Hello everyone.

I hope you can help me because I really don’t know what to do. My dog is acting strange and it looks like he is in pain. Everything started ten days ago when he refused to eat his favorite meal with beef and chicken liver. I thought it is nothing serious, he will eat it eventually. He is just not that hungry at the moment.

Since then, his appetite is very bad and he looks kind of depressed. I am really sad because of him. I don’t know how to help him.

One of my friends told me that he might have Addison disease. Can somebody tell me what are the symptoms of this disease?

Hi.

As you may know Addison disease is a very serious health condition and it is not very polite from your friend to scare you like that. You must first see a vet and only he can diagnose the disease. This disease is a consequence of improper working of adrenal glands which are located near the kidneys. To be more precise, when adrenal glands don’t produce enough of glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids it is very likely to get Addison’s disease.

The most common symptoms are vomiting, dehydration, weakness and low blood pressure. If I were in your shoes I would call a vet as soon as possible.

Hello, Mima.

Is he losing weight rapidly? Any sign of frequent urination followed by increased thirst? These are all signs of Addison’s. Like Dalmatian_lover said, that condition is very serious and only a vet can give you right diagnose, so do not hesitate.

Good news is, even if your pet is diagnosed with Addison’s, from your words I can tell that you noticed signs on time and treatment has a very good chance to be successful. The treatment depends on the severity of presenting signs and dogs need to receive an immediate medical attention.  

I really hope that this isn’t a case of Addison’s.

Hello I had this problem with my pet a few months ago. He was really nervous, he was not eating, and I was really worried about him. One night I woke up, and he was in corner of my room, he was looking so bad. I believe that he was in big pain. I took him to the vet, and he told me that those are symptoms of Adison’s disease. So, we started to heal him from this. Recovery was really long and painful for my dog and for my family, but he is fine now.So you should be worried about this.

Hey there. I am really sorry to read all those stories. But, don’t worry, even if your dog has a problem with it, once you found this on time, everything will be just fine. Now, the main symptoms of Addison’s disease are lack of appetite, weight loss, shaking, diarrhea, lethargy, increased frequency of urination, depression, dehydration, weak pulse, collapse, low temperature, painful abdomen, hair loss.

One of the signs is when your dog is losing his appetite, so if you see any of those symptoms, you really should consult your vet.

It can be really a huge problem if you don’t find this out on time. 

Hello everyone.

I think you guys are just freaking her out (Mima). Yes, the symptoms she mentioned could really be the symptoms of Addison’s disease but we can’t be sure. Those symptoms could also be the symptoms of depression. As you may know depression is not rare at all in dogs.

I mean, yes, the lack of appetite and weakness are the signs of Addison’s but I am just saying that we don’t need to rush into conclusions especially because we are talking about a serious disease like Addison’s.

So Mima, my advice is to take your dog to the vet as soon as possible and after he makes his diagnose you will see what to do.

Well done Frankie Jr, I think your post is great. When I started reading posts on this topic my first thought was “but these guys are just scaring this poor girl, maybe her dog is just tired or something” and then I saw your post where you literally wrote down my thoughts.   :)

Mima mentioned just two symptoms, low appetite and depression but Addison’s disease is usually noticeable by a big number of symptoms. Some of them are weakness, sleep disorder, constant fatigue, polydipsia (increased thirst), vomiting, diarrhea, polyuria (increased urination) and so on. Only if you have noticed almost every symptom from the list, then you can start thinking about Addison’s disease.