I truly feel a connection to the guy I’ve been dating for about 8 months- we connect on a deep level, we also fight like bulldogs. Last night he backhanded me in the face- to be fair, I’ve hit him before and he didn’t hit me back. His was a bad blow- busted my nose and blacked both me eyes. He started crying and was remorseful and even insisted I hit him multiple times in the face. I even drowned him in pepper spray- to which he received skin burns and lung damage from. Geez- when I write it out we seem disturbed. My question is: should I give him another chance? Will he always resort to hitting? His hit was like 10,000 times more powerful than mine phyically but does that mean anything...idk. 

My husband and I have been together for 10 years. I met him when I was 19, so I grew really close to him. We were both raised in strong Irish Catholic homes, and we both have fierce tempers. When we fight occasionally (not always) we get physical with eachother, he'll strike me and I'll strike him back or vise versa- or I'll break things/ he'll break things. We never go over board and I never feel unsafe. The only time it went to far my husband shoved me and I tripped hitting my head and knocking me out. He told started crying and became really upset cause he thought he hurt me. That hasn't happened since and only the one time. My husband and I are best friends and treat eachother as equals... The main thing though is neither of us feel unsafe or scared of the eachother. I know he's my protector and Im his nurturing wife. I think everyone has their limit and when pushed they'll strike... It different for everyone, but I grew up with brothers who did the same thing- we'd fight they'd hit I'd hit back but i've never been beaten or have felt in danger. I think there's a limit and line to what danger is really involved....