Amazing isn't it what specialists DONT tell you!  Had bilateral Shah Grommets fitted one week ago now and experiencing similar symptoms to everyone on this thread. Whoosing sound in left ear (which is called pulsational tinnitus), and is essentially the ear picking up blood flowing through your blood vessels, and also the sensation of muffled hearing as if you have cotton wool stuck in your ears. My ENT speciallist has asked me to grin and bear with it insisting it will all eventually die down. Although I was surprised to hear him mention that the Whoosing sound in the ear was uncommon, considering the number of people in this forum who have mentioned this. Looks like a lot of so-called ENT specialists are certainly not clued up on post-operative symptoms, especially for what they regard as such  a relatively easy and uncomplicated procedure in most cases. Like most people on this thread, these symptoms are driving me up the wall, cause a lot of anxiety and are very debilitating. Good to know that in many cases these symptoms have died down after a while, but I'm sure we would all agree that it would have been far better to forwarn us all of these post-operative complications. I will keep you all posted of progress.  

My 11 year old son has just had a grommet fitted in his left ear after being told for the past 4 months that his muffled hearing was due to fluid in his ear after an infection.  We decided to go ahead with the grommet insertion last week and expected to come home from the hospital with relief of symptoms and improved hearing but alas all he got was no change in his hearing and now the addition of a pulsitile tinnitus in his ear when he goes to bed!  I am so disappointed but after reading all of the above and noting that most grommets are given to children under 4, I am wondering if this is not as uncommon a complication as they seem to think it is, after all how would a young child begin to describe a tinnitus abnormality?  Anyhow, we are hanging in there until maybe the 6 week check up.  Remarkably my son has a fantastic coping system and tells ME not to worry... just feel so guilty I have put him through all this and made things worse for him.  Fingers crossed it is just early days... oh and good luck to all the above

Just a quick update on the above... a week after surgery my son could cope no more and so we went back to the ED Department, saw the ENT Reg and was given a 2 week course of antibiotic steroid eardrops, Ciproxin HC... first night and no noise. Just in case this helps anyone else! Good luck

Thank you soooo much for the update. I have been suffering with same plus 24hour constant high pitched ringing since grommet insertion 7 months ago. Nothing has helped, serc tablets, augmentin duo forte tablets or prednisolone tablets. I will give the Ciproxin a try. Thank you again.

Hi All, with reference to my original posting some two weeks ago, I am pleased say that a lot of the symptoms that I was originally experiencing have died down somewhat after the bilaterial grommet insertion. Hearing in my left ear is relatively normal but still experiencing a very noticeable hearing loss in my left ear. ENT specialist doesn't appear to be too concerned and expects it to have improved at my 6 weeks post-operative appointment. From what I have read, an eardrum that has been perforated surgically or otherwse can take anything from 6 - 8 weeks to heal - and ENT's usually wait at least 6 weeks before running an audio test. Also as the ear-drum is probably more of a delicate structure that we realise, different people will probably experience different things during the healing process, and apparently the brain also takes a while to register and deal with the"new" sensations and somewhat re-syncronise perceptions. So here's crossing my fingers for the audio test in 1 months time(!)

hi i had grommets put into both my ears in jan 2012 and also had the pulsitile tinnitus, i thought it would drive me nuts but as the months passed by it did ease a lot and and eventually went away, then as the grommets started to fall out it came back again only for a short period of time, and after a couple of weeks it stopped, touch wood, its gone all together now, i do find if i get water in my ear when washing my hair it tends to come back for a short while, so now i make sure i put cotton wool in my ears and im fine, hope things settle for your son.

hi only had mine done on ten januarry all post here are from two years or three never say if get better hearing comes back please if anyone see this could they e mail me or leave a comment on this thanks

I had grommets inserted 5 months ago I had his horrible feeling for first 6 weeks with whooshing in my ears. Now 5 months later I can say that the pain is gone but I can not hear as well as I could before. I can still hear well but understanding is the problem. I went back to ENT complaining about that but passed the hearing test which only determines if you can hear noises on specific levels and not if you understand. But the whooshing noise will go that is all I can say cause it was pretty annoying. For those who have it I can recommend listen to white noise if you cant sleep. It helped me a lot. You can find it on youtube.

How did you fare in the end?
I've had a grommet done and now have all the symptons described... it's been several days... it's terrifying.

Thanks for this post. I've had a grommet done and was told "no recovery period" or "immediate benefit" - all I've had are the terrifying symptons...

How are you faring now, after six months?

I had tubes put in both ears after a severe ear infection.  My hearing had gotten so bad that it sounded like I was wearing sound-cancelling headphones all the time.  The tubes did not help that at all at first.  Gradually the hearing got better, however I developed pulsatile tinnitus.  Horrible, constant, pulsating, whooshing noises in my ears.  Imagine the sound you hear when you hold a seashell to your ear and hear the ocean.  Then magnify it.  When I lie down, bend over, or exert myself in any way, even the slightest, the noise gets deafening.  Then I will have bouts of hypersensitivity to noise where the sound of dropping an ice cube in a glass sounds like nails on a chalkboard.  Lately I have been having dizziness and vertigo also, to the point where I have fallen several times in the past few weeks.   The tubes were put in three months ago.  ENT ordered an MRA because he was concerned that the whooshing noise seems to stop when I press on the arteries on the side of my neck.  He wanted my carotoid artery checked.  Naturally, my insurance company wouldn't cover the procedure so I had to get an MRI instead.  Just got the results back today and they are sort of inconclusive.  Show cysts in the maxillary sinus cavity, abnormality in the optic nerve sheath, and "pneumatized anterior clinoid process or an underlying aneurysm."  Not sure what all this means, other than the ENT doctor is sending me to see an interventional radiologist and a neurologist.  Sounds scary to me, and hopefully the insurance company will cover this MRA to figure out what exactly is going on.  

The blocked sensation is really similar to how my ears have felt since the op 3 days ago... I am giving it a week before I go back and see the consultant about it but I feel like my head is in a goldfish bowl..!! Just wondered if yours got any better? It's affecting my work asI don't want to talk to people for very long, especially new people or people I don't know too well as I'm constantly asking people to repeat themselves and it gets to a point where I don't want to listen to anyone at all as it just annoys me lol.. Strangely mine seems to be worse in one ear at a time and it varies which ear?! Odd..!!! Anything you can tell me would help :)

Dear All
In December last year I had a grommet put in my left ear due to a blocked ear that I had had for 6 months. I am 61. I got instant relief but by the time I went back to the specialist three weeks later I had the whooshing noise and echoing sound. I couldn't tell how loud I was speaking and couldn't hear properly. The specialist said I was just getting used to the sound of my own voice again. In May I was getting on a plane so went to the Dr just to make sure that getting on a plane wouldn't cause more ear problems. I told him the symptoms I was experiencing and he said the specialist should have told me what I could expect from having a grommet inserted. He explained that the grommet has a tiny piece of metal in it which causes reverberation and the whooshing noise is the air going through the hole in the eardrum. Two weeks ago my grommet ear popped several times which I thought strange. It wasn't until I got to work that I realised the reverberation had gone so I figured the grommet had fallen out - hurrah! Finally after 12 months my all seems better. Once the eardrum heals over the whooshing noise should go. Hope this helps others with this stressful business.
Lorraine
New Zealand

I am 36 and have had these surgeries since infancy(more than i or my mother can count) Had a partial mastoidectomy with 2 tubes placed in the same ear (left) in 2000. I just had a t tube put in a little over a month ago due to retracted eardrum bc of eustacian tube dysfunction. My hearing and pain was bad immediately after surgery but got better each day. Took almost a full 2 weeks to feel good. I still have a throbbing sensation in my ear (not painful) which I believe is tinnitus. Only notice it when it's quiet or I focus on it. I have lost most of my hearing in my left ear from infections eating away at the sound structures (bones) of the ear. Also mastoid was almost completely infected (black on ct) which could have led to brain infection. This most recent surgery due to my second time having a retracted eardrum which can lead to cholesteatoma which can lead to loss of hearing as well. Ear tubes are a necessary evil. There are worse things than losing your hearing or having tinnitus as a result of not getting tubes. I will have to have one in each ear for the rest of my life and I will take a hearing aid and anti anxiety med over an infected brain any day. I know how badly going through it is so I am compassionate and hope all who have these procedures a quick recovery. I will say it was quicker recovery as a kid though....aging ugh! Best wishes.

Hi my son is 6 and nonverbal. Had glue ear from birth but went undetected so his hearing is slightly damaged. Since the third set if gromits he is waking every night and us pokin his ear. He keeps shakin his head like something is loose. Anyone experience this that can tell me whats wrong? He still has no speech.geys words sometimes and then its like mute again.