Hey everyone,  I am a 21 year old M that has that has been struggling for almost a year now. I have this weird but sharp pain in the middle of my chest that hurts even more when I take a deep breath. My throat is often "tight" feeling and is sore on occasion. I have been in and out of the doctor and have racked up some hefty bills with no solution. I have told the doctor I feel anxiety and he just started me on xanax but very low doses. It seems to help calm down a bit but it has not completely solved my pain.  As far as anxiety goes, I am an obsessive thinker that doesn't stop thinking all day long. I feel like my brain is running in over drive and I often toss and turn all night long until my alarm clock goes off and I end up not sleeping before going to work. I worry about health constantly and feel like i have every disease there is. I worry about problems that will never happen. AN example was last night, when laying in bed I was thinking about surfing in California since I am moving there in 3 monthes. All I thought about was this for an hour and by the end of it all I could think about was getting stuck under the board and not being able to get air. Talk about a waste of thinking and time!!!  I would like to hear from anyone especially people that have the same types of problems.

Hi, I have similar issues... I think you could have a couple of things, but may be some Congestion in your Chest. (Robbitussin is good for that, but makes it worse at first them better after 2-3 days use.)
Could also be a touch of anxiety.
(I over-think everything, too)
I have found the best way to fight "over-thinking" about one thing is to get really Busy on something else. If it happens in the middle of the night, get up or turn on the TV to something that is pretty boring and try to concentrate on that... Or turn it to something that you can tolerate and try to focus on what they are saying, maybe while already laying down in a Dark room, under covers with everything secure for Bedtime and just put the Sleep Timer on on your TV. If that doesn't help, pick up a Book and try to read... anything to just refocus your thoughts long enough to get calm and rest. Hope that helps :-)

ur not alone! im a 22 F and i struggle with similar issues. at the moment im under a lot of pressure in college and some members of my family have died recently. i think i start focusing in on myself when i need to control something. this past week i thawt i had throat cancer, tongue cancer and something wrong with my heart. sleep isnt an issue with em tho. if i feel like my brain wont stop i tell myself t park my thoughts outside my room and that ill deal iwth them in the morning...i know sounds kinda ridiculous...but it works for me.
sounds like u have a bad case of the 'what ifs' too. i do that a lot. but i have to tell myself that worrying isnt going to change anyting that may or may not happen all it will do is make me paranoid. u cant help what happens in life to a certain point but u can choose what t think about, its one of teh only things we can control.
hope that helps.

I too am overly worried about havinga heart attack because my father had a mild attack when he was 47 and my mother had diabetes and it frightens me to think I could end up like them. So any little pain near my chest I freak out! can someone help calm my nerves...also used to have panic attacks real bad about 13 years ago...and if you read all the different medicine journals they will drive you crazy!!

I know exactly how you feel.I have been like that for years.I think i have all these different diseases and worry about my health constantly which is crazy because i aint given up smoking yet.Just now i have terrible throat pain which radiates into my chest which makes me think i may have throat cancer or something wrong with my heart or lungs.I have been under alot of stress lately and everyone keeps telling me that these symptoms are stress related.I wish i could convince myself of that.I am fed up living like this where i worry constantly everyday.My mind works overtime. :-(

Hey, I'm having the same problem.

Two weeks ago I had chest pain one evening and it happened two more times up to today's date. I was convinced I was having heart problems and almost burst into tears worrying that I could have a heart attack. After talking to someone else on this board, I've realised that it could just be gas preassure (I hope!) but I've been thinking about it every day for two weeks now.

I have a case of the "what ifs" and obsessively worrying about my health (I'm stopping drinking my favourite drink in favour for a sugerless one)

I hardly eat veg and I worry everyday that that will make me ill one day.

honestly i think you should smoke some weed.

I have similar experience. That is anxiety. To much brain function do that. The body react like something is wrong and release adrenaline and castriol - stress hormones. Read "Power of now" - Eckhart Tolle it's very helpful book.

I am exactally like you describe, although I haven't found any sort of solution yet, its anoying in it lol.

You id**t, weed is a common cause of anxiety, worst idea to combat it. Imagine someone with anxiety problems having a whitey. They may turn to suicide!

That is exactly how I feel. I am a student teacher and in financial diar straights right now. I think the same way. My chest hurts constantly and I think all of the time. I feel as though something is always going to happen to me (heart attack especially) I am sure it is anxiety. I am on meds also and overthink constantly. I have a lot of stress with taking care of my grown children and have an autistic 11 year old as well. Please help me calm down. :-(

Hey im 17 and im recently have been feeling this striking and tender pain in the middle of my chest right at the end of my sternum. It hurts so bad and i keep thinkingi might be having a heart attack or something. But it wont go away even when i take a pain reliver. It like strikes at any time and then goes away and then it goes away and then comes back, sometime the pain will leave but the middle of my chest stays tender to the touch and it swells. Does anyone know what this is, it scares me?

Guest wrote:

Guest wrote:

Too true...my first panic attack was when I was stoned...I was terrified.

Ill never forget the thoughts and feelings I had that night...and how long it took to wear off.

hi i have the same exact thing, ive been to the ER three times for it within the past two years. all they keep telling me is that its Pluerisy. i have it going on right now too, ive had it for two weeks straight, normally it goes away.

I am having the same symptoms. I dont know what it is either.I dont like it either. I have been to the er twice...