is learning how to deal with focusing. Over the course of 7 years he was up to 50mg/ a day of adderal xr. June of this year he was tapered down in 1month to none. The first month after was hell but with the help of some really great friends he got through it. He is still isn't quite his old self but he is coming along nicely. It's great to see him show emotion again. :-)

Yes, I've been off of Adderall for over ten months now and I don't think I could have stopped even if it wasn't for the fact that the price had gone up. I mean I was paying like fifty five dollars for it and then it went to about eighty dollars and over. And one pharmacy had quoted me the price of over three hundred dollars. I was thinking okay this isn't going to work. I filled my last prescription of Adderall December of last year and  I don't regret it.

I have a strong personality so the Adderall really pretty much did the opposite of what it was supposed to do and it made me really aggressive. I was pulled over several times for aggressive driving and I was almost arrested but was let go with a warning.

Currently, I am exploring other options which includes Straterra or Intuitiv. My boyfriend right now doesn't want me to take anything and I don't blame him. I'm tired of being on medications for the moment.

If you are using this to be "higher-functioning" in school or "overcommitted" at work and not because of a legitimate ADD/ADHD complication-listen up! I haven't read each post, but enough to want to comment on the "rage" symptom of this horrible drug.  It effects your brain like Meth and Cocaine and besides the possiblility of altering your mental state forever it can ruin marriages, careers and lives when abused.  The withdrawl and rage that can accompany is no joke.  If you have a loved one using and/or abusing this drug-do not have any weapons in your home.  Look at the NFL-players and coaches use this as a performance enhancer and are finally getting caught-but it could be too late for some.  Problems happen when you overdose on the drug-taking more than the prescribed dose (because like any upper, you need more and more to get "straight") then you go a day or two without (usually because you've crashed so hard you sleep for 24 hours) you wake up out of your mind angry at everything for no reason. I know if my husband had a gun while going through any one of his withdrawl rages-he would have killed me-no question.  After several years of using and abusing this drug he had three different doctors prescribing it to keep up with his addiction as well as trading it at work (which caused a whole new host of problems).  His view of reality was altered and eventually he had a Psychotic break that put him in a mental hospital. So, from someone who experienced this abuse for many years, please get help if you are one of those people that run out of your 30 day supply in two weeks-you are ABUSING the drug and it will bring you, your family and career crashing down. 

I had such bad rage I would take it at 5 am after eating breakfast because other wise I did not eat my mom would force me at dinner to eat.. but at about 5 pm I would get so mad my twin would eat a sandwich after school and just hearing her chew the food had made me so violent or if she gulped to loud I would want to kill her I had never had that issue and I took adderall xr I'm just not sure what mg because I have not taken it in 5 years if anyone asked me to stop my studying to take out trash or eat I would get ridiculously angry and violent throwing stuff breaking stuff cussing out my family but other than that I immediately got better grades loved studying I loved it but my family didn't like me on it they wanted to hospitalize me several times due to my rage but even though I haven't taken them in years I still have the rage if someone is chewing to loud or drinking to loud or breathing to loud my husband used to snore a lot and oh man I would get so angry I still do does anyone have this also it completely confuses me I never felt so angry for such normal things I mean when I was super young I had bad rage issues but I was told I had adhd and bi polar the manic one I don't remember what type that is. But does anyone have these weird effects afterward

How is it going, Kev?

Thanks everyone, all your replies have helped me understand how different the effects of the med w d can be

I was on Paxil for major depression & panic for close to 20 yrs. I had Klonopin prn for major panic attacks and rarely took it. 

I stopped taking Paxil CR as I had no job, divorced and no insurance. The wd was unreal. I had tried to go off it in the past with no success as the wd symptoms from Paxil were too unbearable. 

I am off Paxil for 3 mos now. Hard to know if I will have to go back on an anti depressant as my symptoms of acute wd (cold turkey) are now passed - but not the depression.

I was prescribed generic adderall 2 yrs ago when I went for continuing ed classes. Was working on becoming certified and could not focus. I know I have always had major trouble focusing. Dr put me on generic adderall. For me, the initial result was a hard punch of what I feel was a high. It subsided relatively quickly and smooth out. The smooth out meant I was calmer. More compassionate and listened more. I could not tolerate the two doses I was prescribed and generally took only one tablet per day. 

Two tablets caused me to grit my teeth and my eyes to hang out at the ends of their roots like I was surprised. 

Now that I am off paxil and klonopin, the one tablet crash hits later day. I feel worthless. Empty. Depressed. Cry. The depression is far worse. So bad I become afraid and the social anxiety is worse. 

I started thinking I needed to go back on an anti depressant or try vyvanse as it is longer acting. As I read through some of the personal experiences here, I am wondering this> could the depression be from generic adderall as I wears off and I do not take the second tablet mid day? 

Can anyone please seriously comment on this if you have experience? My doctor is aloof and dismissive and I dont have money to go back and forth to him every time I have a question. Thank you

Did you try to ask your pharmacist? They may know. Please hang in there.

I was so glad to find this thread. I'm having some serious rage issues with the generic Adderall XR. When I was younger, I had a wretched temper, but I'd thought I'd outgrown it and I try to practice being grateful and living the law of attraction. I've been diagnosed for 12 years, but recently, my doctor changed my thyroid medication and the coffee I used to self medicate stopped working. I'm a writer. I have to produce or I don't put food on the table. So, I can't afford any of that artistic fit c**p. I went from producing 10K words a day to 400. So I caved and asked for meds. I'm only on 15mg, and it's done wonders for my concentration but I've had this constant ear popping and unreasonable rage. I'm glad it's not just me, but the med is working for the concentration. So I'm hoping there's something else I can do to counteract the side effects. 

Adderall is a very dangerous medication. We are in a life and death struggle with our 23 year old son who has had a prescription for adderall for almost 3 years. If and when we get through this, my mission will be to find out how to get this drug off the market. There are other choices out there that are safe and effective if you have ADHD. Our son was never diagnosed with ADHD, but it helped him become a superstar college student. I guess it worked for him for a little while to some degree.....until it didnt.

This is very true...you must get help. Our son has become psychotic from this medicine. More people should know that psychosis and rage are side effects of this prescribed medication. One of the possible side effects that should be highlighted on each bottle is insanity or brain damage. Maybe people would hesitate to take it then.

First of all , let me apologize for giving you a negative vote. I was on my kindle Fire and accidentally pushed the wrong one.

My son was on this stuff for 7 years with no testings done until he demanded off of it and then he was told to have an EKG run. This is one dangerous drug. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The rage was only one of the effects my son ended up with. At one point any little noise would bother him. He had bruises galore. One was about 4" in diameter in the bend where his leg meets his foot. At no time did the psychiatrist seem concerned. He just wanted to give him antidepressants and sleeping pills. It has been 9 months since he took his last Adderall XR and thank God he is doing great!

Dear SadMom,
You will get through this. There were days that my son called me an unfit mother and threatened to physically hurt me if I didn't move out of his way. It hurt really bad to hear him talk like that and only dreamed of the day that I could have my son back. My son was on it for 7 years and finally on his own got off of the stuff. I had asked the psychiatrist to take him off, to lower his dosage anything to make him better. His solution was always antidepressants and sleeping pills. After he hit 18, the Dr wouldn't even talk to me. When my son totally flipped out I called the Dr to ask what was going on. They told me that he obviously was on some kind of drugs that he had purchased on the street. The problem was my son didn't leave our house for days on end and no one came in. All his friends were on the internet. He was just withdrawing from Adderall XR. That was 9 months ago. He wanted nothing more to do with medication. He has had some setbacks but has come back nicely thanks to the help of a couple of really great friends that stuck by him. He laughs and smiles and jokes around now. He even has discovered "new" foods that he forgot he liked. Yes, he has gained weight but is working to take it off.
I guess what I am trying to say is hang in there, it's going to get better. And when you find out how to get this drug off of the market please let me know. I would love to help. Too many kids are getting hurt by this drug than need be.

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use