Hey people.

Can you tell me is there any way to recognize back pain problems in your dog? I don’t think so, but my sister claims that her dog has back pain problems since he don’t want to walk anymore, he refuses to run and he doesn’t want her to give him massage.

I told her that it is not that easy to diagnose it alone but she claims that this is true.

OK, let’s suppose that she is right. Can you teach me how to relieve pain in dogs with back pain problems? What can help dog to manage this pain?

Hello. First, it is very hard to tell that some dog has back pain problem until vet diagnoses it. When you think that your dog is in back pain it is very important to find the source of the pain and then treat it right to prevent some complications and damage. Remember, whatever is the cause of it appropriate treatment is important for your dog. Usually, treating this discomfort may include limiting activity, medications, sometimes a surgery and sometimes combination of all three things. But it is very important to find out what is the cause and does even this dog has back pain.

Hey everyone :)

As far as I know, back pain is very common problem in dogs. And it can be everything. So the most important thing is to set a proper diagnose. Treatment usually includes anti – inflammatory medications to relieve the pain and to reduce the swelling of the spinal cord.

Cage rest is very often needed to allow the disc to spine and to prevent some injuries in the future. Most dogs can recover after several weeks of therapy but some just can’t.

Sometimes surgery is necessary and surgery may be needed to remove old disc material or to reduce pressure in the spin.

Hey friends.

How old is this dog? Because back pain is common problems in older dogs. Pain has so many causes but yes – it is very sad when it happens to some dogs.

Up to 20 percent of dogs have problem with their backs and that is usually connected with aging. But it needs to be treated.

Yes, sometimes it requires surgery but you can try to heal it at your home. There are so many products that can keep the quality life of your dog.

But most of them your vet can prescribe you. No other solution. Good luck.

Hey guys,

The first thing that comes to my mind is a slipped disk, Millie.

It it the most common cause of back problems in dogs. In case I'm right, you need to do something as fast as possible or your sister's dog's disk might slip ever further to the point where it can be repaired only with a surgery.

She needs to do what DS told you, to put her dog in a cage to rest. It takes about two weeks of rest for her disk to come at its place. Plus, her dog will need a lot of painkillers. But after all this is done, her dog should be fine.

Well, supposing she is right, maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea to limit his activities.

Maybe to avoid long walks, the longest walk should not be longer than 15-30 minutes. And maybe you should also try to encourage him to rest.

And don’t make him jump. If he is used to sleep on the furniture, try to be there whenever he wants to jump to the sofa and try to help him, pick him up, instead of letting him jump.

And it would also be good to take him to the vet and get a proper treatment. That’s actually necessary.  

Yes, that really is necessary and here is why- back pain could be caused by some severe health issues and most dog owners are convinced that it must be a sign of aging. It is not always a sign of aging and the dog must be taken to the vet as soon as the symptoms like these are noticed.

The vet will probably suggest to reduce his activities or he might suggest a medical treatment. Sometimes even surgical treatment is needed.

And maybe he will even suggest the combination of those three.

When my dog has back pain he always enjoys massages. Too bad your sister’s dog doesn’t let you massage him. That really could release his pain, assuming of course that you know how to provide a massage. You might want an expert to do that, but since I know a lot about this and my brother is a vet, I asked him to give me some tips how to massage him properly.
And my dog likes to rest, I make him a comfy place to stay, I even bought him a lazy bag so he can feel very comfortable during day.