Hi, folks. I was diagnosed arrhythmia several weeks ago. I take my medications regularly, but I am worried about something else. My neighbor tells me that eating some foods can induce cardiac arrhythmia. I wonder whether this is true. What do you think? I would really want to know that. Thanks.

Hello. Regular and balanced diet can be important for regular heartbeat. Diet rich with fish can reduce risk for developing some serious arrhythmias. It is because of the omega-3 fatty acids. Small amount of caffeine cannot harm, but if you exaggerate can cause arrhythmias. Alcohol abuse is also dangerous when it comes to this condition. Red wine, tea or chocolate are favorite among people, but they are also dangerous for provoking arrhythmias. You should talk to your doctor about food you should avoid. I hope I’ve helped. Please, let me know what your doctor will say. Bye!

For me, certain foods trigger AFIB. Examples: Coffee or sodas - things with caffeine. Also things with salt,things like ham, bacon, shrimp, presalted foods in a restaurant. I have to stick pretty much to unsalted items and fresh fruits and veggies, jello with fruit in it is good. When you figure what foods trigger AFIB, write them down like in your Blood Pressure log book, and avoid them, because it's not worth an attack.