I have been on adderall for about 5 years now. Throughout school, it really did help me focus and especially throughout my Masters program. I am now 28 and have been using it at work. I only take 10mg-15mg a day. I know that doesn't sound like a lot but as currently people had posted, it is very addictive and you seriously wake up in the morning unable to get your day started till you pop a pill. I have noticed that when I drive (I have no idea why it's when I drive) I have panic attacks. One was so bad that I seriously felt my body get stiff and my heart rate went skyrocketing. This morning I drove to work and and I didn't even take any and I had a minor one which makes me think that even when I'm OFF of it, the side effects of taking it so long are still there. If you need it, that's fine. If you think you can work/study without it, I'd encourage you to try. I have gone a week or so (waiting for another perscription to be filled) and been fine other than being really tired. Today, I'm done with it forever. I threw away what I had and figure that I'm going to have to do it sometime, why not today. There are no longer term studies on this drug since it is somewhat prevalent and more frequently handed out. I think our generation (I'm 28) will be the test bunnies to see how this effects our heart health long term.

Hello. Long time adderall user here, adhd without a doubt in my mind and prescribed adderall. as a matter of fact, i'm on adderall right now. No, i will not be using super correct grammar or capitalizing my i's, etc. grammar nazi's be warned....

Ok, i actually searched "adderall causing rage/aggression" in order to find this forum. and honestly, i can't believe how addicted some of these people are to the medication. Ironically, people with ADHD are more susceptible to any kind of addiction, which is probably why this drug is so controlled. (oh, yeah, and it's like a legal watered down cocaine. without the god factor.) I have to say, lawdy. i have never been as obsessed with the medication or even experience half of the dependancies im reading about here. The one person above me who was completely ecstatic in every manner and used way too many exclamation points to be healthy, along with too much adderall to be healthy. extreme paranoia along with several other conditions listed probably have nothing to do with the adderall itself, whatsoever. My brother takes adderall and 20 MG XR each day, and doesn't have any of those symptoms. I take a larger dose, 40MG XR each day, and experience 1 symptom only. The winner of side effects, is of course rage. I can relate to so many people here when they say as the pill wears off, they experience intense rage which is nothing like theyve ever experienced before. To be honest, i've been in fights where i've given the other person stitches (I'm 6'4, 220 pounds) and i haven't been as mad or aggressive as when i'm coming down of adderall. I know i shouldn't be admitting this, but this feeling is incredibly similar to coming down from cocaine. Yes, i tried it. I know, i'm an aweful person whos feeding the drug cartels money and killing countless innocent children and families daily. I've done it twice, spending a total of 100 dollars on it (1 gram is roughly 50 dollars for me) so, meh. i honestly never got addicted to coke, but i can see why people do. The feeling you get when you come down from it is absolutely horrible, so naturally you look for more of it in order to stop from coming down. Stopping that addiction is as easy (its actually quite hard) as not buying more. also, dont do small amounts for prolonged periods of time.. thats a good way to get addicted as well.

These bouts of rage are unrivaled in intensity. I too, find myself reaching for coffe in the later hours of the night after my adderall has worn off in order to feed my stimulant craving. So i guess i could call myself a light addict, but then again i've been drinking coffee like that since i was 7 or 8. But adderall definately does contribute to my cravings for it after its worn off... it also takes AWAY my craving for coffee while im on it.

Ok, time to dip back into the realm of illegal substances and killing families, blah blah blah, typical stuff. The ONLY thing, and i really cant stress ONLY enough here, that has ever taken away my rage or aggression from coming down from adderall is.. pot. bud. chronic. whatever you want to call it. i will buy kush, or skunk (most people do not have access to specific types of pot like i do without being in that business for a while, so if you do wind up doing this you'll probably get something called "dro" or "mids/30's") Anyway, i buy specific types of pot because of their chemical composition. Quick lesson here for anyone who wants to get away from the rage, easily, without addiction. THC (tetrahydrocannibinol, the active ingredient in pot) is made of Sativa, and Indica. Indica give you that body high, relaxes muscles and helps you sleep. Its also the one that causes the munchies, sadly. If you have insomnia related from adderall, go ahead and get this. If you suffer from the cute little rage part of adderall, you're looking for Sativa- which gives you a "head high" or, releases dopamines and makes you happier/more calm. I prefer Skunk and Kush, because they are both Sativa dominant HYBRIDS. kush, being my favorite, is about 60% sativa and 40% indica. The sativa in this helps with my rage to no extent, i cant even begin to describe how much this has helped me deal with adderall side effects. Another side effect i get from adderall which is a common amphetamine side effect, is grinding my jaws/tensing my muscles. If any else has this problem, they know that you can strain muscles by tensing them too long, and it can actually cause serious pain in the neck/back, which can cause tension headaches. Sadly, a massage is much more expensive that pot, so that was not an option for my tension. Indica, the "body high" part, helps relax muscles (as its basically a muscle relaxant, even though it isn't by definition or by chemical composition) helps me with my jaw grinding and stops me from tensing up my muscles.

I know, pot is bad mmk, along with all other drugs. If you really think pot is bad for you, you need to go do actual founded research about it. Every drug has its bads and its goods. Pot, when used over long periods of time (often recreationally) can actually increase blood pressure and slow down metabolism. It does not have the carcinogens that a cigarette has, and therefore does not have anywhere NEAR the cancer causing properties many people believe it has. back to the subject of helping relieve addrawl (adderall withdrawl) rage.

Kush, skunk, dro, etc.. are all more potent types of bud. Dro being commonly the least potent of the strains i mentioned in this line. because of Kush's potency, all you need to take is roughly 1 or 2, RARELY 3, hits from a bowl. i've only needed 1 hit from a bong in most scenarios, rarely 2. If you roll a joint, often times you will need half of it to all of it depending on how well it was rolled and how much was rolled in it. you get much less THC from the smoke of a joint than you would for the same volume of smoke from a bowl or bong. Don't forget, that paper is burning too!

20 dollars will buy you roughly 1 gram of most strains of kush or dro. Same thing goes for mids, even though they are weaker, you need to get to know dealers/have connections to buy the name brand c**p such as kush. For anyone who has ever smoked, they know that unless you are a complete and total pot junky, 1 to 2 hits is not alot of your bud. in fact, i've had 1 gram of bud last me about 10 to 14 days. I know some people are already paying a boatload of money for their adderall prescription, but 10-15 dollars a week in order to get rid of almost all side effects of adderall is beyond a healthy investment in my eyes. If you are against smoking, feel free to not take my advice. i am notadvocating the use of pot, merely stating what i have found works in relieving me of my side effects/symptoms, and giving a very quick (yes, this wall of text is considered very quick) over view of how pot helps rather than going "smoke pot lol helps alot smoke weed err day 420 ditch school" pot head c**p. while i myself could be labeled a complete p0thed (i have to change spelling due to language filter....) (i used to be, and found that very little changed other than my metabolism, and at certain times would be more lethargic than i had before i smoked alot) I remained who i am through those days, and never changed. No i am not a drop out, and yes, i have a future ahead of me.

Most people see potheads as those giggling, laughing, stupid, food devouring people you see at a cheap all you can eat buffet or ordering way too much from the mcdonalds dollar menu. Thats not from taking 1 or 2 hits. The only times i found myself in situations like that is back when i had first started smoking, and intentionally would smoke the entire gram or a gram and a half between 2 people. roughly 10 small/medium hits per person. or, 5 times what i've ever needed to smoke to take away the intense adderall caused rage.

If you want to get the most out of your pot, i suggest you use a screen (a small circular piece of mesh-wire metal that stops the pot from being sucked down into the bong water, or sucked into the bowl.) using a screen lets you hold the flame to pot thats been almost completely used, so that you actually get THC from the resin left over from the plant. screens cost about 3 dollars for 10 of them, and you can get about 5 to 6 hits out of what normally would give you 3 to 4. in the long run, it actually saves money and saves you from the side effects.

If adderall did not cause the rage that it causes, i would not be smoking pot in the fashion i am today. 1 to 2 hits of pot will not get you "messed up, mannn." it will give you at most, a head buzz. Then again, thats the only thing you're looking for. If you truly only want to use pot as a live/kidney/addiction free healthy alternative to pain killers/alcohol/prescribed downers, then you won't need more than that amount of pot whenever you get that anger. If you don't get the anger, don't smoke the pot. that simple.

Heres hoping pot becomes legal so i don't have to worry about it as much as i do. I honestly feel pot is the healthiest, simplest, and BEST solution to getting rid of withdrawal symptoms that certain users experience, or side effects that people like me also suffer from.

Again, i apologize for talking your ears off, but i am on adderall so my explanations tend to be a bit more wordy than they would normally need to be. However, if the users here are as cautious or seek the knowledge that i sought about what it is im doing to my body, what im putting in to my body, and how it works, then i feel i am just trying to give an explanation about something that not many people are well versed in. I'm fortunate enough to have copious amounts of free time during my summers before my current employment, and medical/pharmaceuticals was one subject that i was always fascinated in. Since i woke up at about 6 or 7 AM, i would read articles and look up these things until a friend woke up or someone could do something.

If you have further questions about pot or an alternative to getting help for the side effects, you can contact me at ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use
, a personal account made just to get in touch with anyone who has questions about anything i've said.

You can also shout at me and let me know that i'm a bad person for smoking pot. I'm aware that i am the number 1 cause of divorce, poverty, hurricanes AND terr0rist attacks on our country because of my nasty and unescapable (is that a word? lol) addiction to this green drug. Any and all emails are welcome.

Love and peace all. Stay safe, and stay healthy.

P.S. My sarcastic side tends to poke its head out quite often when it comes to people yelling at me about things that i know plenty of information about. Actually, im sarcastic with everything i do. haha, sorry!!

I am not sure where your getting your adderall from but mine costs me 58.00 a month I get 60 20mg pills and do not have insurance. I get generic ofcourse and that is fine with me it does the same thing. My dose got uped to 40mg and costs me 38.00 because the less amount of pills. I am not sure where your looking or checking but they do have assistance for medications depending on states. I know it is a horrible thing to not be able to pay for medications needed and I feel for you. I would call all pharmacy's and check out the prices there needs or has to be some sollution.

I wont lie and say I went through every page but it seems like there are an awful lot of people who really dont think anyone should be taking this drug.

I thought I might toss in my opinion from the other side. I am a 24 year old male and I have been on Adderall sense Feb, so 9 months. This was the last medicine that I tried after going through a long list. I started at 15mgs of the XR and right now I take 30mg XR twice a day. I have been at this dose for about 3 months. I do notice some of the side effects (loss of appetite and dry mouth) but those really seem to be the only ones that I have. I don't notice any fits of anger or rage when I am coming down, and honestly I don't even always notice it...its very, smooth for me. I have always been an emotional person but this doesn't seem to make it any worse at all. I have no issues sleeping, that relate to this medicine...and to be honest when I started taking this I slept better than I have in years. I never once felt wired or amped or jittery or anything like that. I have found that I take mine a little different, I always take my first pill in the am when I wake up at around 7am. Depending on how I feel and how the day seems to be going kind of decides if I take the second one which would be around 2pm. This seems to work well for me and at the same time it gives me a bit of comfort knowing that even though I use this drug to help me function better it isn't controlling me...or at least that's what I tell myself.

You asked about the withdraw effects so I guess I should throw in my two cents on that. I did go off of it for about a week due to issues with my insurance. There were some effects: nausea, headaches, being annoyed but nothing major that I couldn't deal with and to be honest I was sick at the time so I am not even sure if they were related. I am not sure on the truth to this but I was told if a person is legitimately taking adderall for an illness that needed it that the withdraw effects would be very minimal and there may be none at all. I cant say that, that makes 100% sense to me but at the same time I am not a Dr. If its prescribed to you and it helps, take it....if not or theres other things out there that you are more comfortable taking then dont take it and try them.

I hope that this helps in some way. thanks.

To everyone reading and writing on this post... perhaps the anger, rage and other behavioral changes have more to do than just adderall. Please do not misunderstand me as I have no doubt that being on amphetamines regularly and then altering dosage (up or down) should, could and probably would bring about changes in mood and behavior... but perhaps there is more to our emotions than just medication? For those who have health insurance, may I suggest psychoanalysis to supplement the medication... in my experience, it's the combination of the two that has helped me the most (we all have unresolved underlying issues to a certain degree and it is truly a developed skill to understand the complexity of one's own emotions and moods). Best of luck and wishes to all.

My amphetamine withdrawal was sometimes painful and scary but finally I managed to overcome these horrifying symptoms. I strongly recommend everybody to get amphetamine withdrawal ebook ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed It really help me to overcome my addiction!

Peace and love to everybody!

i have been taking adderall for a year now,everyday,20mg. i have all the sudden quit taking them,and my withdrawls are nothing like any here that ive read. i am having extreame body pain,like in my joints,i have no appitite and i feel as though ive been exercising for days non stop!has anyone else had theses kind of witdrawls?

I've been on adderall and adderall xr for 5 years now. I started just with xr 30mg one a day in college because i was failing out and a friend offered me some. Then i got my script and took 30mg xr everyday. I also would take another 30mg xr before i went out to bars at night and ate sleeping pills to fall asleep. Then i didn't have enough to last a month so I convinced my doctor to give me 60 qty 20mg instant release a month on top of the 30mg xr. Now i take a 30mg xr every morning still plus a 20mg ir at mid-day and another 20mg ir in the evening. Sometimes i take more if i have a lot of things to do. 

On average I take about 80-100 mg of adderall a day. I smoke a pack a day of cigs on adderall as well. I have quit cold turkey twice, and I seriously felt like I was going through a serious drug addiction withdrawal. I didn't smoke one cigarette the whole time. It took about a week of just being a couch potato, didn't work, didn't go out side, didn't shower, it was pretty bad. I was just extremely exhausted with no energy and felt pretty depressed. Eventually however I did feel better and seemed like every day was getting better as well.

But, with my schedule and need to stay on my game to land my career... plus I'm addicted to that sh*t like no other, I'm taking 80-100 mg a day again. Its so hard to stop because I feel like it would be quitting something that makes me better at everything that I do in life, and the problem is that it does.

I'm worried about the side-effects in the future but have no plan on quitting any time soon. 

I can't report any "mental health" or personality changes though. I just feel a lot better with my adderall, much more relaxed, concentrated... but irritable w/o it and crave.

I've been taking Adderall XR 20mg for about 8 months and stopped it three days ago. I haven't experienced any aggression off of it but while on it I had bouts of what felt like uncontrollable rage. I also felt like I was becoming tolerant to my dosage so that maybe where the rage came from over the past month. I was also feeling clumsy, scatterbrained, and forgetful like I used to.

Anyway though over the past few days I've been combating this "withdrawal" by making sure I keep moving, I notice when I sit for too long I get unbelievably tired. I also take 20mg of NADH 30 minutes before I eat along with L-Tyrosine and Panax Ginsing(SP?) ((In another 30 minutes you can also take Zinc and vitamin B-6, I just skip that because what I've been doing works well for me)) Then I take Vinpocetine when I have to eat. That seems to be doing me well as well as exercising and staying active.

I get drained and I end up falling asleep around 8 or 9 and sleep until 9-10am, I hate that I can't jump out of bed when I want to but at least I go to sleep when I want to now O.o. I also don't feel drugged anymore... while I'm still inattentive... I notice I can feel more as in my emotions, I don't feel numb. I feel a bit more relaxed now and laid back.

Me and my boyfriend are both 23 and are experiencing the same thing except he's the one with ADHD and has medication he just missed his appointment and ran out because he had to work. We had been having small fights here and there but would talk through them as well. I didn't notice how progressively his symptoms were coming back. 

He takes 10mg generic Adderall twice a day and I don't exactly know when he ran out. I also have done extensive research into the effects of ADHD and understand quite a bit but sometimes I forget he has it because his medication works really well for him when he takes it. Are fights have started to get worse and one time he got so angry that he left me, he got very hung up on something I said and he said he could never forgive me. I am also pregnant with his child. The main thing I noticed during our last fight was his lack of remorse, and laying blame on me for things that were not my fault or taking things out of context. He wouldn't even talk to me without getting very frustrated, I have decided instead of trying to get him to come back I will leave him alone, no matter how hard and how much it hurts me for him to be gone. 

I decided to call our doctors office and see if it was him being off his medication that could be making it hard for him to forgive me or grasp the misunderstanding we had and forgive me but no one answered, a few hours later his doctors office called to say that his prescription had been filled. 

The way he normally gets his medication is by going in for a monthly appointment then he gets a prescription, he hadn't even been to an appointment and I believe they listened to my message and got a hold of his doctor to let him know what was going on, he has an appointment but it isn't for another couple days. 

I'm glad he got his medication but am I hoping for too much for his medication to start taking affect and for him to realize he didn't really mean what he said and change his mind and come back? Recently we have spoken and he said he had already thought of coming back but something happened at work that may have been caused by me and he says that was something also that he could not get over so as far as I can tell he may not come back. He has only been back on his medication for a day or so I am hoping that he get's his forgiveness back because up till he went off his medication he was very patient, understanding and forgiving.

I understand that it's not a magic pill but he was fine before he went off and we had tiny fights and apologized in the same day before he went off his medication.

Thank you to whoever reply's to my post because I hope someone has some insight into the possibility that the things that happened could have been affected mostly by his withdrawals and his symptoms returning 3 times as bad.

I AM SO SORRY FOR YOU. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD CONTINUE AT LEAST UNTIL YOU GET OUT OF SCHOOL. AFTER YOU CAN WORK ON WHAT YOU FEEL YOU SHOULD DO. PLEASE DO IT WITH A DR. SO MABY HE CAN HELP WITH THE WITHDRAWAL. MY GRANDSON IS IN 7TH GRADE AND IS VERY TINY BECAUSE OF THE MEDICAN. CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT DOES THE WITHDRAWAL FEEL LIKE AND HOW BAD IS IT? I WILL KEEP YOU IN MY PRAYERS AND I HAVE FAITH THAT YOU WILL DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOURSELF BECAUSE GOD IS ALWAYS WITH YOU AND WILL HELP IF YOU ASK. HANG IN THERE, RHONDA

I totally know what you mean! I hate hate hate being on Adderall or Ritalin. I am in Nursing school and would never pass if I didn't take Adderall, not because I am not smart, but because I can't focus when I read and study. Hate the come down of stimulants and can't wait to be myself again.

That is exactly how I am. I take Adderall XR 20mg twice a day for the past 2 years. At first, it was like finally being the person that I have so wanted to be for a VERY long time. I could concentrate, very productive but the past year in the morning and late evening, if my kids spill a juice, yell while playing ect.... i just loose it. I yell and scream at them and if it is in the morning, the first thing out of my wife's mouth is "did you take your meds yet" and once they are taken and doing their thing, i am "normal" again. I have just recently become aware of this because i had just been making excuses; too tired, kids should listen better when i really should have been thinking is it the meds that are causing this and not the "lack of meds". i stopped taking it and for a week until i was able to change to dex, i have barely been able to function. Falling asleep at or going to/from work, during supper you name it. Just started Dex today and I am hoping things turn around.

i have been taking adderall sence i was 8 im almost 21 now and the mood swings are normal while on this med, i grew up with it so i dont know anything different

Hey al, sorry this is late. When I didn't have good insurance, my doctor had me take generic Ritalin (methylphenidate). It is much cheaper,even to pay the whole thing. I had nausea issues, and long-acting would have been better, but it was all I could afford. I was going to a charity social services place, with a sliding scale payment plan.. It is not great, but I was being monitored at least, and it I proved my symptoms somewhat until I got better insurance three years later.