Hello. It’s me again. I wanted to ask you all do you ever have problems when it comes to digestion of your cats? I don’t know is it just me, but whenever I decide to take care of an animal, it starts getting sick all the time. This time I’ve adopted a cat and ever since the day I brought her home we have been having all sorts of troubles. First there were problems with her skin and we solved them. Currently, her stomach is bloated and she has hard stools. Do you know what causes bloated stomach and hard stools in cats?

Well it can be many different things. You didn’t really tell us much about the cat so it is pretty hard to make assumptions.

First of all, it can be the food. What are you feeding her?

I remember back when got my cat I didn’t know much about cat nutrition and cat care in general. I was feeding her exclusively with dry food, my friend who works in a near-by pet shop used to bring me kibble and she loved it. But her stomach was constantly bloated and hard stools were an every day occasion.

So it’s probably the food. Try cooking meals for her and avoid kibble for a while.

Good day you two.

Oskikuru, just like Mia told you – a lot of different things can cause bloated stomach and hard stool in cat. Here are some causes :

• Current diet program,
  • Low fiber diet program,
  • Dehydration,
  • Hairballs,
  • Hair on the buttocks,
  • Side – effects of some medications (if you are giving some medications to your cat),
  • Tumor
  • Intestinal obstruction,
  • Obesity.

Next thing what you need to do is to visit your vet. He will tell you what are the potential causes…

But I believe that the main reason is food that you are giving to your cat.

Maybe you are feeding her with dry food?

Hello everyone. I hope you are doing fine.

Well whatever is the cause you need to know that it can be serious. It is a little bit silly to try to determine what is the cause without consulting your vet.

OK, we can help you about this. We can tell you potential causes, but you should visit your vet. It is not so good to try to heal them alone. As I told you many things can cause it such as intestinal blockage, stress, lack of exercise, loss of water, arthritis or tumor.

Yes, it can be the food but it can be something more serious.

Hey guys,

Doesn't scare him like that, Carla. It's rarely serious and dangerous and his cat probably just ate something bad or she is maybe under stress because Oshikuru already told us that she is being sick all the time.

I would recommend a laxative for cats, be sure not to use the ones for humans. Just a single dose and it should totally clean her system. If she is not used to poop in her sand yet, you might have to clean a lot, but that's no big deal for you, right?

And if you decide to do this, visit the vet later anyway, just to be sure it's all alright now.

Hey everyone,

Although I agree with Ruby when it comes to laxatives, I don't think that you should give your cat any medications without consulting your vet first.

I think they have already mentioned most of the causes of bloated stomach and hard stool. It includes a low-fiber diet, dehydration, blocked anal sacs, enlarged prostate gland, tangled hair on the buttocks, ingestion of foreign objects, tumor, neurologic disorder or obesity.

This is why you need to visit your vet first, because you can hardly guess the cause by yourself. You can try but if your guess is wrong and you treat that wrong guess, you can cause additional complications.

Hey there.

OK, let’s stop thinking about bad things such as cancer. I don’t believe that this cat has a cancer. I believe that she ate some wrong food. Maybe she found something on the ground or in the garden. You can’t just prevent cat to eat everything that she can find on the ground, right?

I am against laxatives in this case. I believe that there are so many good natural laxatives such is pumpkin. Pumpkin is cure for everything. And one more thing, do not use human laxatives. That is very bad idea.

Anyway, I believe that food is the cause of this situation.

Hey, hey, hey :)

First of all, it can be something serious. But still there is no reason to panic. I agree with almost everyone in here that this cat had to eat something wrong.

The other possible cause are intestinal worms because they are very common in cats. But again just to be sure you need to check with your vet.

He needs to do stool test. This is the best way to find what the main cause of it. An ultrasound is great option, maybe it is expensive but this is the best way to find out the cause.  

Hey everyone,
I doubt that his cat has an intestinal worm, Millie Cat, otherwise he would have seen some small parts of this worm in his cat's poop, plus, her poop wouldn't be hard but loose.
Since we haven't heard from you in eight days already, I'm guessing that your cat is feeling better now. If I'm right and she just ate something bad, then she was probably better a day or two after you wrote the post. If not, I hope that at least you took her to the vet and he found out what’s wrong with her.
If she’s still sick, I hope that you found a way to treat her condition.