I am due in January and of course during my pregnancy I gained some weight – I hope most of it will come off with childbirth, but I am almost positive some of it will have to be eliminated with the help of exercise. I am totally okay with that – I’ve been active through my pregnancy, so exercise is no stranger to me. Most friends were surprised I am still exercising in my 8th month, they all think I should be resting, but I know my body best, and I feel good when I exercise. I was performing some abdominal exercises by 7th month, but now my belly is so big and it simply does not feel natural to work on my abdominals, so for now I have stopped – better safe than sorry. But I was wondering how soon after childbirth I can start with abdominal workout again, and of course generally working out again. I’ve heard some women wait till 6th month postpartum. To be honest- if I will have to wait 6 months, I will go crazy :) … Please, advice from experienced!

About postpartum exercises – you should consult with your obgyn about that, because this depends on the type of childbirth. If you it will be vaginally, then abdominals are not far away, but if it will be a C-section, you will have to be very careful and start very slowly. Actually in every case, whether labor is vaginal or C-section abdominal exercises are the last one to incorporate into your training routine. Usually women (after a healthy pregnancy!) can start about 2 months postpartum. This is the time when your body is more or less recovered from birth, there is less dizziness, and you have probably got some routine with your baby. But remember, abdominal exercises and exercises on the floor are the last one to incorporate into trainings. I would advise you to start with following abdominal workout: get a dumbbell or some type of weight (start light). Stand straight, feel shoulder width apart, take a dumbbell in one hand, or if you have two dumbbells – each in one hand – lean to one side and go as low as you can - try to reach the level of knee and the same time – if you are holding two dumbbells – with the dumbbell on the other side pull the dumbbell up to the arm pit area. This will add more resistance to the training.