Hello guys. I have problem with my dog. First, let me tell you some information about my dog. He is small. I have Chinese crested and he is almost two years old. Lately I saw that he is in pain because he doesn’t want to play anymore the way he used to play with me. I was talking with my vet on the phone and he told me that I should bring my dog to his office. But he told me that he thinks that, according to some symptoms, he has back pain. Do you know any home treatment for small dogs with back pain? Thank you! 

Hey there. Well this is very rare breed :) They are so adorable, they are small and they are just for home. If you have kids, they will be the best friends :)

About your question, you first need to determine does your dog really have back pain problems.

At first you should try to give him a massage. That is the best home treatment as you can possible get.

My friend paid for some laser surgery. I think that this surgery cost about 5000 dollars. But honestly, I think that there is no need for this.

Of course, consult your vet.

Hi you two,

I think that it is really rare that your small friend has back pain. It usually happens to bigger breeds. 

First of all, you need to determine what is causing his back pain. Back problems can mean muscle spasms from a really energetic day of play or can even mean intervertebral disk disease which is, in most cases, caused by genetics.

To find out what is causing this back pain, your vet needs to do some tests. After he's done with all the testing and he finds out what is the cause of this, he is going to give you the proper treatment for it.

Hey there guys. First, please don’t blame me.. I still haven’t see the vet :/ Something came up and I had to go to the business trip. I left my dog at my friend’s home and I asked her to take her to the vet. But she didn’t. She told me that she forgot. When I came back I saw that my dog is in pain. I saw those sad eyes. I tried to touch his back but I was not able – he run away immediately. I have an appointment to vet tomorrow. I was reading a little bit and I saw that maybe this is not back pain. I will see tomorrow that is going to happen and what is the cause of this behavior.

Hey guys,

Small breeds rarely have trouble with back pain, I'm wondering what's up with your dog.

I'm guessing that you two are regularly walking and running together. Have you maybe noticed that he fell nasty or something similar? It's probably just a muscle spasm, Ruby already mentioned it as one of the symptoms for back pain.

I think that a massage could help here a lot, in case it is this cause. You can find the tips on the internet if you have never massaged your dog. He should be feeling better afterwards and you should keep massaging him when you have time, everybody loves massages. ;)

Hey guys,

This could easily mean that he has slipped disks.

If this is the case, treatment is usually easy, it consists of pain killers and a lot of rest for your dog. It's hard because as soon as your dog receives these pain killers, he wants to go around running and jumping and he mustn't do that because his disks could slip even more and could further cause a paralysis of his back legs. He has to rest for about two weeks. Better put him in a small cage (if this is the cause).

This cause sometimes requires spinal surgery, although rarely. 

Hey there everyone.

Rita, it is very irresponsible because you haven’t take your dog to the vet yet. OK, business trip, I understand. But you should call your friend all the time to check did she listened to you.

But now we can’t do anything, right?

Massage can be helpful but it is very hard when your dog doesn’t let you close to him.

You can try to make bubble bath for him with some essential oils. This will help him relax his back and maybe you will be able to give him a massage after this.

It is worth of trying.

Hey guys,

I don't think that she should try to massage him, Carla. If her dog is in a lot of pain, he probably has slipped disks like Dalmatian lover said, and a massage would be very painful for him. He probably can't even bend down to eat, let alone do anything else.

You seriously need to take your dog to the vet, Rita. If it is what I think it is, too, slipped disks, your dog needs to take a long rest because if he continues to walk around, his disks will slip even more and it can come to the point when even a surgery cannot help.