This is the most valuable resource that I have found on the net while I've been researching tonsillectomies. I'm 26 and have had problems with my tonsils for the past 4 years. Weirdly enough, I never had any problems as a kid. I get swollen tonsils with yucky food bits and pus in them that I can't help but squeeze out periodically because it grosses me out having them there. I get sick every few weeks so I am ready to have this surgery. Anyhow I have a horrid bout of tonsillitis right now that has lasted 3 weeks and am now puking due to the cephalexin capsules that I was given as the amoxicillin for 2 weeks didn't work. 8-|

I have now been told by my Dr that I need a tonsillectomy asap and am seeing an ENT surgeon next week to see when it can be done. The stories that I have read on here have been really helpful. Did most of you have it done as a day procedure? Can you share the experience ?

Thanks for a great forum!

I am 23 and I work at the Family Doctors and I have had strep A 4 times since June 25, 2007. Also Strep C 2 times since August 8, 2007. Back in 2000 I had a really bad case of strep that gave me Nepharitis, which is kidney failure. I almost died if I hadn't went to the Dr's. So now I have a consult with the ENT tomorrow. Wish me luck!

I am 36, and had a tonsilectomy monday evening. came around from the operation wondering what the fuss was all about, left hospital next morning feeling pretty good. Then wham, started feeling unwell Wednesday, upset tummy, terrible pain in throat and ears, but worst of all the most awful smell and taste in my mouth, which drove other family members to take refuge in other rooms of the house because they said my breath smelt like sewage! hopefully it wont last long.

K_RUN3TN wrote:

Good luck :) . My tonsillectomy is scheduled for Oct. 25 (the earliest time that I will have a 2-week window for recovery, due to work obligations and my son's soccer schedule). I have had strep 3 times since the beginning of July, and 2 or 3 more times in the past year. The ENT took one look at my tonsils and said "they're coming out"

*Kat wrote:

Did most of you have it done as a day procedure?

Mine will be an outpatient procedure. I won't even go into the hospital*, the procedure will be performed at the outpatient surgical center a block from the hospital. It'll be at the same place as my son's tonsillectomy :p

*unless things go wrong, knock wood they won't

I am 35 and have suffered from chronic tonsillitis and sleep apnea since I was a child. In the last three months I developed cryptic tonsils and decided (reluctantly) that I wanted to have the tonsils removed.

Now I am on day 6 post-tonsillectomy and am holding up just fine. After the operation my doctor kept me in the hospital for 3 days for observation. There were no complications but I guess my doctor was being overly cautious which was fine with me. After the operation I was offered pain meds but refused because they make me too nauseous and I wanted to be sure I could start eating something as soon as possible. Yes, I was in a great deal of pain and it was absolutely unbearable to swallow, but I forced myself on day 2 to swallow some baby food for nutrients as well as chicken broth. Also, I forced myself to sip cold water because I was told that I would be in much less pain in the days ahead if I kept hydrated. After being released from the hospital, I was prescribed liquid Azithromycin, liquid Paracetamol, and Difflam anti-inflammatory gargle/rinse. As soon as I got home I made sure I ate something so I made some linguine with butter. A little difficult to eat at first but I was starving and I felt sooooo much better afterwards.

The last few days I have not been in any real pain except for only the 2-3 times I had to sneeze (ouch!). There is mild discomfort when I swallow but I notice the discomfort gets worse when I forget to sip on some water. Some of the white scar tissue is slowly changing to pink and I've begun to notice a few tiny pieces of the scab tissue coming off. Thankfully, there has been no bleeding so far and I keep drinking water to keep the scabs moist.

Now I am not a doctor but I am not in any excruciating pain so I thought I would share some things that have been working for me:

1) Drink LOTS of water. I average about 10 8-oz. glasses per day. Sip water throughout the day. Stay hydrated!!! Also, helps to thin out the phlegm in the throat.
2) Eat something! You need nutrients in your body to fight infection and keep you strong. If you are in pain, broths are a good start. I've been eating overcooked pasta with a little butter (no tomato sauce!), oatmeal, cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, vanilla yogurt (yogurt is good to eat while taking antibiotics), all types of creamy soups (nothing with black pepper or tomatoes), and even some baby food. Avoid acidic foods! Limit the dairy because it will only give you more phlegm.
3) Lots of rest and sleep slightly upright. On days 1-3, I felt like gagging everytime I tried to lie down. I keep a nightlight on and water by my bedside. As soon as I wake up (which is a few times during the night) I drink water to hydrate the throat. Even on day 6, I am still sleeping upright.
4) Stay home for the first week (if you can). My doctor ordered me to stay home for one week to prevent me from being exposed to other people's germs. LOL Avoid too many guests. Avoid talking too much.
4) Ask for anti-inflammatory mouth rinse. Helps to numb the stinging pain in the throat or itchiness from the scabs starting to fall, as well as clear up any food caught in throat. This has been my lifesaver. I use this every three hours and after I eat anything.

Since I am not taking pain meds, I have not had any problems with constipation or nausea. In a prior operation, I took pain meds which made me feel a lot worse because I could not eat or drink anything from the nausea. So I am not trying to be a martyr here...

Good luck and I'll be sure to post an update! Hope this helped. Now go drink some water!

:'( I had my tonsils and adenoids removed on Sept 19th, the first couple of days weren't too bad, but on day three it became hell. My ears hurt, can't eat hot or cold things, or foods with salt or sugar. My throat still feel raw and sometimes when I wake in the morning there is a little blood. I've had the fever, vomiting which were mild to the undescribable pain I've had, my throat is still swollen that when I try to talk it sounds like I'm a deaf person trying to speak. I've had two children in my lifetime and I would much rather do that with out pain medication than to ever do this again. So I guess that it's good that you've only got to do this once.

TONSILLECTOMY IS SATAN!!!

I had my tonsils out thursday morning.. that whole day I was up walking around, shimmying, dancing and eating whatever..

BIG MISTAKE

friday morning I woke up feeling like death.. and now my oxycoton doesn't even numb me up enough to eat anything.

When i take my medicine it hurts so badly.. i always check for blood.. but still not a drop. I learned not to swallow salava..

I couldn't sleep the first few days but I found that if I closed my throat off with my tounge and didn't allow the spit to go down my throat, I would be able to sleep without being woken up with that *im drowning and dying* feeling that I would get every 5 minutes

WHAT DO I DO ABOUT HEART BURN?

I get it all the time... gah!

I hate jello and everything else i have been eating.. when will i be able to drink and eat and not feel pain.. damnit!

will someone actually reply to this PLEASE

I think it's hard to judge what a person is feeling in terms of pain, except on the pain scale I never have been more than a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. My entire experience to date hasn't been any worse than when I have a bout of strep throat.

I had my procedure early in the morning on the 20th and started eating soft foods that afternoon. The worst part is the horrible aftertaste after eating anything, but found that the pain was bearable while eating and drinking.

I went back to work on the 23rd for half a day and then full days on the 24th.

As far as the pain, I took my prescribed codience and then started on Ibuprofen as needed for my fever and pain on Monday. I would take another pain pill as needed (before a meal or before sleep), but so far today (October 1st) I haven't taken any additional medicine.

I have had a couple times where I have had some bleeding, once on each side, but I just layed down and went back to sleep. The bleeding was never too bad and it appeared to scab back over.

I will be really glad when all that white stuff heals, although it is going away each day. Today I had stir-fry, the veggies tasted really good to me and I don't mind the extra chewing to swallow my food.

The worst part of it all was a suture that the doctor put in on my right side. I am not sure what it was for, but my late last week, it started moving (since the selling went down). I decided on Saturday, that I wasn't going to bleed anymore than I already had and nothing wasn't going to fall out that hadn't already been removed, so I cut it out.

All I know is that it felt so much better after all that poking and rubbing it was doing on the right side of my mouth.

I just wish someone would come up with a better solution to stop bleeding than giving a patient 3rd degree burns to seal the wounds!

I am 35 and have 5 children, I had my tonsils removed last Wednesday and the first 3 days was a walk in the park, then all of a sudden my ears began to ache like crazy... and the pain has been increasing exponentially every day. I can sleep for about 3 hour intervals, still cannot eat anything solid. Dr. gave me Hydrocodone syrup, eeewwww... thick syrup to find a way to swollow when water hurts sufficiently, thanks. the ER dr was going to give me Ibuprophen, but my surgeon said no because of risk of bleeding. I am just wondering if it wouldn't be worth it to take two pills to see if I could get more solid sleep. I'm telling you, I'd rather go through vaginal delivery of triplets than go through this again... as for refills, the Dr. said to go to the pharmacy and have them fax him a request for a refill and he'd ok it if my meds ran out before the pain did... they can only legally give so much out at one time, but if you still need the meds they can refill it. they told me I could go back to work in 2 weeks, I'm curious to see if it is going to be that speedy of a recovery from the depths of despair that I have reached so far.....
The nurse told me not to drink milk based products so slim fast is out the door, but I havent been able to eat anything since 12 hours prior to surgery I am starving and I believe that alot of my body aches are because of teh not eating. I find myself clamping my jaw to offset the pain in my throat, but that only makes my jaw hurt worse....
I am trying to stay hydrated, but the pain of swollowing makes it a vicious cycle of dehydration, cant swollow, dont drink, become dehydrated, hurts worse.... Cant they just keep patients in the hospital on an IV cathader and asleep until it is over and done with? a non pain filled experience!
now in doing research to find ways to deal with the pain, I have come across new ways of doing the surgery that does not include burning the surrounding tissues... my tongue is still swollen and my uvulia is still touching my tongue is is so large... I wish I had not rushed into this with the first doctor that suggested it.

I had a tonsillectomy almost seven days ago. I knew it would be uncomfortable but this is ridiculous. The pain in my throat actually started subsiding yesterday . Then, out of nowhere, I woke up in the middle of the night choking on blood.....I bled alot for a few minutes then it stopped. The pain in my ears is pretty bad. The recovery for this is WAY worse than I expected it to be......I am extremely uncomfortable:( Good Luck to all of those who go thru this ....I feel especially for the kids that hav ethis procedure done.....It's like close toa 10 on the baddddddd scale!!

Oh darlin, I feel ya, I had mine out on the 26th and am still sleeping sitting up, I found that if I put an icepack under my head it takes the pain away much sooner and makes it more bearable to just be alive. I too was up and around the first few days, but then it hit hard.. now my scabs are falling off and there was enough blood to cause concern, but I simply rinse/gargle with ice water and it stopped. I finally ate scrambled eggs on day 5, and applesauce on day 6. I quit drinking broth after I saw how much Sodium was in it..... I cant force myself to eat no matter what I try... I'd rather be hungry..... My Hydrocodone made me a zombie and I have 4 kids at home, I cant be asleep for two weeks, so I started taking Naproxin Sodium twice a day and it is so much more helpful.. and hey my doctor only said no alieve or Ibuprophen!!! as for the heartburn, I still take a pepcid complete before bed time and chew it pretty good with my front teeth, so it all gets swollowed instead of finding alot of it in my molars... I also found that if I plugged my ears, sometimes it made swollowing easier. I used to love jello and propel water and applesauce... now it all is associated with the rotten flesh smell that comes out of my mouth... so I smell something and taste rotten meat...
I have decided to not eat anything else that I like until I am healed and my breath is back to "normal" I am not using this as a diet but I am not going to ruin my favorite foods either..... I hope some of this helps you... I pray that you feel better soon..

Guest wrote:

TONSILLECTOMY IS SATAN!!!

BIG MISTAKE

WHAT DO I DO ABOUT HEART BURN?

I get it all the time... gah!

I agree with all the negative opinions. I think this is a US site, well if it makes you feel any better I live in the UK and it hurts like hell here too! I went private as I thought this would reduce chance of infection. Although I have not had any infection as yet, the pain is far greater than I ever expected. I had mine taken out on 1st Oct 07. My consultant said I would definatley need 2 weeks off work. He said I would feel worst this weekend (it is Sunday evening now) I would agree with him. I woke from the GA not too bad, eating, chatting etc. 2nd day still not too bad, eating, chatting etc. 3rd day slightly worse. 4th day really bad, could hardly swallow, could hardly talk (my son could not understand why I was not speaking properly) 5th day chronic. My tongue is so painful, when I talk or eat. I feel like I am just moaning but I can't get over how awful such a simple operation is. I am running out of painkillers. Which is very scary. I have been taking co-codamol, codiene, paraceptamol, ibuprofen (not all at the same time). My consultant said I should start to improve by Tuesday - day 8. I really hope so. I know I will look back at this and say it was worth it. It is nice to know I will never have tonsillitis again. I am 32 by the way. If my son ever has trouble with his I will definatley try and get his out while he is young. Good luck to everyone. Thanks for listening to me moan. I am sure my husband is sick of me by now.

Hello all,

I just got them buggers ripped out on Wednesday the 3rd of October, 2007. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I am a 36yo male. Only had minimal pain immediatly after the operation, I am now on day 5 post-op and the scabs came off like clock work. Not so much pain, as a ginuine consern for about 10 mins as the blood flowed freely. Rinsed out the mouth and gargled with ice water a few times and everything cleared up. This evening I have had some minor earaches, but nothing like I used to have with the tonsils still in!

I started out with the broth as soon as I got home from the operation, doc told the wife that I should advance the diet as quickly as possible to mushy foods to aid with the scab issues. By the second day post op I was eating cream of wheat, applesauce, and drinking about a half gallon of water. I get dehydrated very easily so took that extra precaution.

The doc is amazed and dumbfounded by the lack of pain I am having, I have not even used any of the vicadine he perscribed yet. Let you know how it is going over the next few days. OH!! btw I finally ate some real food toinght, had a chef's salad, never thought I would love rabbit food so much in my life!! 8)

I am scheduled for a T&A next wed 10/17 and petrified! I am a 27 year old female and suffer from breathing problems and recurrent strep/tonsillitis.

I have never had surgery before and am very scared of the whole procedure. Everyone's posts here have been very helpful. I am hoping I have an easy time but only time will tell. I do have some questions for those of you that have already had surgery.

1 - ANyone have coblation for tonsils and then eletric cautery for the adenoids? I am having this and hear it is one of the better ways as far as scar tissue/pain?

2 - Can you swallow your pain pills? or did you get liquid?

3 - Are you spitting up a lor of blood?

4 - Are you afraid to sleep? I am afraid of choking?

5- Does your adenoid area hurt too or is it just th throat?

6 - Did you get antibiotics to take immediately post surgery for prophylatic purposes?

7 - WHat about taste?

Thanks for your help everyone!!!!!