I'm about 3.5 weeks post op and no pain at all from about 2 weeks on. If you read my previous posts, I probably had it better than anyone one this forum. I'm facing the worst part of it now ... the reaction to the antibiotics - BIG NASTY fever blisters. I get about 2 or 3 a year anyway, but holy smokes, I have 2 huge ones between my upper lip and nose. So bad I took 2 days off work because they look so terrible. Some people get ulcers inside their mouths as a side effect, which are painful, but I'd take them anyday over this disgusting trauma. I feel like a leper.

Also, I can't seem to shake the 10 POUNDS I GAINED while recovering. Go figure that one out.

But my reasons were for sleep apnea, not chronic strep, etc. I haven't slept this good in 12 - 15 years; actually dreaming again - weird stuff.

hey Mike,

Glad to hear all is good with you - aside from the fever blisters- . If I may ask, what antibiotics were u taking? was it just to prevent an infection? my doc plans on putting me on one for that reason. By the way, my op is scheduled for Christmas Eve... As strange as it sounds, im ready.

All the best,
Noah

Katiria,

I was given two pain medications for my surgery (just a tonsillectomy) in case I couldn't take the first one because of side effects. I was given hydrocodone or liquid vicodin, and ultram - a tylenol/codeine pain med. I ended up taking only the vicodin, along with a nausea medication. I usually get very sick to my stomach with pain medications, and this was no exception. The zofran I took for nausea helped a lot. I know some people have mentioned taking advil, but I was advised not to for a couple of weeks before and after, since it's a blood-thinner and it increased my risk of bleeding.

Hello All,

I scheduled myself for a "pre-op" visit to my ENT tomorrow (Tuesday). I have tons of more questions for him after reading the blogs on this site. My ENT did not tell me half of the stuff people have on this site, go figure! I havent gotten nervous about the surgery just yet...Im sure come Thursday I'll be a wreck. All words of advice are greately appreciated.

Thanks
Katiria

It was the generic version of Ceftin. I believe it was just precautionary against infection. I wil ltry to avoid it in the future. Again, i guess most of my success was keeping the pain at a minimum, which allowed me to eat. My doc agreed. Don't be afraid to ask for it. The week after my pain meds were stopped, I felt horrible - no energy or desire to do anything but sit around. I'm 2 weeks past that and feel fine.

Hello All,

I went to my "pre-op" appointment today...I was told the following: Under no circumstances should I take anything else for pain BUT the Vicodin...Tylenol has Acetomenephine which is also part of Vocidin and it could potentially destroy your liver! Also, he said no Advil, Naprozen Sodium, etc because they thin the blood out. The ENT also said he would not prescribe any kind of anti-nausea medicition because it has negative interactions with pain killers...uggh. He did say that I would be given an anti-nausea medication during the surgery process...so we'll see what happens.

He did, however, call in all my meds today, so I can pick them up tomorrow instead of on Friday after syrgery. Thats one plus! He called in the Vicodin, a steroid, and an antibiotic.

I was advised by the Psychiatrist at work, Im a social worker, to start taking a stool softener two days before the surgery. When I talked to my ENT today he said he didnt think it was necessary. So I will error on the side of caution and take them!!

My ENT said it would be about 2.5 hours after surgery, pending that nothing goes wrong, before I would be allowed to go home. How long was everyone else in the recovery area after surgery?

As always I'll take all the advice I can get LOL!!

P.S. The ENT Said he would not be packing my nose with gauze since Im having a tonsillectomy and knew I wouldnt want to breath through my mouth!

Katiria

I had an abcess on one of my tonsils so I had them removed and they also used to trap food which was something awful smelling. I am on day 11 and so far everything hasn't been too bad. My first day home I ate a grilled cheese sandwich and later ate a ham sandwich. I was hungry and popsicles and crackers were not doing it for me. I think the key was to drink plenty of water a few days before and up to the day before surgery and drinking plenty of fluids after surgery. The most pain was my ears which is subsiding somewhat. I am not looking forward to the scabs coming off but I am ready for this to be over. I was expecting the surgery to be worse because of me being 38 but not too bad at all. In addition, I also had sinus surgery at the same time. I did have Lortab liquid for pain, suppositories for nausea, amoxicillin for antibiotic, and I ate vegetables around day 2 to go to the bathroom because the pain meds will have you constipated. I was advised by my ENT to not baby my throat, drink plenty of fluids (dilute gatorade because it does burn and I still could not drink it after diluting it), chew gum and talk as much as possible. Also to returm to my regular diet as soon as possible so I started the same day I came home. They also noted around day 4 to eat crusty food like chips, crust, crackers to roughen the back of the throat.

Since you are eating mostly normal stuff, you may never notice scabs coming off, I didn't, doc said because I ate so well, as evidenced by the weight I put on AND CAN"T SHAKE OFF. At my one week post op visit my doc said my scabs were all gone due to my eating.

To Katria, I took hyrdcone liquid and percocet tabs at night. I also took some tylenol liquid, but was advised to go easy on that due to the acetmetophin in all of it. But, doc said advil was fine. Different docs say different things. If you want to know the real truth, ask a nurse that's got about 10 or more years behind them

Hello All,
Just wanted to add my two cents. I am almost 34, and had my tonsils and adnoids removed 6 days ago. My thought was that it makes sense to suffer through 2-3 weeks of recovery rather than put up with being sick every 3 weeks forever! Yes, the recovery is absolute hell, but you can/and will survive. It will be worth it in the end- my doctor told me my tonsils have basically been infected for over two years. He also said that when you have any type of chronic infection in your body, it affects EVERYTHING (overall health, well-being, attitude, and of course lowered immune system opening you up to other illnesses.)

Here are some tips- maybe they will help you:
- Drink non-stop. Whether it hurts or not, you need to force yourself to stay hydrated. This seems to be a cycle- if you don't drink (because it hurts to swallow,) you get dehydrated, and that makes it hurt MORE to swallow... Bottom-line- drink! Ice tea, gatorade, and water worked best for me.
- Someone mentioned setting the alarm to wake you before your pain meds wear off- this is a GREAT idea! I have tried it the last two nights, and it really saves you a LOT of pain.
- chew gum- this helps you swallow, and keeps your whole throat more loose.
- plan to be out for at least a week. When I first got home from surgery, I was talking and feeling pretty good. I even ate almost a dozen soft boiled eggs. Boy was I surprized when I woke up on day two feeling HORRIBLE. As a matter of fact, this morning (day 6) was the first day I woke up feeling BETTER than the day before. Be prepared to feel great sometimes, and then terrible an hour later. This is all normal.

Anyway, I hope someone finds this useful. Eveyone really is different when it comes to recovery from this kind of thing. Just read plenty of lists like this and listen to what worked for other people.

Good Luck!

And YES, I would do it again. Think about a better life going forward- you just need to take a few weeks to recover and then your life will be better!

Hi littlemike777

I am thinking of just asking the nurse what she thinks I should do....when I asked the ENT he got all huffy and said no LOL! I have seen alot of people on here say that they had different medications and even more said they took something extra at night! Maybe my ENT is anti drugs or something....he is kinda older. So we shall see what a nurse tells me to do.

Thanks
Katiria

Hi Everyone,

So I had my last pre op "chat" with my ENT today. I was ready armed with more questions and to my surprise he was very open and willing to answer, Basically, no news to report that hasnt already been said on here. I was clear to him that I didnt want to lose a pound (im into fitness) and I want to pain to be managed! One thing he did change was as i said in my alst post they initally prescribe vicodin and today he said since I'm a big guy that i needed something stronger, so he change it to the strongest Lortab... _ mike, I think you mentioned that you use this as well. He also gave me Zofran - I think it's for nausea... ill have to ask about that one... has anyone taken that? The other 2 antibpiciots are to prevent infection and to help the swelling... I'm thinking that's alot of things to take... but we'll see how it goes.... i am def ready. 10 more days to go... THe last thing was i told him the 2 things im most concerned about are bleeding and choking... he basically said if I bleed a little i should call him... i do recall reading people having a little blood, but a little cold H2O seem to help some....
Stay tuned...

Noah

I am having my tonsils & uvula removed Tuesday, Dec 18th. At the same time they are also removing something from the inside of my nose that causes breath obstructions. I am having this done because of sleep apnea I've had for about 10 years. I am 25/m. 2.5 weeks after my surgery (Jan 4) I am scheduled to go on a vacation where lots of partying/beer drinking will be done. To the people who have had this done already, what are my odds of feeling good enough to have a good time on vacation? Thanks.

I, also, had an abcess on my tonsil about a year ago and had it removed while awake. I had my tonisls removed 3 days ago because, from the abcess, I was getting food stuck in my tonisls. The recovery from having my tonisls out is like a vacation compared to the pain I experienced with the abcess. I absolutely reccomend having the surgery, it pales in comparison to the pain of the abcess! good luck!

Hello All,

Today was D Day for me. I went to the outpatient center at 6:30 AM and was scheduled for a 7:30 AM slot. I was his first patient of the day and thats generally good because the doctor isnt in a rush or tired. If your having this done try to be on of the first three patients your doctor is operating on that day.

I was taken out to the prep area and changed into a beatifully designed hospital gown 8-|. I was taken back by a nurse who took my temp, asked when the last time I ate/drank and had me sign off on that information, blood pressure, and asked about how I would get home. After that the anesthetia doctor came asked me some questions again and listening to my heart and chest. He asked about loose theeth, any dental work etc. He quickly told me how they would put me to sleep and how and where I would wake up. I had surgery before and had an asthma attack while I was on the table. This doctor changed the meds because of that to put me to sleep.

So I went to the bathroom and urinated (they dont use a cathater for this kind of op bc its so quick but I wasnt chancing urinating while they operated). They let me keep my underwear on but no bra. They asked me to lay on the table and I put on one those hair net type things they use. Next the nurse put a numbing injection into my wrist that BURNED like HELL!!!!!!! Then she put the IV in and that did not hurt. She put Valium to relax me as soon as the IV was in. Next the strapped my legs in (I even had that done when I had my wisdom teeth taken out NO WORRIES its just so your legs dont slide off) and I had pillow under my knees. They put the arm with the IV (left) into a strap as well and an oxygen detector. The right arm had the blood pressure cuff and was left at my side. Next they put the heart monitors "stickies" on me all over the place. In came the anesthetia doctor and my doctor whom I hadnt seen up till this point. Both said to me they were there as I couldnt see them Im blind as a bat without contacts or glasses LOL. Next came the mask that was blasting cold oxygen then they turned on the anethestia gas that I might add stunk very bad LOL. No counting I was out! XD While I was under I got morphine for pain, Zorfan for naseau, steriods and an antibiotic.

Woke up some time later to a nurse yelling my name. I was in some pain nothing completely horrific and I got TWO shots of Fentanyl (this drug is 8 times stronger than morphine) PLUS before I left I got a percocet pill for pain. I started taking my Vicodin pill dosage as prescribed so there hasnt been that much pain. I got home around 12:00 pm from the hospital and have drank the following: 1.5 liters of water, about 14 oz of chicken brooth, and about 20 oz of Bolthouse protein juice. I've also had one popcisle and eating alot of ice in between drinks. Hydration was stressed at the hospital over and over so I am trying to drink as much as possible so I have been going to the bathroom alot.

I have not sleept at all since I got home from the hospital!!!!! The pain killers are not providing that sedative action I was looking forward too LOL. Tomorrow I wil begin taking my antibiotics and steriods along with the Vicodin

I had a tonsillectomy, septoplasty, and submucuous resucction turbinate (not sure I spelled the last thing rght.) Oh, when my doctor took my tonsils out he apperantly found alot of puss behind the tonsil and down my throat...My ENt told me five years ago that I needed to have my tonsils taken out. Because I waited so long to do I ended up with a deviated septum, needing thos turbinate thingies taken out and with alot of puss, as well as infection. This is not the kind of surgery you want to have postponned!!!!!! Causes more problmes later on for ya.

Updates to follow from my recovery.

Thanks
Katiria

Hey Katrina,

Good to hear from you and I'm glad your op went well. You seem like you're on top of it... staying hydrated and eating what you can, thats GREAAT! Keep it up and please keep us updated as you recover. I have 10 days to go!!

Noah