I have been doing several programs that helped me build up both my strength and muscle mass. But, as I have been just following the rules on the paper, I never really understood the slight differences in exercises and I would really like to know something more. Can you explain the difference between dumbells and barbell bench?

Every time you lift different weight under different angle and in a different position, you activate your muscles in a different way. The exercises most of us perform are just the most common ones, already identified as the best there is in weight lifting and for bringing the best results. Dumbells can move more freely, so you have to control them a bit better then barbell. Also, difference in strength in both arms (that exist in everyone), is much more visible in dumbbell exercises.