Hi, I'm 22 years old and have been suffering with chronic tonsillitis since the beginning of this year. I have had a few boughts of very severe accute tonsillitis and one bad mouth infection, which all seems to be related. I have now been on antibiotics 6 or 7 times just this year. Although my throat does feel sore quite often this doesn't bother me so much, I am constantly tired and unable to carry out normal every day tasks.

I have been offwork for about 2 1/2 months on and off since January and when I do go in I can only manage to work part time. If I do manage a full day at work or a full day out doing something the for 2-3 days after I am so exhausted I am pretty much bed ridden, I can get up if essential but I am so tired I can't really manage to do anything. I am sleeping for about 12 hours every night and I still often need to have a nap during the day!

I'm booked in to have my tonsils removed in July, but just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced fatigue like this, I haven't really heard of any similar cases. If anyone has had a similar experience will the surgery stop me from being so tired? The ENT specialist said it should but I am really really scared about having the operation, and wouldn't want to do it if I will still be as tired after as this is the only aspect of chronic tonsilitis which is bothering me.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to try and find someone who has been through the same thing. Any information/advice would be much appreciated :-)

I suspect the surgery will help the fatigue because your body is constantly fighting an infection and the continual battle causes a lot of work, right? When there is no battle to fight, you are going to have much more energy. One question I have is if you have been tested for mono? This shows up with similar symptoms as the tonsil condition but causes a great deal of fatigue. I had this in college my first year and the fatigue was overwhelming at times. Something to mention to the doctor the next time you go in. Keep us posted on the outcome and if your fatigue subsides. How is your diet right now? That could have a lot to do with it too.

Thank you for your reply! Yeah I've been tested for Mono twice, both were negative, and my consultant said he could tell it definitely wasn't just by looking at my throat. My diet is pretty good at the moment, I'm trying to do everything I can to make myself as healthy as possible, but still exhausted constantly :-(

One more thing:
It sounds like this problem has really impacted your life in a big way. Have you checked into scheduling the surgery for an earlier date. Perhaps your surgeon has associates or a referral that he can make if he is not available to do the surgery soon. It seems as though waiting will contribute to a longer recovery period because your body will be weaker than it should be going into surgery. Be sure that your doctor knows all of the details that you have shared here. They are important. He may just have you on the schedule without really considering how your life has changed as a result of this problem. Take care and please let us know how you are doing.

I have been suffering w chronic tonsilitis and fatigue for 20 plus years now.  Was wondering if u had ur tonsils and adenoids removed?  do u feel better?  Please respond...desperate.

thanks, 

beth