My son is 13 years old. He is a good kid I suppose. Good pupil, lots of friends…anyway I noticed that he’s appetite increased suddenly. It’s been two months how he eats twice as much as he did before. I think it is too early for puberty or isn’t? Is sudden increased appetite sign that he is in puberty, and can you tell what other I can expect in the future. Thank you!

Hello. I must tell you signs of puberty are very individual. When my daughter was in puberty she had emotional changes, acne, sometimes she was anxious and yes, she did have increased appetite too. Sudden increase appetite can be sign that your son is in puberty too. You can expect things like desire for independence, lots of kids start acting like that in puberty.

Hi Hare,

I don’t think that your son has any problem with this. I think it’s puberty. My son started to notice changes in his life when he was 12 years old. It’s not just appetite, it’s almost everything. His voice began to change easily and he was growing very fast. I was almost afraid that he won’t stop growing. And the bigger he got the more food he eat.

Also very important in his development in that age are physical activities. Is he doing any sport or maybe when he is playing with his friend does he spend a lot of calories. Children tend to run a lot and they need energy.  If he is not getting fat I think you should be happy for him.

All the best,

Danella

How did you support your daughter with increased appetite? Any tips