Wow. I was nervous about getting my tonsils out before but now? Oh boy. I am 22 and my ENT thinks I should because for the past six months, I've had a temp about a degree and a half over my normal, have had swollen lymphs and tonsils and have been fatigued. Antibiotics didn't work and only temporarily lowered my temp. Tried three times anyway. My ears hurt on and off, too, but besides one ear infection have been clear. My throat doesn't usually hurt. Other tests, TB, CT, blood, turned out normal. So, all thats left is tonsils, doc says. She said to expect a week recovery period. I scheduled it the sixth because I have to fly on the 15. What does everyone think? I am really worried about it, now more than ever. Should I go through with it? Doc thinks I'll keep fighting these problems otherwise. HELP!

To the above poster, I am also 22 and freaking out...

Some people here will say "don't do it you'll regret it, etc.." and some will say that in the long run, after all the healing and recovery time that they are doing much better and that its totally worth it...

Keep in mind that every person is different and their body handles the "trauma" differently. There is really no way to tell who will have a better recovery and who will have a horror story recovery, because as I've read, some people with great pain tolerances have done terrible, where as some people have done great. You have to look at what is going on with you medically and if they've ruled out any and all other possible issues...and look at your medical history...are throat problems something you've had often in the past? In some cases, the recovery time is worth not having to deal with the problems anymore...

Did your doctor talk to you about any options besides just a tonsilectomy? As I mentioned in my other post, my doctor recommended a tonsil coblation to me. Coblation has a MUCH shorter recovery time, generally 3-4 days. I work in a school and the principal here had a coblation last Thursday, and was out mowing his lawn on Saturday, and is here at work today with no problems.

Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about ALL concerns and questions you have. That's why they get paid the big bucks, and you have a right to feel comfortable with whats going on. If you dont feel comfortable with your doc, or he isnt giving you the information that you want/need, go to a different surgeon, its your body and your health.

Also, if you're concerned, dont hesitate to get a second opinion from a different doctor. 2 pairs of eyes are better than one...maybe a second specialist will know of an antibiotic or test they can give you that the first didnt think of...

I had mine out on the 19th of June. So, today makes it day 6 for me. Yesterday was horrible, the pain was so bad. I am still taking the max. allowance of pain meds every four hours. Today, is a lot better than yesterday but I have had really bad pain in my ears. I have been putting an icepack on my throat and it seems to help. Also, I have developed some ulcers under my tongue, not sure if it is a reaction to the meds...anyone else have this problem? Well, it hurts! But I am looking forward to recovering and not have any more issues. I would do it again, I think..LOL. All the posts were very good to read and I will keep you posted on my recovery.

Im on day 7, Im 23 years old. I knew that adult tonsillectomy's are more severe than those for children, however i never imagined this. The random shooting pains i get in my ears are almost unbearable. Im an adult and all Ive wanted to do is cry these past few days its been hurting so badly. The first few days although i couldnt talk much Id say were even better than these past few. Im thinking the scabs are about ready to fall off and that may be contributing. I have taken the meds the dr prescribed, Ive followed his instructions to a T. But still even.... it comes down to if I had a choice about this procedure, i would likely opt out!

Hello again everyone...I am now on day 5 and I must say that I feel alot better than I did the first 3 days....I managed to eat a baked potato and some chciken breast, but it took me about an hour to do so...I feel for everyone whos going through this pain, because I never imagined that It could be so horrible....When I brushed my teeth I did encounter some minor tooth bleeding....Has anyone else expierenced this?...I would also like to know if anyone else gets food stuck in the back of there throat, because almost everytime I eat something and I think im done I go and gargle with water and lots of food particles come running out of the back of my throat...The pain comes and goes with me, but when it's there trust me you can feel it...Feels like im swallowing some razor blades....How long before the scabs are supposed to come off? Anyhow I hoping that everyone has a speedy recovery and those planning to get the surgery keep us up to date on how your doing....We are here for you guys....Be safe and GOD BLESS...............

I think maybe you should postpone the flying. You will be happy you did. I have had 3 children and frankly my tonsillectomy was worse than any of my birth stories. (1 vaginal, 2 C-sections). You will definitely need more time to recover before flying -- your ears will really hurt and flying will compound that problem. I am not saying don't do the surgery, but just try to reschedule the flight or the surgery. K
Guest wrote:

I am on day 10 of my post op - tonsillectomy/nasal septoplasty and inferior turbinite reduction surgery. I am 35 and can tell you that if prior to having my surgery, I read all the blogs and I was nervous to say the least. My wife had the surgery done for tonsillectomy only and she was in agony for neary 2 1/2 weeks plus. She tore through her pain meds and still begged for more. I can honestly say the blogs combined with that...I was saying no way....

As I said earlier, I not only had the tonsillectomy but several nasal procedures done at the same time...horrror right?!...no not really. I was very surprised. Very little bleeding...swallow and talk no problems ... well talking in excess was somewhat straining to the throat but all in all not bad.

First couple of days was doing water (luke warm or room temp was better than ice water). I would also highly recommend that after the first couple of days if you can drink warm clear soup broth...helped hydrate my throat and sooth too. I would use a spray bottle (heard that on this board) and that worked well too. I could not only hydrate my throat but it helped my noise too.

I slept sitting up for all 10 days but that was for my noise too. I am eating pretty much anything I want now... no scabs or bleeding... and can say the pain was not even as bad as some of the strep throats that I've had.

Hope this soothes some nerves and I can honestly say I'd have it done in a heartbeat.

I was feeling better, but now my face hurts. It feels like it did when I had a sinus infection recently. I'm hoping it's just referred pain. If it doesn't stop, I'll get it looked at.

It's not fun, and today's the first day I have to really remind myself that it will be over soon, and then no more tonsil problems ever.

Ok guys, I had my tonsillectomy on the 27. My tonsils were huge and my throat has these huge holes in it now. Like someone took their thumbs and pushed them into the sides of my throat and indented them like a centimeter...is that normal, does it even out?

Anyway I'm on day 4 Here is how I'm feeling so far...

Day 1 (surgery day) - Surgery lasted about 20 minutes but I spent about 2 hours in recovery because in phase 1 I got really sick and started puking and coughing up blood that was in my stomach. In phase 2, I got sick again and more blood, but once I got that bought of it out of my stomach and the anestisia started wearing off, I felt better. I went home to my boyfriends (he took off a few days of work to be with me). The radio made me sick and I was very motion sick in the car. I took my first dose of liquid hydrocodone around 4pm and at about 4:30 I got sick from it, I puked up the last of the blood that was in my tummy and that tore open one of the wounds and I bled about 2 cups of blood before I was able to stop it with ice water. On this day I drank cups and cups and cups of water. I tried eating mashed potatoes and jello but it felt weird so I didnt.

Day 2 - Today wasnt too bad pain wise. I drank water, apple juice, and warm chicken broth all day. For dinner I ate some ramen that was cut up little enough I didnt have to chew (moving my jaw at all makes my throat hurt), and I was also able to eat the inside and some of the not-hard crust of a chicken pot pie that I microwaved...and the inside of an egg roll...the egg roll was a little spicy though so I drank like a cup of water right after...Didnt get sick today at all, and I am on three different meds, pain, antibiotics, and something for my sinuses.

Day 3 - The pain did a 180, it was absolutely awful today. My doctor said I could take half a dose of pain med every 2 hours instead of a full dose every 4, so I did that all day. Today I couldnt use a straw in my water, the suction made my throat hurt. I couldnt open my mouth more than a couple centimeters w/out my throat hurting...couldnt swallow, couldnt gargle. I tried a chocolate slimfast and it was horrible. I tried some chocolate pudding and it was horrible...so this far chocolate is the only thing taste-wise that is changed for me. I hope when I'm healed I'll like it again because I am a chocoloholic to the max. I did a lot of sleeping.

Day 4 - For last night, I went back to pain meds every 4 hours because I didnt want to wake up every 2. Mornings are really bad, I think its because I havent been drinking water all night...I just got up like 30 minutes ago so I dont have much of an update except that I'm in a lot of pain right now. I'll make another post in a few days with an update.

First though, let me tell you how disgusting I am...My throat on day 1 was solid black from the scabs...by now the scabs are there and completely coated in this white mucus-pus stuff...it is so nasty looking...it smells...My doctor gave me a mixture to gargle that seems to help with some of that, its 1 part water, 1 part mouthwash, and 1 part hydrogen peroxide...

My pain is almost completely gone, except for the sinus infection and the stomach problems the Vicodin gave me. I stopped taking that on Friday. Advil and Tylenol have worked better, and I can drive again. I feel so much better. I still have half a bottle of the liquid Vicodin left if the pain comes back, and my doctor will refill it as many times as I need him to. I hope I never have to drink that awful stuff again.

I'm not taking anything at all for the pain today.

I am 36 and has been told that I need a tonsillectomy. Have been resisting this for YEARS! Has anyone heard of or experienced a different procedure called "laser tonsil ablation"? It uses carbon dioxide laser. Suppose to be less painful and shorter recovery time.

May

I am 35 and have been told that I will need tonsillectomy - though I have been fighting this for years!

Has anyone heard of or experienced a supposedly less painful procedure called "Laser Tonsil Ablation", where they use carbon dioxide laser and it's suppose to be much less painful and shorter recovery time?

May

I had my tonsils and adenoids taken out on June 29th. I can officially say things are getting better. Since day one I have been in HORRIBLE pain, and I was cursing myself for going thru with this. It has been a week now, and finally, I think I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. When I woke up from surgery, I was in a lot of pain, and they gave me two doses of morphine and one of something else, but I was still too messed up to remember. I kept falling asleep. After all those meds, I was good to go. When I finally got released and went home, I just slept and slept. I did have problems waking up like clockwork at 230 and 430 every night. I felt like I had a newborn again. The pain in the middle of the night and when you first wake up is by far the worst! I still haven't really eaten much. A half of one of those pudding cups, a little bit of broth. Nothing much more I can admit to. I am a week into this, and I still dont eat anything. It just grosses me out, and makes my throat hurt really bad. Since yesterday, I haven't had to take meds at all thruout the day, but around 4 or 5 is when my pain starts, and it continues thru the night into the morning. Once I get passed that time, things are ok. So, my advice is this. YES, the pain is excruicating, but you will get over it. And I would rather deal with a week of horrible horrible pain than to keep having the strep that I was dealing with. If you can get thru the first week, you have it made. You may curse yourself in the meantime for going thru with the surgery, but it will be better in the long run. I still hurt, and will for awhile I am sure, but it is going to be nice to not go to the doctor monthly for strep. Good luck to all of you guys out there!!

Well, I'm glad to hear to should get better at some point. It sure seems very far into the future. I am so incredibly tired of hurting. My doctor has made it clear that he is not interested in managing my pain well and he thinks I should just tough it out. Gotta love that. And after four days, my stomach is rumbly and not very happy. Yesterday I was able to eat soup, but today everything hurts. I hope tomorrow is better. I think I'll go take some Hycet and get some sleep.

donnellypcdude wrote:

This was the most excruciating thing I ever suffered. For those of you who don't know what to expect, I was a nurse for a while and am used to documenting and recording. Soooo, I took lots of pics immediately post op until I am almost healed every 6-12 hours usually and documented my progress with foods, liquids and pain. Yes even the constipation from the pain meds..lol There is a PDF that you can view with about 30 photos in high resolution, graphic color, and my favorite recipes for stopping the bleeding. The lady on Day 2 should be documenting, cause until day 3 it was a cakewalk...

here is the link to my "Tonsillectomy is Hell" Website:
tonsilsnomore.googlepages.com

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, you are my hero! Thank you so much for your journal! I wish your google page had your email address so I would know for sure you knew how much I appreciate you!

I am going to see about those Cepacol drops for sure, and I am going to try rehydrating in the tub. I think the most comforting thing is knowing the one step forward-two steps back feeling is normal.