I am 22 years old and am scheduled to have my tonsils removed nov. 30th. I have my pre-op appt. this week so a lot of my questions shoud be answered then. after reading a lot of your post, im a bit more scared than i already was. The thing that is really getting me is that Not only am i having my tonsils out, but i have a deviated septum and cysts/polyps in my maxillary sinuses. I am having all three surgeries in one day, i dont know how the heck i will be able to breath, or function for that matter.

I read these posts too before my surgery, and called the doc and his staff to make sure my questions were answered and, most importantly, the pain medication would be sufficient. I know they are cautious prescribing narcotics, but there's no good reason to suffer to much. Your surgery is more complex than mine, but I can say, up to this point - day 7 - mine has gone much better than I'd braced for. Don't try to see how long you can go between pain meds, make sure you take them on schedule to keep the pain minimized rather than waiting until you hurt. If you start hurting well before the next dose, Tylenol liquid, liquid children's ibuprofen, and cepocal spray has been a savior. I say liquid, but I haven't had problems swallowing pills.

I had my surgery due to obstructive sleep apnea due to extra large tonsils. I haven't had more than about 3 hours uninterrupted sleep for probably 10 years. So, focus on the outcome. I can already tell a difference in that I'm getting up to 6 hours straight now, to be awakened by throat pain rather not being able to breathe.

I agree with littlemike, don't let these posts scare you out of doing it. It will not be fun for a couple of weeks, but it will be worth it in the end. I had mono when I was 18 and my tonsils became huge and never really went back down after that. They were very scarred and pitted and I did get those disgusting tonsil stones (food trapped in the pits/crevices of the tonsils that becomes laden with bacteria and white blood cells - disgusting smelly things!). B/c of the tonsil stones, there was always a chronic tonsillitis going on in the back of my throat and I had had enough. I'm so glad I got them out! The recovery is not fun, but it IS manageable. Like littlemike said, take your meds on time, don't wait to take the next dose if you don't feel pain yet. It is much easier to keep the pain at bay than to catch up with acute severe pain. It is scary reading all of these posts, but my experience hasn't been a horror story at all and I think many people have ok stories to talk about too.

If you expect the worst you will be pleasantly surprised when it isn't the worst that happens. Good luck!

I'm 34 years old can anyone help I'm scheduled to have surgery this Friday Nov 23rd... I just had my post- opp TODAY and was in SHOCK !!!! with all the bleeding and pain my doc. was telling me is it really that painful he was also telling me how sometimes the food can back track up the nose ??? What is that all about ?? I did ask as many questions but still not sure about the whole bleeding and pain issue.. He only gave me Phenergan for vomiting and Tylenol E with codein is this engough for the pain or should I call my office back for different pain meds ??? o.O

Are you scheduled for tonsillectomy or tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy? Either way it doesn't matter, but I think if you are also having your adenoid taken out it might make it contribute to food/liquids going up the nose while swallowing. I think the best thing to do after your surgery is to swallow very carefully and not too fast. I haven't had anything go up my nose (yet and hopefully will not) but it's been close a couple of times. I am swallowing liquids very carefully and swallowing larger mouthfulls rather than smaller ones. It would seem like the opposite would be important but for some reason it seems like I am able to swallow better with more rather than less in my mouth.

As far as the pain goes, it is a painful surgery. Take your pain meds as prescribed and if you need more, don't hesitate to call your doctor back. I don't think there is any way to stop it from hurting when you swallow, but it doesn't really hurt too much when your mouth is still. Keeping an ice pack on my neck really helps too when it really starts to hurt. They will probably give you an ice pack in the recovery room that you can use at home.

It does hurt but you will get through it and hopefully will be pleasantly surprised that it is not as bad as you thought it was going to be. Plan on it being terrible and you'll be happy it is not! 8) Sort of like a reverse psychology there but it worked for me. I set myself up for a terrible time after reading these posts but have been pleasantly surprised that I can tolerate the pain and work through it ok. There will be a light at the end of the tunnel and yu will be happy to know that your yucky tonsils will never be back in your throat again! For me it is worth it! :-D

I knew that docs are reluctant to give out too mch good pain meds, and I read stories on here. I also knew lortab didn't really do it for even my headaches, so I scheduled a pre op visit to let him know I wanted as little pain as possible. So I got liquid hydrocodone and Percocet (oxycodone) for extreme pain. Actually the lortab works as good as the percocet, just doesn't last as long. You are the one going through it, don't be scared to ask for meds. Mine hasn't been anywhere near as bad as I'd prepared for, I'm at the end of day 7. I just got through eating roast beef, rice and green beans ... slowly and carefully, but I did it no prob. I'm the opposite of Abbey, I have to take small swallows, arefully, and can't swallow hard, as if to swallow a big lump. You'll get the hang of it. The worst pain for me is in the middle of the night after sleeping. Good to have the cepocal there at those times.

Thanks Abbey for you kind words I will take them to heart.... And I will diffidently use the whole reverse psychology thing.. I will keep you updated with my sugery if I'm able to get up out of bed by Sunday or if I'm having issues I will diffidently find you Abbey...

Thanks Lillie :-D

Thanks for all the info.. and Abbey aswell I will keep you guy's updated.... I need all the support with all this new surgery STUFF and any issues that may come up ???

Thanks Lillie :-D

Oops, I accidentally posted a new message somewhere on this site titled ouch ouch ouch insetead of here, oh well here it is in the correct place..

OK, it's 4 am and I just woke up with some bad pain. Yesterday I called my docs office to see if anything could be added for pain to "tide" me over between doses of the lortab and they ordered Percocet. Well I took one before bed instead of the lortab and I just woke up in pain. When I took it last night at 10pm it didn't really do much to change the pain level and I didn't go to bed until about 11:30. I dont' think I'll be taking anymore percocet and will stick to the lortab .... So now I type and wait for the lortab to kick in.

One good thing out of all of this is that my 4 1/2 year old daughter is being so cute and loving. She is always like that but especially so now. She made me a card with princess and smiley face stickers all over it so I feel better What a sweetie! Also, I keep telling my husband he better look out b/c if he keeps snoring like he usually does, he's next to have a tonsillectomy! o.O ha ha Seriously, he snores all night and it drives me crazy! OK, as I type I can feel it kicking in - aaaahhhhhh, getting better. I sort of feel like an addict LOL but I can't imagine actually wanting to take these meds or needing to! That's it for now, I'm off to bed again much happier ;-)

I don't know what happened, but I am much better today! :-D After the lortab kicked in this am I've been pretty good. I can speak today and it is not too painful to swalow either. I looked back in my throat and it looks like everything is healing and the scabs are starting to diminish. I actually just ate a chocolate chip cookie and it was so good! It took a while to eat but I did it. However I will still be sticking to soups for today as I don't want to aggrevate anything back there as it is still pretty sore. I haven't taken any percocet today, I don't think they work for me - besides they are horse pills and the one that I took last night really hurt to get down. So I'm sticking to my trusty liquid lortab.

That's all, looking forward to full healing! Hang in there everyone and good luck for those of you scheduled this week! Also, lilli, I do think your doctor should prescribe liquid pain medication for you, I can't imagine swallowing a hard pill in the first few days! Or at least make sure it can be crushed and put into applesauce or pudding or something like that.

FYI, I know a lot of people have talked about having problems with excessive mucus/thick mucus back there. I haven't had any problems with this and I think it's b/c I have stayed away from anything dairy. Instead of ice cream I've eaten sherbet. Yum!

I found out just a week and a half ago that I needed to have my tonsils taken out. I wasn't surprised - every doctor/dentist I have seen my entire life has said they are too large and I should get them taken out. I have been experiencing an ongoing struggle with infections the past couple years, and particularly intensely so the last 5 months. All it took was one look in my mouth and without any more questions, my ENT specialist said they needed to come out. I have my wedding in January and tax season 2008 (I recently graduated college and this will be my first tax season as a full-time employee) to be healthy for, so he got me in as quick as possible.

I am a huge wuss when it comes to the idea of surgery. I had had my wisdom teeth out three years ago, and the anxiety before-hand was worse than the recovery afterwards! I went online before my tonsillectomy in search of some words of encouragement and found myself here on this message board. While some people had positive posts, the horror stories were overwhelming (not to mention I did myself the extreme disservice of looking at Steve's web site, http://tonsilsnomore.googlepages.com). So to those of you who had the same idea as me and are here to get an idea of what to expect, DO NOT LET THESE PEOPLE SCARE YOU LIKE THEY DID ME!

My surgery was yesterday morning. I had never been so scared in my life. I didn't get a good night's rest for about four or five nights before the surgery because my anxiety was so bad. I was miserable and quite honestly excited to just get it the heck over with! They gave me an IV and after that I calmed down because I knew the anesthesia would all go in through there and the next pain I experienced would be after the surgery. When I awoke, I felt so good! I was so drugged up. I was talking, sipping water, and smiling. I was so relieved to have it over with. They started me on the water as soon as I woke up, and I never quit. As the day wore on, the strong drugs wore off, and the pain obviously increased. It's not comfortable - I will tell you that. It is the worst sore throat of your life. But DRINK YOUR WATER! Like I said, I have been sipping constantly since the surgery and I feel great! I am drinking about 8 ounces of water every hour. I have also eaten a lot. Soft foods of course, but I have eaten them in plenty. I had top ramen, green bean casserole, potato casserole, pudding, fudgesicles, and rice-a-roni on day one. Day two I have had oatmeal (really good for fiber if you know what I mean!), top ramen, more pudding, popsicles and fudgesicles, bean soup, a couple of croissant rolls, and more rice. The more I eat and the more I drink the better I feel. Sleeping last night was tough. I woke up every hour or two to take some sips of water, go use the bathroom, and/or take more pain meds. I am taking hydrocodone in pill form. I have been mashing it up. It is supposed to last for 4-6 hours, but I find that it wears off after about 3, probably because I am mashing it. So the pain during the last hour gets quite severe. But I combat it by drinking very cold ice water and sucking popsicles. I try to time my meals so that I am eating an hour or so after my pain meds when I am feeling the most relief.

I never thought I would have to have my tonsils out. They never really made me sick until recently. I was seriously doubting before I went in after reading all these posts if it'd be worth it, and let me tell you, I know for sure it already is. I can breathe much better, I quit snoring, and though my throat is sore and swollen, I have much more room to swallow than I used to. And no more worrying about coming down with strep throat infections in my tonsils! I am sure I will realize more benefits once I am all healed, but I definitely think it's worth it and would encourage anyone who has had the doctor's order to get them out to go ahead and get it over with. I am only 21 and have just recently started having major problems with my tonsils, but I came to the conclusion that putting it off any longer would just mean more being sick and an inevitable tonsillectomy eventually, only the older I get the worse I am sure it would be. Don't be scared - take care of yourself and you will do just fine. And by the way - my throat looks a lot like Steve's pictures, but it is not nearly as painful as it looks, in my opinion. :-)

Good luck to everyone and I wish you all have the smooth recovery I have so far!

I'm on day 9 now, and I still haven't had the severe pain people have talked about. I mean it's been bad, but nowhere near unbearable. on day 4-7 I woke up and it was very hard to swallow without pain, but letting the pain meds kick in and drizzling down cool water did away with that in less than 15 minutes. Unless I swallow without drinking something, like when you try to get the spit out of your throat, I had no real pain, except earaches and a numbing jaw pain. Well, yawning and screaming hurts (yes, screaming - I have a 9 year old know it all daughter, and a wife of 15 years, leaving me as referee, enough to cause the most sedated person to scream >:(

Seriously, so far, since day 1, I felt good enough to go to work, or the gym, shopping or whatever, but doc told me not to do anything exerting and no driving while on narcotics. I have been Mr mom, cooking, cleaning etc, but careful not to get my heart rate up, for fear of springing a leak. Also, eating almost anything is no problem, you just have to go about it slow. I think I get a little over zealous with the eating and I do so much of it, the throat gets irritated.

I think I would take 2 weeks of this over a tax season anytime. I see Leah M has that ahead of her ... enjoy your time off. I'm an accountant and although I'm in the private sector, I have to get cpe every year for my license including tax, enough exposure to know a tonsillectomy or a root canal is a better option than tax season. :-D

I just got back from my post op visit on day 9. The doc said the turn around date for most is about day 10 (that is when you start getting better). He told me I was way ahead of that curve and have healed much faster than most anyone else in the same situation would have done. He said I need to still take it easy the next 2 days, but the scabs are gone - I guess I never saw them. I still ache a little, even on the medicine, but I'm taking less of it, and by the weekend I hope to only be using OTC meds.

He asked if was eating okay, I told him I never stopped eating, just had to resort to potatoes, noodles, etc, and lots of them. He said that and the hydration was the key to my speedy recovery and little pain. I've been following a bodybuilder's lifestyle for close to 20 years, so I eat about 5 times a day, and I didn't stop for this, just ate highly fattening stuff. I weighed today for the first time since the surgery, thinking I'd probably lost 5 lbs tops, instead I GAINED 9 LBS! I had gotten extra lean over the summer, so I had room to put it on with out it being too noticible, but I sure didn't expect that. I guess that sums it up ... Eat, Eat, Eat and drink and keep the pain away as much as posible so you can eat. I also had some liquid vitamins and colloidal minerals I took each day, since I knew my diet would not have a lot of green leafys in it during this time.

Last night I slept 8 hours straight for the first time in probably 10 years. So, if someone is trying to decide whether to have this done or not, if you are already healthy, I say don't hesitate. My results apparently are not common, but if you read all of these posts, you'll see probably less than 15% said it was unbearably horrible, and almost all of the rest say it wasn't nearly as bad as they thought. And, I got 2 weeks excused absence from work! I give the experience a thumbs up ... best decision I've made this year.

day 6 for me and just found you guys. I went into hospital for a FESS UVPPP (Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty),Turbinectomy etc or a decoke and rebore of the nose and a cut and shut in the mouth. My kind surgeon cut my tonsills out whilst he was at it ( I didnt have much to say in the decission (I was fast asleep ) nice surprise when I came round)
I have been on a liquid diet (I even tried a can of boddingtons beer yesterday ) since the op. I have lost nearly 6 kilos ( I was 103k 6'3")
I have to agree with the idea of slimfast and lots of water. Can I add in custard and the old favs ice cream and jelly.
I have to contend with the sore throat and a sore weeping bloody nose. I am such an attractive person to be with!
It was nice to hear that I am not suffering the most. Except that guy who had the the burger on day 3 ( thats just cruel )
Another week of day time TV yippee ( Id cut my throat rather than watch it I once said >>> someone already has now!! ) :-S

Hello all, Happy Thanksgiving! Hope all are well and those of you ready to go to surgery tomorrow and early next week are excited to get it over with!

I feel pretty good, still taking pain meds but it is much more bearable. Today was the first day I could eat some real food and I enjoyed it! I've lost about 6 lbs so far and I doubt that I will lose much more from this point on. My throat looks like it is healing well and the scabs are slowly disappearing. It's still pretty white back there but there is more pink tissue visible.

I think tomorrow will be the turning point in this as I still am tired today but have a little more energy. I've been talking normally since yesterday and have even been lifting my little ones (even thought I'm not supposed to lift for 10 days).

All in all it has not been a horrible experience and I am so glad that I got them out! XD Good luck tomorrow Lilly it will be fine! Make sure you drink, drink, drink water all the time to keep things moist and you will feel better and heal more quickly. I hope your recovery is as smooth as mine has been, I'm sure it will be. :-D :-D Abbey