Continuing my live report, I am now on day 7. I thought it was a breeze, but mind you, it started to really hurt on the night of day 5, just after I saw the ENT and was told everything was fine! That night my ear started to pain and the sore really hurt that I could not really slept. I finally gave up and shoved that suppository thing (ketoprofen) at 6 in the morning. The pain was taken care the whole day and I was planning to have it again before I slept at night. But this time the pain was not very well taken care. It still hurt last night badly and I spat a bit of blood. I think this is the time when the scab fell off.

I guess day 6-8 will be the worst.

Good luck to all of you.

I am starting day 5 and I thought I would post a more positive experience.
I am 29 female, who had my tonsills out on Nov 8th. I was at the hospital about 6 hours, only because I had some issues with my blood pressure going up high when I was comming out of anestesia. I started drinking water right away without any pain. So I continued drinking even after I got home. I drank gatorade too once I got home. My goal each day is to drink 120 ounces of water and 32 ounces of gatorade. My pain has been bad but tollerable if I drink enough. Today, I started having some ear pain, so I was excited that my healing is progressing. I understand that the ear pain is the start of the scabbies comming off. Also, I have not noticed any bad smell, or taste in my mouth. I credit my self with this due to my hydration level. So don't be scared off by these stories, use them to make sure you do everything right to promote healing....I eat 2 eggs every morning, they have such good nutrients in the yolks, also, I drank bolthous farms perfectly soy protein drinks..... let me know if you have any questions....also, if anyone wants to chat, message me on yahoo......kateloveschemistry ........I am bored and I am off work untill Nov 28th, I get short term dissability, I don't know how someone could go back to work after just one week. ok, peace out .

Update: 23 year old male

I am on day 11 or 12, and most of the white membrane (scabs) have fallen off. Let me tell you it is like night and day. I feel 10 times better than I did two days ago. The pain is almost gone, still taking 2 tylenol every 8 hours. The scabs are apparently key to the pain, because my taste is almost back to normal and I can swallow regular food normally without pain. Still taking it slowly but praise God it's almost over.

i am going in on the 5th of december to get my adenoids, tonsils out, soft palette scrape, and tubes in my ears. my 8 year old had his out earlier this year and recovered within a week. my doctor has me thinking im gunna be in recovery for the best part of a month. plus he said the palette scrape will have me talking funny, possible permanently. has anyone else had all this done (other than ear tubes) at the same time?

Hi everyone,
I am on my 6th day post op. and i have been sucking on Cepacol Lazenges for the past 3 days. I didnt see many people mention using them and i just wanted to give those of you who are having a rough time a heads up. They have worked miracles. They keep my throat constantly moist and gives me pain numbing relief to keep drinking liquids. I know we have all said this, but for those of you going into surgery, if you take anything away from these boards, take this : DRINK DRINK DRINK... i cannot tell you how much water i have been throwing down my throat but it has made my scabs moist and white and very tolerable.

On a different note... Im not sure if anyone of you have experienced this but today i was so cold i was uncontrollably shaking. It might have been a result of not being able to eat solid food and having so much meds in my system. nonetheless it was very scary.

Besides the sharp, awful pains in my lower back and hips from sitting in the same posistion for 5 days, im hanging in there...

goodluck everyone!!!

I had mine removed about 9:00 am yesterday, was out of the hospital by 12:30 or so. I thought I posted on here yesterday, but can't find it (I was pretty stoned I guess 8) ) Anyway, drinking was no problem (water and smooth non acidic drinks). I got down a very high calorie / protein drink then l realized I could eat a little, so I ate 2 orders of mashed potatoes and gravy from KFC- no problem. When I got home I had ice cream and yogurt. Then I had chicken and rice (lots) and even managed to eat a chicken wing, but it was a lot of trouble. Then I ate about 3 more servings of potatoes, some applesauce. So I actually got more calories in yesterday than anyday last week. Because it was soft food, it didn't fill me up as quick as regular food, so I was able to take it in with little pain. If this continues I'll end up gaining weight. .. not what I had in mind.

I'm taking lortab liquid and oxycodone tablets - not hard to swallow. I thought the oxycodone was supposed to be more of a pain killer, so I waited until night to take it, but the lortab worked better, with liquid ibuprofen taken 2 - 3 hours after the last shot of narcotics. Extra strength tylenol didn't seem to phase me. I woke up about every hour or 2 with fluid collecting in my throat that I could not swallow without water. That's when the pain got worse. As long as I don't swallow or try to cough up fluid, I'm okay. I even had a small cup of coffee this morning. If it gets no worse than this, it will be a breeze, compared to what I read, but I know bad days are ahead. Eat drink and be merry, for tommorrow (through day 8) we die!

I'm at the end of day 3 post op after mine were yanked. Pain a little worse, taking my narcotics every 4 - 6 hours. Yesterday I was able to stretch it to 9 hours by augmenting with Ibuprofen and Tylenol. But, if you go too long you run the risk of the pain catching up with you. Today I feel a hint of an earache, which I dread, but I can tell already when I sleep I can breathe better, which is why I had them removed ... obstructive sleep apnea, they were huge. When i got home, I immediately started drinking the heck out of water, not trying to swallow hard is the key. I had to drink, since it relieves me best. I'm probably getting more than a gallon a day. Also, I'm eating noodles, mashed potatoes, rice, and even ate broiled fish last night (slowly), but the lemon pepper kinda burned. I'm having almost no pain when swallowing carefully. My caloric intake hasn't suffered. In fact, I'm probably gaining weight because I usually eat a pretty clean diet, no used to a lot of starchy stuff and ice cream. If I can get through the next 3 days, and the falling of the scabs, maybe I can emerge from this victoriously.

Hi, I started a little dailly "blog" on here, but it looks like everyone goes to this area to post. Anyway, littlemike, I had to chuckle at your comments about your food intake and your screen name. I hope you're not offended, but I thought is was kind of humorous, thanks for the laugh.

I am 35 and had coblation tonsillectomy yesterday Nov 14th. The pain has increasd today, the pain meds are definitely wearing off before the next dose is due. I'm taking 3 tsp of lortab every 4 hours and by 3 1/2 hours I'm watching the clock. The pain is primarily when I swallow so I'm making sure to drink/eat about an hour after I take it when things are calmed down a bit. I'm hoping to escape the horror stories of pain, I suppose the next few days will be telling. I was able to eat some soup today and some mashed potatoes (make them with chicken broth and they're really good!) I also had a boost drink/shake which is good for the protein intake and healing.

I'm looking forward to better health since having my tonsils removed. More to follow later...

I'm beginning day 5 and trying to remain optimistic, but seems like the pain meds aren't lasting as long, like AbbeyD pointed out ... watching the clock. I find that when pain starts to increase before the next dose of real drugs (lortab or oxycodone) I take liquid Tylenol or about 800 mg of Ibuprofen. If I need immediate relief, Cepocal spray (the new mist) works really good for the throat, but I'm starting to get ear pain, and it doesn't touch that. Still, not too bad. Now, really cold stuff hurts if I take too much, kind of like an ice cream headache in your throat that radiates through your whole head.
Still able to eat well, just sick of eating pasta, rice, potatoes, ice cream. I spent from Jan - July getting in great shape for my 40th bday, vowing to get in shape better than in my 20's, which I did. Ate so much grilled chicken that I sometimes cluck and scratch the ground. Now being forced to eat the exact opposite is really throwing my body a curve. The chiseled six- pack is quickly becoming a keg. At least I'm able to eat and drink, which is way more than some on this board have expressed. I'd say so far I've been blessed with good recovery. Just hope I can get through the scab falling without incident.

I wish I could take ibuprophen, my doctor said no to that. Are your ears really hypersensitive to sounds? I feel like everyone in my house is screaming all the time right in my ears - do you have this too? Last night I tried splitting up the dose of lortab so instead of 3 tsp every 4 hours I'm doing 1 1/2 tsp every 2 hours. This seems to be helping some and I'm not watching the clock as much as before. I actually got by for 6 hours last night without lortab and slept pretty well. Though yesterday evening was not fun, I felt pretty bad and tired/run down with a stiff neck and overall soreness.

I'm not eating much though, just a little soup and some mashed potatoes so far. I was going to try cream of wheat this morning but it just didn't sound good and went for the soup instead. I might try some scrambled eggs later today, they should go down easily. I'm on day 4 - almost halfway through the expected 10 day recovery. I'm also not looking forward to when the scabs come off.

Are you able to talk? I'm not doing much talking at all b/c it hurts my throat too much. Though I'm still able to nag my husband by snapping at him when I need something! : )

Not sure the concentration, but my script only says 2 teaspoons of lortab every 3 - 4 hours. When i'm bad off I do the oxycodone. last dose 5 hours ago and I'm doing fine. Talking isn't a problem today, but through yesterday i couldn't talk much without lots of fluid collecting, or getting a dry throat. When the ears hurt, everything is intense, and good to be home alone with no noise.
I try not to bellyache too much around here... my wife is sympathetic only to a degree, since she reminds me of our child she bore, 3 miscarriages and frequent migraines. So I try not to be much of a baby, this is child's play compared to her trauma.

Did your doc use the coblation method to remove them? Mine did and I can't imagine how bad it must be to have the electrocautery to get them out. Though maybe the docs order more drugs if it's done that way?... I'm only on the lortab and would like to add something else, it it gets really bad I'll call and ask what they can do to make it better. Evenings seem to be the worst for me. How old is your baby? We have a 4 1/2 year old, a 2 1/2 year old and a 10 month old. They are all having a little mommy-withdrawl so they are rather cranky and loud - but my husband is doing a good job with them! Did your doctor say no lifting for 10 days? Mine did.

My baby is 9 years old, and we are fortunate enough to live across the street from my mother in law o.O who takes her when things get in a fix. She's also a mother hen and constantly wants to help me out, making sure I'm eating enough, etc. She treats me better than my wife! :O
I'm not sure the technical term for the method, but I do know it was not done via laser. My doc has been around awhile, so probably the old fashioned method. He didn't try to paint a rosey piture at all, told me to plan on 2 weeks off work, and it would be very painful. So I expected worse than what I've encountered SO FAR. I did get some really bad jaw and ear pain earlier today, about 1 hour after my oxycodone. That concerned me because I'm supposed to be close to stoned by that point, feeling no pain. So I called the after hours number in case the pain got bad, like he told me to, and the nurse pretty much talked me out of it, just telling me to get plenty of fluids, and take the meds I have on schedule, don't try to make them last longer, since I'm in the period of time that may be the most painful. So I took a mist of Cepocal and jumped in a hot shower. Then I guess the meds kicked in and I'm okay for now. Sure helps to have someone to swap stories with. I know you are going through a rough time. Even if your husband is doing all he can, just the noise has to wreck your nerves when you are in pain. I've been alone almost all day, with a sack full of movies and my PC. Have a good pain free night!

Not much new to report today, I feel much the same as yesterday. I do however, have a terrible taste in the back of my throat. I know it's the scabs back there and I will be glad when they are gone. My tongue is also all white. I'm able to brush my teeth pretty well and the back of my tongue a little bit when the pain meds kick in but it's not really getting the bad taste out. The pain isn't any better or worse, it's tolearable and I am geting through it. I went 6 hours again last night between lortab doses and boy I felt it this morning. Thankfully it starts to kick in within about 10 minutes and gets much better. I don't seem to have any appetite for aything. Oh well, at least I'll be able to lose my last 5 lbs of baby weight! XD I'm thinking about Thanksgiving and hoping by then I'll be able to eat a little better than I am now. My Grandma had this fantastic jello recipie that I'm going to make, at least I know I'll be eating it and the kids will too! I don'h think turkey will be going down too well by then, but mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes should work just fine. That's it for now. Littlemike, have your scabs started to do anything yet? Have you looked in there?

I'm not sure if the scabs are coming off. I think I may have spit something up, but didn't think about it much. The white skin that covered everything in the back, I assume that is the scabs, loked as of yesterday to be fully formed. But last night after the Unidentified Object came out, I looked back and it appeared the white skin had holes in it. Maybe that's part of the scabs coming off. I'm not sure how I gave them a chance to even form, since I haven't stopped eating long enough. My doc said the sooner I can eat "normal" food the quicker it will heal. I'm not sure I follow the logic there.
When I near the end of my meds, then my throat, ears and jaws hurt. In the morning when I wake up, nothing hurts until I try to swallow, then it's like a torh in my throat, so I don't attempt to swallow until I have a glass of something about room temp. If it's too cold it magnifies the pain. Coffee is great once I get some numbing from the Cepocal, waiting for the narcotics to kick in. I hope I'm near the "hump". This is day 6 for me and I am absolutely about to jump out of my skin being forced to sit in jail for 2 weeks. Watching lots of good movies I never got a chance to see, however.