Hello guys!

My dog was like crazy in the past few days. I don’t know what is going on with him, but I have noticed that he has some problems with his stool lately. I know what this is about. To cut long story short, it was my friend’s birthday, and I think that he ate something really bad. Since then, he is acting a little bit weird.

My vet told me that he has IBD, or irritable bowel disease. I don’t know much about it, actually, I don’t know anything about this.

I was wondering, can you tell me some diet program for dogs with IBD? 

Hello. That is really common stage in dogs. It happened to my dog a few times, and I think that there is no reason to panic. I know that the cause of irritable bowel disease is poorly understood. The best diet in this case is high – fiber diet program, according to my vet. He told me that whenever my dog has this issue, I can try with it. So, I did it as well, a couple of times, and it helped. I don’t know is there some other way, but I can guarantee that this diet program is really helpful. 

Hey there. I know exactly what you are going through!I have to say that I was really nervous when someone mentioned this. I have a puddle and she is having a lot of issues with IBD.I went to see my vet, because I was really desperate. He told me that I should try bland diet for my dog with IBD, especially if she is having a diarrhea.Well, bland diets don't last too long and very soon you will see some symptoms of improvement.If you don’t know a lot about this diet program, I will tell you that is recommends to cook ground turkey and 100 percent canned pumpkin, or even sweet potatoes.Very soon, you will see the improvement, trust me!

Hello.

Yes, that is actually a great diet program. My aunt was telling me about this diet program a few months ago, but I never used it, I didn’t have to.

I know that she was telling me about this, and some other diet program – the old school blend diet.

You will need beef and rice. But, I did some research, and I can see that beef is not effective, because beef is really high in fat, and this can increase inflammation and promote pancreatitis.

Rice is a complex of carbos, and it can be cause of gas, bloating…

But, I believe that this is helpful.

It’s not a common stage in dogs and yes, there is a reason to panic. Well not panic because that won’t bring any good, but you should be concerned. This is not a simple bowel problem. It’s a chronic, autoimmune disease that can lead to serious complications if it’s not treated properly.

Your dog needs to get the treatment from the vet and then you should focus on homecare. A good idea would be too cook for your dog from now on. Meals that you will be preparing  should not be spicy, they need to be easily digestible. And avoid lactose and gluten.

It is not yet familiar to anyone if the food has anything to do with the cause of this disease, but it has been proven that food affects the later manifestation of the disease. So you do need to take a good care of your dog’s diet.

I also suggest cooked meals. Opt for foods that are easily digestible such as rice, potatoes, chicken meat, white fish… Avoid spicy food, salt and sugar. No fat of course, only olive oil. No icy cold meals or water, but also no warm meals. Go with the room temperature.

Avoid peanuts especially in the form of peanut butter. 

Oh my God, those are chronic bowel movements.

There is no need to panic, but you should be concerned and you should find the way to treat your dog as soon as possible.

I was talking with my vet about this issue, because one of his patient had similar problem with his dog. He told me that there are some good, homemade recipes that can be helpful.

I remember one of them, not all. I am a little bit against canned food, but, my vet told me that canned Science diet is good because it is low fat.

You can also try to give your dog some supplement with maybe some cooked chicken breast, chicken stock, etc. Or you can even give him sweet potatoes. 

I couldn’t agree more with Rubylock. People tend to think of IBD as of a temporary problem, easy to handle. And the truth is, this can cause a life threatening situation if not treated properly.

When it comes to food, rice is great. Try you have your dog eat several little meals rather that one big meal. That way he will digest his food easier.

And don’t even think of feeding him with food that you can buy in pet shops. There is a good chance that it will activate his disease even if he’s in a remission. So no processed food, only home cooked meals. 

I hate IBDs, they’re equally messed up in both dogs and humans. The thing is, no one can actually determine a diet plan that will fit every dog  who suffer from IBD, cause each dog is different. There are some foods that in most cases irritate dog’s bowel such as pepper, nuts, meat that contains a lot of fat, chocolate, sugar etc.  And there are some foods that usually benefit their bowel, such as rice, yogurt, chicken etc. But everything else you need to find out on your own by paying special attention to your dog’s stool. You need to figure out which food results with a bad stool and avoid it.

Hello. I totally do agree that causes are really different. God, there are so many ways, so many causes that can cause this annoying and pretty much irritable bowel disease. I think that this is something very common in dogs, I have experience with it and I know what am I talking about. When my dog had this problem, I started to heal him with meds, but very soon I saw that quality diet program is pretty much the best option. Still, raw food is my recommendation because it is the best! Observe your dog's stool, every day! No exception.