I am having a CO2 laser tonsillectomy and LAUP where my uvula and tonsils are going to be shaved. My surgery is in a couple of hours. I will post during my recovery. Has anyone had this done? What was recovery like?

Had it done at 27, might be one of the worst things I ever endured in my life. It's been several years and I still remember the pain vividly.

I am 19 and had my tonsils out 9 days ago. I wish I hadn't read this website first because it scared the bejesus out of me, thinking all this horrible horrible stuff was going to happen to me. I asked my doctor prior to the surgery, and most of the stuff I read on here must be worst case scenario. Yes, its been painful and on day 9 my throat still hurts, but I don't feel like I walked through the valley of the shadow of death. So I just wanted to post something a little more positive for those of you who are freaking out right about now. Basically, the pain is like a bad case of strep, but my pain meds (liquid vicodin and a numbing lollipop) have controlled it very well. The most important thing to remember is to stay hydrated. I started drinking water 30 minutes after I was out of surgery and have been drinking at least 64 oz every day, and I know it has made things a lot easier. Just make sure you take it easy, and eating really helps too. I forced myself to at least eat pudding and some noodles, and also some slim fast shakes and it helped me to heal faster. I guess all I would say is don't freak out, its not going to be as bad as you think. Its not a picnic, but you will be ok. :-D

I am now eleven days post op from my tonsillectomy. I'm 35 years old. It took having my dh take off one day of work and family come from out of state to help with our children for the week. My pain wasn't that bad. In the surgery center, the nurses said I should swallow not spit and drink as much cold liquid 24 hours a day as possible. I found this amazing yummy brand of natural ice pops at our local natural food store (nature's choice) in coconut which hit the spot. My ENT prescribed Hycet, 2-3 tsp every four hours, a liquid antibiotic, and a low dose seven day steroid pack to calm the swelling. My scabs look thin and white now with some pink showing through. I assume they'll continue to dissolve this week. I'm still sleeping in a semi-upright position waking up several times a night to sip water to keep my throat moist. I stopped taking the Hycet mid week, but started again when the ear pain set in. The nurse I spoke with said the ear pain is a sign that the scabs will come off soon.
I was also told no exercise for a solid two weeks...I go back to the doctor next week.

I can't seem to figure out how to edit a posted post.

Anyway, meant to say heating pad is great for ear pain. crushed ice in packs to put on my neck worked wonders.

My friend said if I could birth three babies without any drugs whatsoever then I could get through this and survive too! :-D

I'm on Day 14 after my tonsillectomy. For those of you who ask if having a "talking" job matters. YES. I came back to work 12 days after surgery.
I am in sales and notice that my throat gets more and more sore after talking all day.
I'm still in pain and taking meds every 4-6 hours. I've tried to take liquid tylenol - it did absolutely nothing. The worst part about this tonsillectomy (for me) is the pain that goes on and on and on and on..............
I'm so sick of it! It's very frustrating for me to be in pain for so long.
I do think it will be worth it once the pain goes away. Hang in there everyone, for those who need the surgery (all of us here) I think it will be worth it in the long run.

I'm 17 years old and i just got my tonsils out today. For as long as i can remember, i had been getting strep throat and throat infections atleast 5-6 times a year. It was starting to become a real problem. I had never had a cold before that didn't include a sore throat and believe me i was getting extremely sick of feeling like i was swallowing razor blades. One day when i was at my doctors i suggested to him the idea of me getting my tonsils out. He thought this was a brilliant idea and made me an appointment to the ear nose and throat doctor. I went to my appointment and all it took was a 10 second look in my throat for the doctor to realize that i really needed my tonsils out. They we're twice as large as any normal tonsil should be, which is why they we're catching so much bacteria causing my sore throats. That doctors appointment was 2 months ago. Earlier today i was brought into the hospital at 8 am and was immediately brought into a holding room. There, i changed into a hospital jonny and gave a urine sample to make sure i wasnt pregnant. I wasnt thankgod. But that was when i started getting nervous. From there i was brought into another room where i was given my IV and the process of the surgery was explained. From there is was straight to the operating room. Once there i was put onto an operating table and a breathing mask was put on my face. they told me that it was an oxygen mask but the smell and taste lead me to believe that it was anything but oxygen. thats when i started feeling woozy and sleepy. i then felt a burning sensation in my hand where the IV was and i was told that i would fall asleep soon and believe me it was faster than soon. I woke up after the surgery and i apparently had a bad reaction to the anesthesia because i was histerically crying, screaming for my boyfriend and spitting on the floor thinking i was going to throw up. I honestly felt like i was black out drunk. it was awful. but that was the worst part of my surgery. when i came to my senses i was given pain meds thru my IV and i felt alot better. my throat hurt somewhat and it was hard to swallow. it still is hard to swallow but im drinking a lot of water and taking my liquid perks. over all, im not in nearly as much pain as i expected. which is deff a good thing.

Just today, at 40, I had a UPPP with septoplasty, tonsilliectomy..you name it. I call it facial workover. LOL. Its now 350am est. I am afraid to swallow, and more paranoid after reading over these posts. I can honestly say that my heart is racing after experiencing something earlier. I fell asleep on the otoman, slightly inclined. I finally dozed off and woke myself up by gagging on drainage/saliva etc. and spit it into my "spit bottle". Sorry to be rude.

After panting and of course giving myself a healthy dose of anxiety, I cannot fully calm my heart and am god afraid to attmept to sleep as I fell I am not getting enough air, and the whole choking fear.

Can anyone lend some constructive help to overcome this anxiety right now......... I'm tired and my heart is racing...........oh boy what did I do to myself............yikes.

Thanks for any input

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to post a positive experience, because before getting my tonsillectomy, reading all of these posts really scared me, and almost caused me to rethink a procedure that I'm soooooooooo glad that I had.

I had my tonsillectomy on 7/23. For about two weeks afterward, I was in pain and my throat and uvula were really, really swollen. The pain was bad, but it wasn't as bad as my worst throat infections. It was bearable with the medication. I basically hung around and ate popsicles and drank water nonstop for two weeks. After about 10 days I was able to stop taking the heavy duty pain killer, and now about a month later I don't have any pain, just some slight swelling and I'm still sensitive to spicy foods.

All in all, I'm so glad I did it, because it's been a month and I haven't had a strep infection!!!!!!! Before that, I was getting one everytime I stopped antibiotics for more than a few days. I feel so much better physically, and I wouldn't want anyone to not get this procedure done if they need it because they're scared of the pain. I think staying hydrated is the key. Good luck!

Wow everybody definitely had some different things happen after surgery. I, myself had tonsilectomy and adenoidectomy 3 days ago. I have a very hard time speaking, I have to drink plenty of fluids constantly, usually ice tea, water, pop. I've looked in the back of my throat and noticed everything is blue,green,and white. Did anybody else see that? If anyone is having a hard time sleeping make sure you keep you head elevated. I couldnt breathe well at all laying flat. Oh and women comparing this to child birth? How can you do that? During Childbirth I wouldve rather had a day of tonsil pain. But after childbirth, who really has any pain? Not me. All I know is I cant wait to pig out on some food, I havent eaten in 4 days. But on the plus side I've lost 15 pounds. If you have had constant strep throat or tonsilitis I say go for it! I'll never have to worry about my tonsils swelling up again

I am a 15 year old boy who is recovering from my surgery i had 6 days ago. I dont know if it makes any difference but my tonsils were pretty large. Throughout these 6 days i think this has been the worst pain ive ever felt. I get the worst ear aches ive ever has and im constantly spitting out blood. My spit is so thick and the taste in my mouth is just horrible. I cant eat or drink anything without my ears starting to hurt. Yesterday was probobly the worst from all the pain. Ive been perscribed liquid hydrocodone(Vicodin) and it doesnt work so well. I mean it gets rid of the pain but when i drink or eat anything it still hurts. Im mostly just incredibly thirsty and i just really want some water but the pain is just so horrible i cant do it. I can already feel how unhealthy i am. Whenever i take a drink of water or anything my ears ache really badly, I dont know why cause it still hurts even a half hour after i take my medication. I still cant talk either. Ive been doing alot of research on tonsillectomy and what not. But i cant figure out how long it takes to recover. Im having really bad toothaches also. Does anyone else feel just as horrible as i do?

A way to help the ear aches temporarily is by putting a hot pad or a hot washcloth on your ears.

After reading everyone account of horrible tonsil recovery I am doubting my surgery.
Does anyone recommend tonsil removal?

Thanks!
K

Hi there! I'm on day 3, got my tonsils out tues afternoon, i was eating less than an hour after i came round from surgery, tea and toast i'll have you know! hunger conquers all and i'd sat it had a small something to do with the morphine they gave me, doc came round and said they had complications with me during op and they had to get a specialist to do it and that i'd lost alot of blood so i was put on a drip. sleep wasn't great the first night or last night, make sure to keep on top of the pain though cause when it wears off it wears off fast!
whilst sleeping last night i woke to find myself swallowing my own blood, thought to myself it was quite a large amount but i'd leave it and see if nature takes its course, it did stop, and start and stop and start 5 times at least! it's ok today but i'm not taking anymore chances after my loss of blood during the op. also my tongue feels like it's got pins and needles or kinda numb just at the end! anyone else get this??

hey guys, im 16 and had a tonsillectomy 5 days ago. Thank god this forum is here because it is too sore to physically moan to someone how horrible this is! Im in the dreaded day 5-10 phase and REALLY feeling it. The pain killers work quite well, but my throat BURNS in the morning. The pain wakes me at 5 am and stays (even through painkillers) until the afternoon. For some reason the painkillers seem to work very well in the evening, no idea why. Food wise, i can eat bread and small biscuits occasionally, but liquids sting too much. I can't wait to be normal again, i find myself dreaming about burger king and the likes. Anyway thats my rant over, im not trying to say that i have it the worst (since there are like 40 year old guys on here), i just feel like a good old moan!

Hi everyone! I'm 26 and just had my tonsillectomy on 30 Aug 07. After the surgery I was okay with the exception of the fact that I didn't get much sleep that night (up and down for the medicine). Yesterday, the day after, I was okay for the most part too. Last night was a whole different story. I suddenly lost my appetite and started to feel bloated. I was up all night long going back and forth to the bathroom for fear that I was going to vomit. I managed to get about an hour of sleep very early this morning, but ended up waking up only to run to the bathroom and throw up. After that I was okay. The pain level (from 1 to 10) on the day after surgery was about a 5 today it's off the scale. Today I can't talk, can barely open my mouth, my ears hurt, I've got a killer headache, and just being alive in general is painful. I'm not one of those wimpy folks who succumb to a paper cut, I've had two kids, one of which without meds. So when I say this hurts, it really hurts. I guess the main thing is to keep ice cold water near by and try your best to stay on top of the pain. Take the medicine on schedule, missing a few minutes to an hour could mean a world of pain. I'd still do this again. I think a few days of pain to get rid of having strep 3-4 times a year is MORE than worth it. ;-)