Hi all

I'm 22 and female, and for quite a long time I have been suffering from itching all over my body, mainly during the night. It will occur almost every single night and it is so irritating that I can never sleep!

The only allergy I know of is of a certain body wash that I once used...but that was a few years ago and quickly stopped using it. I have had the itching for as many years as I can remember, but it has always been extremely rare and only seems to occur at night, just when I'm trying to sleep. (Typical.) However, last year when I moved house, I suffered from it slightly more often (roughly every few weeks?). And in March this year, my boyfriend and I moved into a flat together, and since then, I have had it very nearly every single night. I have tried sleeping tablets (just the over-the-counter type) but with no luck. Doesn't matter how tired I am.

I have used the same body wash and shampoo for years and like i said, it used to pretty much never occur, so I ruled out allergies to that. The same applies to washing powder for my clothes etc, and my diet has always been the same.

It only seems to occur at night, and it's mainly on my legs, but it does occur all over (from head to toe!). I haven't ever had any kind of rashes or visible problems. I sometimes apply moisturiser, which can help a little but not always. I try to avoid scratching at all costs!

Erm what else...my boyfriend has never seemed to suffer from it (we share a bed). One thing I've heard that can cause itching is mould, and there is a little of it in my bedroom. However, when we moved in, we slept in a different room, and also, why would I have itched last year when I lived in a different house??

ARGH every night is almost guarunteed to result in no sleep at all...it's getting me down so much and I feel so exhausted. Funnily enough though....I usually find I can sleep during the daytime! I try to avoid it so I won't mess up my sleeping pattern, but it's the only time the itching isn't too bad.

Community Administrator
Hi.

Do you have any rash? Have you visited your dermatologist?
If you don't have any rash, you might suffer iron deficiency or it could be stress related.

However, I suggest you to visit your physician and make blood test.

Thanks for the response!

No I've never noticed any sort of rash, which is strange.

It could very well be stress or an iron deficiency (or both) as I have had an iron deficiency before and I am always feeling stressed!

Haven't had it checked out yet but I am going to the doctors to sort out my stress, so I will mention it.

=)

I have the same exact problem!! It feels like I am itchyall over but its not due to a rash or anything of that nature. It has been happenign at night and mostly on days when Im extremely stressed..its so annoying.. I can't get it to stop. Did you see a doctor? Have you been able to stop this? If so, what did you do?

PG

It's definitely scabies. I've had it. It takes one pill and a week of cleaning your apartment. Basically you need to see your doctor to get medication and cream. You must wash all clothing and bedding in hot water and dry on high heat. And dry cleaning items can be dropped off and that takes care of them as well. Any clothes you wear for the week, take off at the end of the day and put them in a plastic garbage bag. And again at the end of the week, wash your clothes in the same manner and your bedding. Make sure you also by spray for mattresses.
It's honestly the worst experience. My boyfriend didn't suffer from it, which was odd, but we still had him abide by the doctors rules. I never had rashes either, but I coould see bumps once in a while that were skin tone... But it always felt like tiny little stings or pricks. It Was worse at night, but daytime I'd have small episodes.

Good luck

Hi
I dont think this is because of scabies..as i am also suffering from this i have used all the creams for scabies...doc told me that it can be reaction of some antibiotic dose ...i have consulted two docs both have given me different medicines one had prescribed a moisture cream,atrax tabs and tabs for worms....other one suggested me to dring alot of water avoid eating noodles medicines like for drinking water and medicines like cetrinine,mebendazole etc but of no vail.....this usually happens alternate days and i always feel a warmth all over the body and stress in the left part of my head....also a little pain in my stomach.....

Hey my wife had the same thing for 3 years. She went on a low sugar gluten free diet and after 3 monthes the itching went away! Thank the Lord Most High. I am trying to get the word out to as many people as possible.

hii im navya and i have the same problem i even scratch after bath i have been using Z-BEC TABLETS can u tell me wat is the cause of my itching

i just sleep all night

I have to research this topic every once in a while when an episode hits like yesterday and today. I do have contact dermitities that i have diagnosed myself. Itchting at the site of contact with tight clothes or heavy straps/seat belts. I scratch till I create these whelps on myself. I'm not sure about the Celiac disease but I do notice when I stay on my 24 hr Zyrtec it goes away. I'm out of meds right now so maybe something outside may be causing this. Very frustrating! I will try to watch my diet.

My wife had unexplained itching for 2 years when we were in college.  Doctors could not figure it out.  After 2 years it stopped.  Then 5 years later she was diagnosed with breast cancer.  If you do not perspire or eliminate regularly, it could be that your body is not detoxifying properly.  Toxin buildup in the body is bad news.  You should see a specialist.

Health4life

This a really irresponsible post. People come here looking for some suggestions about a minor issue. Telling a young woman that itchy skin is a precursor to breast cancer is not only baseless but also cruel and fear-mongering. 

If everything else has been ruled out - it's possible it's stress related or just anxiety. Anxiety manifests itself in MANY different ways that don't seem to make sense, and itching is a very common sign. There are meds of course, but you can do other things like guided imagery, soft relaxing music to help you relax, a stress biofeedback class at your local college (works WONDERS), and a mental health therapist/counselor are just some things. Call your local county mental health association for more assistance & they will point you in the right direction.. As a medical professional I wish you well. Good luck!!

BTW, hope you did not listen to the "definitely scabies" id**t - you stated clearly you did NOT have any rashes or visible problems. There is a specific signs/symptoms for that, which you would have listed if you had that problem!

People itch for an incredible variety of reasons, and that begs the question as to what is causing the itch and secondly how to treat/stop the itching.   It pays, first of all, to see a physician if that itching is "that severe" that it cause you to miss sleep regularly as that will affect your disruption of proper rest and your work, or school, or life in general.  Okay, say you see a physician and you are referred to a dermatologist or an allergist, or another specialist, but the key issue is to get a proper diagnosis...then it can be treated.  Many of the treatments stated here one person's idea of what works "for them."  But not everyone is the same.  For some, it may very well be their diet...and one way to see if it is diet is to eliminate the main culprits from your daily intake.  This can take time...it's not a few days or even weeks, it could take some months.  I would advise many here to consider getting off of sugar or ANY artificial sweetener, as well as anything white (as in flour...breads, cereals, plain rice, and any other carbs).  This takes effort, of course, but if you are really suffering from itching...then get off your butt and do something about it.  Most physicians are really poorly trained in nutrition, so get out your Google and search about nutrition and for your own sake clean up your plate yourself, it can change the rest of your life immeasurably.  

As for itch treatments, you may find that bath oils, emolients on your skin, will help...that is if dryness is the culprit.  Sometimes the menthol or eucalyptus in lotions helps diminish the itching too.  You have to try it for yourself.  Above all, be consistent and don't cheat on the diet.  And if a much better skin treatment is needed, there are some medicines too which can help, but they are usually antihistamines and can make most people drowsy.  You can get Atarax under a prescription, for instance, but you can get Benadryl over the counter.  Bottom line, get checked out to eliminate any serious medical condition, then see about palliative itching treatment.  Consider the dietary changes.  Finally, get some stress relief training and stop voting for Liberals.

I agree i got pretty scared with this...

I've read that it could be limphoma