Hey, I am 20 years old and last January I had strep throat. My lymph nodes became swollen, but they haven't gone down. In fact, they seem to have gotten more numerous since that time. I cannot count the number of lumps on my neck, but now they are on my jaw and groin as well. There is one very painful one in the back of my neck which is almost constantly achy or stiff. I can't lay a certain way, or try to lift my head when lying my on back because the pain is so bad. The other lymph nodes in my neck will ache on occasion, though nothing too annoying or severe.

When I went to see the doc, he wanted to do blood tests to check for leukemia or lymphoma, but, because I am a baby about needles, I declined. The strep test there came back negative, but when I went to see another doc, they said it was strep (but no tests....)

I was diagnosed with chondromalacia when I was 15, and the pain in my knees has only gotten worse. I am also experiencing pain in my other joints, though not as bad as my knees. I was wondering if the inflammation in my joints may be to blame, or if the swollen lymph nodes could mean something else, and if they cause fatigue?

Thanks for your time...

A friend recently told me that she had the same problem with her lymph nodes, and quit smoking. A month later, the lymph nodes had gone down. Could this be a factor? I have been smoking for about 3 years, so 2 years before the problem...

Also, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I have to insurance, nor can I afford it. Needless to say, I cannot afford to see a doctor about it either, unless the pain worsens - the pain in the back of my neck is already bad enough to restrict some motion, but not enough to keep me from work, which is my major concern. Anyways, thanks again for reading.

i as well have swollen lymph nodes in my neck. the most noticeable being on the left side of the back of my neck...base of head top of neck. i also feel other nodes which are swollen in my neck. i have the same stiffness all the time but usually no pain unless pressure is applied. i am going to the doctor monday, as i am worried about lymphoma or leukemia. you should really get the blood tests, needles arent that bad. u would rather know what is going on with your health, and just face the bills as i am going to do. be safe, not sorry. i wish u the best, and hopefully neither one of us will be facing something so serious. good luck to you. i will post results of appointment on tuesday.