About 3-4 weeks ago I had a itchy/ticklish sensation in my urethra.  A few days passed and then I noticed a clear discharge.  The discharge is a bit sticky, so it makes the hole of my penis stick together.  A few days later, I woke up and saw a white discharge.  The white discharge only happened this one time.  So, I went to the hospital the next day and did a urine test.  The tests came back negative.  The doctor said that it was probably some kind of bacteria, but it should go away.  Well, I waited for about a week, and the tickling sensation and discharge was still there.  So I went back and he referred me to a urologist. 

I went to the urologist and did a swab and urine test.  The test came back positive for Chlamydia.  I was shocked because I have been with my girlfriend for 8 months and we lived and worked together for about 3 months now.  We are literally with each other 24/7, so I know she didn't give it to me.  Also, she got her full gyno screening about a month ago and everything came back negative.  Since I didn't believe this test, I went to a third doctor and took a urine test.  I came back positive for 2 things now -- Chlamydia and Gardnerella.  How is it that I took this test 3 times and got 3 different results?   

So, my question is -- what are the chances that I received 2 false positives for Chlamydia?  Is there any other type of infection that can get mixed up with Chlamydia?  The 2nd doctor gave me antibiotics for Chlamydia and I took them for 6 days, however, I still had the discharge after 6 days with little improvement.  So, I just started taking a different type of antibiotics from the 3rd doctor, also for Chlamydia.  The thing is, I really don't see how it would be Chlamydia.  Unless I was silently carrying it for 8 months (I don't think this is even possible!?).  My girlfriend and I have unprotected sex since she is on the pill.  After I told her my test results, we were both baffled. One factor that I think it could be is that I changed laundry detergents recently.  Is it possible that this could cause a false positive for Chlamydia?   

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Hi Vaper,

It's unlikely you have two false positive tests.  It's a bacteria, not an allergic reaction.

It's more likely that you've been carrying these infections.  Chlamydia is known as the silent carrier because it often produces NO symptoms and can remain in your body for years - or hers.

She should get tested again as well.

Gardnerella is a form of a yeast infection. 

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply medic-dan.

The strange thing is that her tests came back negative and she doesn't have any symptoms. She'll be going in to get tested again tomorrow. I just don't understand how she could still be negative when we've been having unprotected sex for months.

I've been on medication for about 8 days now, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. In fact, the past two days I felt a slight burning sensation while/after urinating. I never had this feeling before. Is this the normal process for healing? Because it seems like its getting worse.

Just because you are infected does not mean she will get infected, and vice versa.  It is also possible that she was tested before it could be detected.

You can have some discomfort while healing, as the antibiotics start to work.  If it becomes worse or you don't notice an improvement then contact your doctor.  You don't say what you are on currently but it could be a side effect - ask your doctor or pharmacist.

medic-dan, thanks for your replies.
So now, after more than 3 weeks I'm finally done taking antibiotics and the tingling sensation is almost completely gone. However, I guess there is still some discharge because the opening of my penis is sticking together. It's like I ejaculated and did not clean the tip of the penis. The strange thing is, if I 'milk' it and try to get any discharge out, nothing comes out. As a result to the sticky urethra, my urine sprays everywhere. Is this normal throughout the healing process?
Also, my gf and I went to get another check for her and she came back negative again. Obviously, this makes it look like I cheated, but I have not been with any other girl for the past year. The doctor mentioned that it can stay dormant for a year, but he was shocked that my gf never contracted it from me. I still feel that there is something wrong with my test. It has been an extremely strange experience as I was not very sexually active and feel that my past partners would have told me if they ever found out they had anything.

Also, since I was positive for Gardnerella, we checked that for her too. She came back negative for that also. Could the Gardnerella that came up for me be mixed up with Chlamydia?

You can have Clamydia and never show any symptoms of the disease whatsoever. It's possible that a previous girlfriend or sexual partner had it without your or her knowing. You could have been carrying the disease and your girlfriend had a yeast infection which would definitely triggered your symptoms. --She could possibly be infected now as well.

No. Unless the doctors you're seeing are completely stupid. Your past partners may still be carrying the disease unaware that they are even infected with it. That's why chlamydia is a common STD, some people can be a carrier and never show any signs of having it for years. --Wrap your willy!

The tests are specific for each so it is unlikely that there was a mix up.

Gardnerella is somewhat unusual for a male. It is associated with females - bacterial vaginosis.

Hello again,

So it has been awhile since I posted my topic.  Luckily, I had a trusting girlfriend, and she believed me when I told her that I had not been with anyone for over a year at the time.  However, I recently went to get a physical and I randomly thought of this incident.  I told the doc my story and he said that he is almost 100% sure that my girlfriend actually cheated on me OR had Chlamydia, and when she found out, she got it tested without telling me.  I guess anything is possible, but we were literally together almost 24/7.  He made it seem like it would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to have it, and not her if we were having unprotected sex for several months.  I did some research on the internet, and it seems like 99% of the information out there agrees with my doc.  I'm so confused!!

Nothing is impossible, just very unlikely. As long as you've been treated and she has, you should be clean.

Do you trust your girlfriend? If you can say yes then let it pass. It's not worth destroying a relationship.

Good luck.

Yes, I do trust her. But when my doctor told me this, it really messed with my head. But I will take your advice and move on. If it wasn't for you, my life might have taken a very serious turn. Thank you for your help!