I'm thinking about building up my chest muscles. I have already checked out several gym clubs, and I'm starting next week. I consulted my friend who's a fitness instructor and he told me that bench press is the best among couple of exercises that are building chest muscles. Should I know something more before I start?

Well, there is a lot to say about chest muscles building. There are several groups of muscles in that area, you have surely heard of pectoralis major and pectoralis minor. Bench press is actually main and best exercise for these muscles. Just be aware of several things. Don't overdo it in beginning. That will only be counter productive. I recommend at least 48 hours of rest between sessions. Warm up before starting, and stretch lightly after the workout. Everything else you need to know will be told you by gym instructor. Good luck with building those pecks!