Hey everyone,

How have you all been doing?

I’ve heard a lot of people complaining lately about their dog’s swollen legs and I see them very often in stray dogs. My dogs had their legs swollen once or twice but it usually passed within two days.

My friend has a really crazy dog that she took from the shelter and her dog’s leg is swollen at the moment. And it was swollen two times in the past month. One time in the month before that. My friend is losing her mind and she is wondering if you know any ways to prevent swollen legs in dogs?

Hey Ruby,

I’m guessing that your friend’s dog is going to be just fine, he’s probably just playing in some bad terrain so he’s always getting his legs hurt.

I don’t think that you can prevent this from happening. You would have to forbid your dog to play in certain terrain so he doesn’t get his legs hurt. There are a lot of causes for swollen legs in dogs and you can’t really prevent them all. So I think that even trying to do so is not really worth it.

But, I would suggest to your friend that she takes her dog to a vet because swollen legs can mean cancer, although it’s not so common.

Hey to you two,

I have some experience with swollen legs as I’m an owner of two Dalmatians. More of a friend than an owner.

I know that this can be caused by some foreign objects stuck in your dog’s legs, a spider bite, cancer or a problem with your dog’s lymph nodes. Since you can’t do much to prevent the last two causes, you can do this (as I’m always doing): examine your dog’s legs as soon as you return home from the outside. Check for any wounds or stings and clean them if you find any. When you make this a habit, you will rarely see your dog with a swollen leg.

Hey guys,

I’ll agree with Dalmatian Lover regarding the treatment.

Swollen legs are a really common thing in dogs and are almost never dangerous. The only two cases I know that can be dangerous are if your dog has a cancer or if he has some really, really bad infection.

Otherwise, it is caused by some foreign objects stuck in your dog’s paw pads. You can’t prevent any of these things, you can just treat them. And luckily, they are easily treated.

I understand that your friend is bored with treating this non- stop, but she’ll have to get used to it. :) 

Hey, I really hope that your dog is doing fine. I really hope that it is nothing serious. But I understand what you are going through. My dog’s leg was really swollen and he was not able to walk for days. But he was fine, he was not grumpy at all.

He was drinking, eating with no problems.

A few days after it was also a little bit tender and swollen but it was nothing.

I was blaming myself because I was thinking that I could stop this. I consulted my vet and he told me that that was impossible to prevent.

Dogs are really playful and there is no way to prevent it.

When this happens, you should try to find the best treatment for your dog.

Trust me darling, it is not your fault.

I am always cleaning my yard and my house and last week it happened to my Boo as well. I think that the main cause was needle from the Christmas tree.

So actually I really don’t want to repeat what other people told you, but there is no way to prevent it.

I don’t know what you need to do to prevent it.

Don’t focus on it. Better focus on the best treatment and cleaning the wound to prevent some further infections. Swollen legs are really common in dogs. They are really easy to treat and that is the good thing.

Hello. Friends, there is no way to do that. I could read some post where you say that you can prevent it by cleaning your yard and your home. Well, that is also impossible. You can’t! Do you even know how this can be caused? I am sure that you do know. Don’t think about the prevention, better think on the treatment when this happens. You should find out a lot about it just in case, when this happens to you that you can take a good care of your dog’s leg. After this focus on the treatment together with your vet.

Good day. It is impossible. I agree with the rest of this “group”. If you notice that your dog is acting weird, that he can’t walk, that he is in pain observe his leg and look for some signs of discomfort and some asymmetry. You should identify the leg that is swollen and when you do that, observe it.
Anything could get “stuck” in your dog’s leg. It could be glass, nail, needle, plastic object. And what about the hot asphalt? Now, how do you think that you can prevent it? Obviously that there is no way :) Good luck with trying it.