about a week ago, small skin-colored bumps started appearing under the skin on most fingers, palm side only. they first appeared at the top of the finger and eventually down the sides of a couple of them. they itch at night, when i have no distractions. they look a bit reddish at times but mostly haven't changed except to spread. i now have so many on my left index finger that it looks swollen and deformed. both hands are painful and hard to move upon waking each morning.
the bumps have also spread to both ankles. there, they are flatter and blotchier. on a few of them, a small, red "bullseye" has appeared on a few of them. the ankle bumps itch like crazy.
3 days ago, my dr saw them and said we'll wait before doing bloodwork and biopsy. she suspects it's either viral and would go away on its own (no such luck) or related to auto-immune issues, which will require further investigation. Strangely, this comes a day after i finished treating a bad bout with poison ivy with the antibiotic levaquin. the poison ivy had turned into a serious bacterial skin infection on one hand. dr says the drug isn't supposed to trigger an allergic reaction like this. for the record: i'm a 41 yr old woman. also, i examined photos of dishydrosis and other disorders but none resemble my bumps. sound familiar to anyone?

It sounds similar to something I have, that I don't know what is. I get small bumps, only about 2mm wide all over the side of my finger, at the back of my finger over the knuckles, and inside my palm near the knuckles.
They sometimes just pop up and go away after one day to a week, leaving a white ring of dead skin. they seem to come and go randomly but allways in groups. When it gets particulary bad, it itches a lot and there will be a big grouping of them with red skin where my fingers meet my palm that hurts to touch and it hurts a little to move the close the hands. It looks inflamed just 3mm underneath the skin with red little dots in the centre of each small bump. I am not very bothered by this, as it usually goes away fast and rarely gets to the point where it is painful/annoying.

My father says I might have inherited his psoriasis, but I have found little information about the startingphases of such a a severe skin problem. Haven't gone to the doctor about it as its not so bothersome. I am just curious as to what it is.

Medical Student here:
I believe you have a classic case of scabies. The dry rings you describe are the borrow of the mites.
Other symptoms may include: general itchiness around, thighs, butt, waist and in some cases even genital area (penis). Other areas to further become infested are the ankles and toes.
Many times this will accelerate to clusters of boil like fluid filled sacks. Which is just your immune system reacting to the invasion of the mite.
Cure: 5% Permethrin Cream, neurotoxin for the mites
Hope this was help full,