Now almost six weeks post op - getting more manageable but ET is still blocked and the Grometts block particularly in warm closed rooms. The clicking from blocked "glue" ear is still horrible but pressure symptoms generally improving. Wake up with heavy thick sensation "behind nose" - often on one side. No "wooshing" and sleeping at night. Hope this helps as sinus / blocked eustachian tube symptoms are worse than anyone ever thinks - except to those who are having it!  Hope it goes as dont fancy repeat ops - hope you are getting better soon JodyQld and enjoy holiday.  

Quick update. The infection seems to be gone. Stopped the drops 48 hrs ago and no pain or pressure build up. My vertigo is improving, as is the night swooshing sounds.

I am now getting 'used to' the near deafness and hope that it will improve and my hearing will return to normal.

At least there is some improvement. Will update when I return from holidays.

Well afteer reading all these comments,i am not so sure i want to go ahead with having grommets fitted,I had them in as a kid which i can't really remember.But for months now have been having trouble with earache and slight deafness and a blocked up feeling just in one side,doctor gave me nasal sprays which havent worked and he has now reffered me to a ent guy.but i am not sure what to do ?????

me personally i would never have the grommets in again!!!! ive had both ears done one in dec one in jan and the whooshing noise drives me mad, its worse on a night and is still there during the day, but with other noise around in the day, it seems more bareable.
If you have it done i wish you good luck! you may be one of the lucky ones.
all the best

Hi I just had my left ear done yesterday,I woke up after the op thinking it's all over.but now feeling worse,doctor said it will take about 1to 2 weeks to clear up.I feel the same as you only time will tell good luck

Update again. Now two months post op. Had Grommetts both sides for blocked eustachian tube. Horrible for 4 weeks and painful too! Pressure release now very gradual. Ever so slow improvement. Pain and heavy feeling is getting better but have blocking of grometts and clicking - much worse at work in enclosed warm offices and hearing deteriorates. Tried increased exercise and running but was too difficult. Mouth and saliva a problem - sticky secretions and clicking ears still . open my mouth and clicking is evident badly.

What helps - 1) lots of fluids 2) lemons and juices 3) rest 4)  Flixonase Nasal spray mornings 5) increasing exercise and fresh air

ENT want me to have deviated septum corrected - but am not too sure - any experience anyone?

Well i might just put up with it,and not have anything done.i dont think i have heard anything good said about grommits.

I think that would be the best choice, i wish i could rewind time, and read the reviews before i had, had them done.
I would have prefured to suffer the blocked - pain then this awful whoosing noises. good luck with whatever you decide

Hi All, I had a op back in July 2012, I had the pain and whoosing noise for about 6 weeks after the op. I still have the grommet 9 months later and I'm okay. Plus the reason for my op was so that I could fly again without getting vertigo for 5 weeks after I fly and I went for a test flight 3 weeks ago and the good news is I didn't get any vertigo symptoms. Which is brilliant. Thanks, Gabby

10 weeks post op - things looser but not helped clear ETD yet, still there and have now had it for 6 months. Slow but right direction. SAW ENT specialist who put me on another course of steroids - Flixonase spray - dry mouth and ulcers developed :( , so sticking to natural recovery
Will post back in another month as I think its important for people who have just had the op to know it does slowly improve and to be very patient!

Hi All............. Ok so Ive suffered badly with everything you have all mentioned over the years! I, years ago got told I have the usual allergy problems and as such suffered with hayfever and colds during the winter so a couple of years ago I had a sinus operation - They stripped back my turbinates, I also had a deviated septum sorted and septoplasty - After this my sinus's seemed to be even worse! - 
However after many trips back to ENT and docs it has been established that my sinus op was a great success and they are beautifully clear - Just the odd infection now and then due to getting a cold! 
So why did they seem worse? Well the underlying ETD was never diagnosed so the pressure I feel in my face, ears etc Is down to ETD (barotrauma) or aeroplane ear as its commonly known was the reason for feeling that my sinus's hadnt got better!

So last week with the constant pressure in my head and ears the consultant decided I should try a grommet in my right ear! BAD MISTAKE (right now) The pressure is 5 fold.. ;(

Since having it I have all the symptons you all describe! No one has mentioned it sound like you have a sea shell over your ears (although thats the wooshing sound I guess)

If I said your sinus tubes in and around your nose and head feels blocked would you agree? Its pressure!

The problem goes from one side to the other then back again within minutes! You feel like someone has stuck a air hose in your ears and everything is either really loud and muffled or really quiet and vibrating! I can even hear a cars exhaust thats coming from behind before it even gets to me!

Arghhhhhhhhhhh its so damn annoying and because others cant actually see it they dont know how your feeling!

Anyway - Agreed we all feel the same but can you all try something for me (a little experiment) 

Eat something with wheat and dairy in it............... A Cheese Sandwich! 

Then see how you are immediately after it - Say 10 minutes and see if it makes your condition any worse! 

WHEAT and DAIRY in our diets apparantly can cause real problems (I read it somewhere) and I dont know if its psychosomatic or Im just being daft! 

BUT WORTH A TRY TO SEE - It may help ;)

michael 47 here cant log in for some reason?

Agreed dairy makes things much worse and also sugar I think?  I have back on both but not easy with the dairy.

I had a lot of sudden drainage from left ear after nearly 11/12 weeks post grometts.

I went to GP and asked if this was natural or an infection . He thought the latter and said ear drum looked infected. Put me on oral antibiotics which reacted to and then sofradex which is an antibiotic and steroid combined - awful dried everything up and put back recovery and once again ulcerated my mouth with horrible pressure again. I am avoiding GP's now!

Keep up fluids and veggies and fruit. chewing gum, and using heat pads / water bottles on ears.  No wooshing since 4 weeks post op but now tinnitus in left ear - intermittant.  muffled feeling to sonds and own voice - in warm rooms or where there is air con.  

how much longer??

Apologies for not replying with an update earlier. It's been over a month now since I had my third grommet put in the right ear. (This time under General Anathesthic, not just local done in the ENT office.)
The pulsing is now very mininal, as is the ringing in my right ear. But maybe i'm just used to it now. Same with the hearing differences - seems better. But I still am hearing differently. My right side is less, but again I think I 'getting used to it.'.
My imbalance is barely noticeable.
Overall the improvement is great - my advice to the people with 'fresh' grommetts is that it can get better, but it may take weeks. My best wishes and understand to others who are continuing to have issues with their grommetts. Previous grommetts have not been smooth, including a 6 week infection that 'leaked' continuously!
I wear ear plugs in the shower, even though my ENT said it wasn't necessary. I'd rather wear an ear plug for a few minutes than risk an infection.
Do other people wear ear plugs in the shower?

Jody - yes I use cotton wool / vaseline to block ears every time in shower or bath.
I have just started to also use Breath Right nasal strips at night - worth trying as have has increased post nasal drip since which is hopeful in that it has increased ventilation otherwise hampered by deviated septum? On the down side is that the increased movement is trublesome with grometts blocking and then opening but again much worse in rooms at work where air con is or in warm heated rooms. Oh well slowly does it !

i had grommets inserted 6 weeks ago and have all the same symptoms
the wooshing noise is tinnitus. my tinnitus is ten times worse than b4 the op, constant 24/7. surgeon said grommets are supposed to improve tinnitus, what planet is he on.he also suggested removal of grommets if my tinnitus,deafness is not better in another 4 weeks.