All you people, don't worry about the muffled hearing and the whoosing in your ears. It takes time but will go away eventually. Great pity there are probably not many ENT consultants around who have had the operation done on themselives! They may then be able to console their patients and empathise more as to exactly what you may have to expect post-op.

The ears internally are very delicate structures and will always take a while to adjust post op.

I had the same done and in exactly the same position. I was told that would have instant relief from grommets and now I may need a hearing aid. I am so disappointed it all started with loss of my voice fir which my dr would not treat had they done so I probably not be in this position. In the last six weeks I have had three severe pear infections one before grommets and two after. The tinnitus is driving me mad. Any help would be great

how long were your ears muffled for, I had grommits placed into both ears 3 weeks ago, and are now more deaf than before I had the operation, no one told me this.

how long are we looking at for the ears to clear , weeks, months, years

Hi I had a gromit put in a few days ago and feel like my ear is burning and my hearing isn't any better also was only told on the day I had 3 options hearing aid , leave or gromit and still might need hearing aide after gromit anyway wish they would tell u more before op is anyone else had this burning feeling help as scared there's a problem

I had grommets put in two weeks ago And apart froma little discomfort at the beginning, I have been fine, I do however keep getting a pulse in my left ear, no pain or discharge, just this fuzzy pulse noise taking over.

Hi. I had a grommet fitted in my right ear a month ago for the same reasons as yourself and I am 47 years old. I now have a clicking in my ear and a whooshing sound (which sounds like my washing machine going to start spinning). I am going back to ENT tomorrow to find out what this is as it is so annoying. HELP.

I had my grommets inserted in both ears 5 days ago, i am hearing much better as i was almost deaf, I have been getting popping in one ear, is this normal?????????????????

Hi There, I have just had grommets put in and I am experiencing the exact same thing? Does it get better, what the update with you? My Dr told me today that it might be permanent... feeling really down.

Hi just wanted to post as i had exact same experience in February this year when i had grommets inserted.   i had whooshing noise all the time, blocked hearing, tinnitius etc.   it was horrific, frightening, unnerving and i was so freaked out.  Anyway after about 3 weeks it was gone completely but it was a long 3 weeks.  I listened to white noise at night to drown it out and this helped wiht the sleeping.  I also took sudafed.   i also asked at the time was this 'normal' and they said not but to see how it was after a few weeks.  The consultant explained it was probably due to the trauma experienced by my ears to insert them.  Just wanted to post this incase anyone is searching and is as freaked out as i was.   I still get a bit of tinnitus if i am really tired or anxious - at night time but very little.

Great to see someone take the time to come back to this site with a positive story and to add some balance to the posts!

Hi everyone. I had grommets put in both ears to help with meniers disease. It has been 2 weeks and I feel like I am talking through a tunnel. I can hear noise if loud but cannot discern speech. I had no trouble before. I visited the specialist today and daid that my not being able to discern speech is unusual and has asked me to give it another 2 weeks. I hate being this deaf and experiencing whooshing sounds in ears. Wish I had never had it done

I am curious on how you're doing. I had surgery 3 weeks ago to remove a cyst from behind my left eardrum. I was told that the fullness, vertigo, tinnitus, and pulsing should get better right away while it could take a few months to get my hearing back if at all. I haven't noticed an improvement in the fullness and am still dizzy, and the pulsing is as bad as ever. I was given Valium last week for vestibular suppression to help deal with the dizziness but am still having issues when I don't take it. My doc wants me off it already. He said time is the factor in getting back to normal. My employer "urged" me to take a medical leave as this is affecting my work. The doc gave me a week and we will reevaluate. What should my real expectations be? Do I need a new ent?

I had temporary grommets put in two years ago to relieve pressure in my ears - I'm now 28 - and now the one in the right ear has fallen out but the one in the left ear is still there.

I remember feeling like my head was in a bubble when I first had it done, but that feeling did go away. I have had problems with sensitivity to sound for a while now, but I can't remember if that got worse when I had the grommets put in.

I get the whooshing sound, but it's actually in my right ear, which doesn't have a grommet any more, which also has the old problem of pressure and crackling. Currently my left ear (with grommet) is much more comfortable and doesn't cause me any problems, or at least it's better than my right ear.

So the grommet has been very good for releasing pressure so my ears aren't constantly equalising, but sound sensitivity is a real issue. I've been referred to the audiology department (which deals with how the brain processes sound) but I'm sceptical that they will find anything wrong. But the ENT specialists have not been very helpful so far.

I had grommets in both ears 3 months ago. Constant infection since. Ears feel more deaf and full. My right ear is painful and discharging with really bad pulsitile tinnitus. My left is sore but with any pressure change (eg burp, yawn) I get a sharp stabbing pain almost unbearable.
Please someone tell me if I get them removed it will improve??