Hi, I really need some help understanding what is happening to me.

Sooo heres my story, any kind info you know will help me understand more.

I noticed a few years back that I had a discharge coming from my vagina, that had an odor too it. So i went to my doctor right away, he gave me a pap and told me I had bacterial vagonosis. He gave me gel, and pill medication to fix it. Except that the medication only worked for about a week or 2 and then all my symptoms came back. Since then I have gone to several doctors and they all did the same thing. Ive gone about 6 different times, and each time having the same results, them thinking I have bacterial vagonosis. But it ALWAYS seemed to return. So i went to a gyno about a week ago and she gave me a culture calling me back a few days later to inform me I have chlamydia. All along could I have had chlamydia and the doctors just missed it? Or could it have turned into Chlamydia because It was not taken care of correctly? ALSO I did some researching about chlamydia, and i read that if Chlamydia was left untreated for a long time It could cause PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) how likely is it, that if I have had chlamydia for this long that I could also very well have PID??

Hi Cayla,

BV can be difficult to treat so having it come back is not uncommon.  BV won't develop into Chlamydia but it can make you more susceptible to STD's.  Where you ever tested for this before?

Ask your doctors about PID.  Since we don't know how long you had Chlamydia it would be hard to say.

Hope it helps.

I am not sure what I have been tested for. But i have had yearly paps to make sure I was std free, so im guessing i was tested for chlamydia before. Seeing how my BV symptoms never went away, could i just have both problems now?

I just am not sure what to think..

can chlamydia be mistaken for BV? Because i have been 100% faithful to my boyfriend, which ive been with for months yet he doesnt have any symptoms of chlamydia. And im having the same symptoms as always, when I have been told i have BV soo many times. Just NOW after soo many times being checked they just now notice i have chlamydia. It makes no sense to me.

You could have both.  BV is basically the bacteria in your vagina are out of balance.  BV can increase the chances of you catching an STD.

There is more than one test to detect Chlamydia.  I'm not sure what they would have used, likely a culture, but it is unlikely the lab would misidentify the bacteria.  Your boyfriend needs to be tested.  Most people do not show any symptoms.  

Pap smears don't reliably detect STD's.  They are used to check for cervical cancer.  It is possible you've had this, or your boyfriend has, for a while.

Hope it helps.

thank you! and yes you have helped.

I had the exact same thing happen for 2 years, every month I would get BV. After trying countless antibiotics and every home remedy known to man, I finally got fed up and found Dr Attila Toth in NYC, who does antibiotic uterine washes. I flew all the way from CA to see him, and it was very expensive, but worth every penny!  I was so depressed and finally at my wits end with the monthly BV infections, and my relationship was also suffering.  Anyways, while in NY, I tested positive for chlamydia (I had been tested several times before that and it was always negative.) Long story short, I have never had BV again since seeing Dr Toth!  Hallelujah!

Hi, I went to the doctor with symptoms of chlamydia and I was positive it was chlamydia but the doctor told me it was BV. She gave me antibiotics and free I was, well few months later went to a different doctor and tested positive for chlamydia. Still with the same partner. So it could be a possibility depending on what doctor you go to.

Hi, I'm not sure how long this has been posted but what has happened since then I.e did your boyfriend have the symptoms. The reason I ask is I have had the exact same situation I've had BV on and off for a year or over and I always have STI tests every 12 weeks for many years as I have the depo injection so this has been routine for around 4 years I have been with the same partner for 3 years and have never had any problems until sometime last year I had results of chlymidia so instantly assumed id been cheated on I have been completely fruitful. He got checked but the results have came back negative which really doesn't make any sense?! The doctors have no explanation for this as even if he had it and got rid of it we still never use condoms so therefore he would of gotten it back from me. This has puzzled me for a long time and it now sounds like you have a similar situation and I haven't never heard any body else other than me have this problem.

I have the same problem as you I have gone to the same doctor and would be checked constantly for stds and always it was negative even though I thought I had BV but it was always negative anyway I had intercourse with an old ex then a couple months later with a guy I was dating I went to the doctor and tested positive for chlamydia when I called them both to tell them they immediately went and got tested but both of there results came back negative and we also didn't use protection and I was thinking there is absolutely no way I had it and they didn't get it because they even ate the box ( excuse my detailed story) but I only said it to say that I think the doctors can confuse the 2. Did you go get tested again to see if they might have confused the 2 ?

So if you're treated for chlamydia & they possibly made a mistake what happens??? (And pregnant

The same thing just happened to me I've had bv on and off for over 5 years and just recently I went to the doctor and tested positive for chlamydia so I go crazy on my boyfriend of 6 years And he swears that he never cheated I'm confused but I believe him so there has to b another way

Your boyfriend is smart, he gave it to you, he knows you have it, he take his meds to protect himself from you ever so often, get a sample from him take it to the lab and I guarantee you you will find evidence of chlamydia meds in his urine it should have a Dark color from the high level of protein in his meds.

I want to share my story. It sounds similar to most of yours.
I have been treated for BV before. My doctor of 15 years had recently retired, so I had to find a new PCP. I just so happened to run across an office that was right up the street from me. I basically did my own culture, and had to call back to get my results 2 weeks later .(when I initially called, the nurse told me my results hadn't even been processed!) finally, after 2 weeks , the doctor called me back and told me I had clhmydia, and prescribed me an antibiotic.
I had sex with my boyfriend 1 month before that exam. 2 weeks after we had sex, we both passed a std exam. I have not been with anyone else, and I have not had sex since then. I took the antibuotic5 the doctor prescribed the day he told me I had the std.... But my BV symptoms are still present. After my expierence , yes it is possible to misdiagnose BV. I went in knowing what was wrong, and came out paranoid as hell. Mistakes happen, doctors should own up to them.

What was the cost, I did some research and it sounds like a real solution, but couldn't find any info on the cost for this procedure :(

I have the same issues! BV has been a battle that some how turned to chlymidia . My partner got tested negative and I'm positive.. idk how because he's the only person I've ever been with.