I am a 20 year old girl with a healthy medical history. Last summer I put on weight, especially around my abdomen and recently I have been trying to get rid of it. I have been eating more healthily and going to the gym more often. I was steadily losing a healthy amount of weight and I felt my stomach toning up.

Recently I went through a week of eating out at restaurants, so I have not been eating quite well. However, I went back to the normal diet and exercise but in the last two weeks my stomach has bloated up and the bloating not gone down. My navel has also swollen, which has never happened before. My stomach feels very different to before.

What prompted me to consult you on this is that I was asked if I was pregnant yesterday, it was mortifying when I had to say that I am not. I have quite a slim frame, and would describe my abdominal area as the only place in my body with excess fat.

Am I just fat in this area, or could there be an underlying cause? I see myself to have quite a healthy, balanced diet, have no digestion discomfort and do not eat or drink any more than any of my friends who have varied, but well balanced figures.

I was planning on seeing a doctor but can only get an appointment with a female doctor in two week's time, so I thought it would be better to ask here first. Thank you for your help.

Hey! yea it could just be bloating especially if your stomach feels tight. Keep a food journal for about a month and see if there is a pattern that points to a cause of the bloating. But if your stomach doesn't feel tight, just fat, chances are you just have a fat distribution concentrated in the stomach. Excess abdominal fat is actually pretty common and frustrates a lot of us because diet and even aerobic exercise can seem to ignore that fat. The key is adding resistance training to your plan. The more muscle you have the higher your metabolism will be and you will be more likely to have a normal fat distribution. Your body will start to store fat in a more aesthetically pleasing pattern.

While you should not necessarily dismiss the possibility that you are, in fact, pregnant, if the circumstance make it possible, all kinds of things can cause a bloated stomach. They aren't all linked to a poor diet and lack of exercise, either. 

Anything from swallowing too much air to a parasitic infection, and from a hernia to intestinal blockages, can cause a bloated stomach. What you're really after is a bloated stomach cure of course, and to get that, you're gonna have to wait to see your doctor. In the meantime, even if you don't have intestinal discomfort, perhaps try drinking fennel tea and make sure to continue eating healthily and exercising.