I had a grommet put in 12 months ago which is still in place. Got the whoosing sound immediately after waking from the operation and 12 months later it's still there. I'm assuming it will stay until the grommet falls out.

yes my right ear is blocked and muffled after the gromet is this normal

Hello. I got a grommet in november 15 and had exactly the same issues initially. My hearing was affected and even my voice sounded loud when talking. This gradually eased over time and my hearing went back to normal. Give it a couple of weeks and try not to panic. Mine def got better.

8/8/2016.
Hi everyone i had a grommet put in my left ear i am in 3 weeks , with loud tinitus, deafness , and worse as it was before . i could hear alot before the grommet, i just had pressure in my left side, if i would have known what to expect i would not have it done. The ENT doctor should tell you this if you have it done, you should be given a leaflet to read before you sign the consent form to tell you the side effects of having a grommet put in your ear, I have now been of work , can't sleep everything sounds different , When you buy medication from your chemist you get a leaflet in side telling you the side affects , this is what you should get when you see an ENT doctor so you can go home and read it and decide . i wish i would have never had it done now, it as been 3 weeks , so don't know if i can have it removed , would it be worse, or would it get better , any help would help .

It as been 3 weeks since i had my grommet put in my left ear, and saw the surgen at the ENT i still have loud tinitus and deafness some days are worse than others , sounds like i am under water , the surgen as give me another 8 week to see how it is , is this normal will it settle down or get worse , or have the dam thing taken out , if i do have it taken out will i get back to normal or will it still be the same , worried that the opp as made me worse, or is this a time healer , any help please .

I had grommets inserted 3 days ago to rectify Eustacian tube disfinction causing slight deafness. When i woke from the anesthetic I could hear very little at all. Though hearing has improved slightly since then it is still much worse than before the op. Can anyone tell me if it will improve? I was not told the deafness and tinnitus would be much worse after the Op otherwise I might not have had it done! Why are the ENT consultants not warning us this may happen??? BTW I can't get in touch with him though I have tried!!!

I have had grommets in both ears done yesterday and also have the whooshing sounds and tinnitus and feeling blocked in my right ear. I can relate to you all with this. I am flying to Brisbane tomorrow and the ENT said I could fly only if I have the grommets put in so hope it all goes ok.

Thank you thank you thank you for writing this. I thought I was going crazy and no one could understand what I was talking about. Your post is exactly what is happening to me. What happened at your appt?

Hi I had grommets in both ears 5 mths ago and experience tinnitus and whooshing sounds at night and popping sounds like its emptying fluid or something in a tunnel. I am glad to read everyone else has this too. Lets hope once the grommets fall out that there will be some reprieve as faf as the whooshing and tinnitus problems.

I am 67 years old and my hearing in my left ear was reduced. Saw an ENT who suggested to put grommets in after the hearing test showed that the hearing was reduced. I also had an MRI done to rule out any other problems. I had the grommets put in on the first of December 2016. After the op the ENT came into recovery and asked if I could hear. I said no and everything he said sounded like I was under water. It has gotten worse ...I got this constant noise which gets worse at night when I lay in bed. I rang and asked why my hearing is much worse ...he said to hang in there. But after 4 weeks i had enough and told him I want them out. His suggestion was to get hearing aids to which I told him instead of one now I need two hearing aids. It feels horrible...every sound is distorted.After I rang him and begged him to take them out they will come out on the 23/2/2017 . I hope i will get my hearing back as it was before. I am sure I am not the only adult with the same systems so its pretty poor not to be informed by the ENT.

I had my grommets inserted on the 12/1/17, i have an echo in my head when i talk, when in supermarket everything sounds too loud, and i also have tinnitus now, i am also thinking of asking for them to be removed as i am not coping well with them.c oukd you please keep us updated after your grommet removal as most people don't seem to follow up. Good luck and i really do hope all works out well.

Hi everyone, i am 34yrs old and had grommets insetyed in both ears yesterday. I too have muffled hearing when people speak but a bang or other noise is so loud. My ears have squelched, clicked and popped all day, there is no discharge but just feel stuck in my own head if that makes sense. My right ear is worse than left but my surgeon said thatbear canal was extremely narrow in that ear so not sure if there is swelling blocking out the sounds. I got them to prevent vertigo and also as struggled with low frequencies hearing wise. I dont have a check up for 6 weeks so hoping that these symptoms have gone way before then. Im terrified.

Had both ears done for the second time (first time was fine) I now have that muffled feeling like I have cotten wool in my ears and I can hear my heartbeat too when there is no other noise around... I am going overseas so needed to get it done so I can fly..

My little 2 year boy having grommets in tomorrow I really hope he's OK after

Don't know about it 'dying down', I had them inserted in February this year and I'm STILL deaf, still get the whooshing sound and STILL got the original ENT problems!!!
It is now May 8 2017.