Recently I lost my preganancy at 9 weeks and was given the usual options from my physician, however he rushed through the explanations with very little opportunity for questions. His recommendation was strongly for a D & C, however after discussing this option with several people I've been told that it's possible and safer to become pregnant sooner if I opt for the medication instead. My main focus here is to shoot for a safe pregnancy as soon as possible after this process with the lowest risk for another miscarriage. Is there anyone who can provide any insight/guidance on this?

I would always listen to my doctor, but you can always get another opinion. A D&C may be required to diagnosed and/or treat a problem such as heavy or prolonged menstruation, as well as unexplained bleeding between periods. About 50% of women who miscarry do not undergo a D&C procedure. Women can safely miscarry on their own, with few problems in pregnancies that end before 10 weeks. After 10 weeks, the miscarriage is more likely to be incomplete, requiring a D&C procedure to be performed. Choosing whether to miscarry naturally or to have a D&C procedure is often a personal choice, best decided after talking with your doctor. The risks of the D&C include infection, perforation of the uterus and pain. Most women will have cramping or spotting for at least a few days after the surgery. Your doctor will tell you what over the counter products to take or prescribe your pain medication if appropriate. You normally will return to your normal menstrual cycles within 6-10 weeks.