I'm 17 years old, I first was diagnosed in February 2017. My hair started to thin around my spit and behind my ears, within 2 months, I was loosing 80% of the hair at the back and sides of my head. I was in my second last year of school and it was coming up to summer holidays, I kept thinking it's only a couple weeks and I could avoid everything and hide my alopecia then since I didnt tell anyone. But I was in like 4 supplements a day, steroid creams, homeopathy you name it and I didn't see much of a difference. HOWEVER, during the summer holidays when I wasn't forced to be seeing anyone, I came to accept my condition, my dad suggested I could have to cut my hair if it got worse and asked me if I could be okay with it. I wasn't going to cut it anytime soon but from the moment I accepted it and faced the reality I could have to cut it and it wouldn't be the end of the world, it suddenly started growing back, stopped falling out and became thicker and thicker. You see, alopecia is sometimes a vicious cycle, the cause is stress and worrying too much in some cases, and since it keeps falling out and you worry more and more and therefore make it worse. I still hadn't told anyone apart from like 5 of my friends and I don't need to tell anyone else. I currently have about 20% of my hair about 10 inches at the back and the sides and front are about 1.5 inches now, to wear it I put the back in a ponytail in the usual place and gel the sides, front and underneath up to it. It's hard going into school everyday but I think when it's all over it's going to be a blessing in disguise, it has made me a much stronger person and not to focus on just looks. Good luck to anyone going though the same thing, just accept it and be confident in your self! BELIEVE 

Hey, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your story. I am recovering from severe alopecia and your situation sounds super similar to mine! I noticed a patch of hair missing behind my ear a year ago after my 20th birthday. Soon it spread to the other side and form there it spread up the sides of my head. I was shedding hair like crazy cleaning out my hairbrush every few days. I lost so much hair I constantly wore a beanie to cover my head for the last 6 months. 

My hair is the same way! Short around the front, sides and back of  the neck where it grew back and then I have this tiny ponytail of looong hair on the back of my head that never fell out and survived the whole year. Haha I just started to wear mine in a bun or two buns usually and just let the short hair do its thing. A week ago, I was still covering it with a beanie. Now I am trying to be brave and wear it out like this, getting ready for when I get the rest of the long hair cut to match my re-growth.

After trying a bunch of things that didn’t work I finally found a hair specialist called a Trichologist to help me. I’m halfway through a year long treatment program with her and my hair has almost grown all back! There are only a few patches left that are still working on growing in. 

I couldn’t agree more that stress is a huge factor in this immune disorder. I have tried to keep my alopecia hidden and haven’t had a job or anything this whole year it’s been so stressful. Hopefully now things will start to fall back into place though.

Here’s to recovery and strength through hard times. The subconscious is a powerful thing. As I stressed about losing my hair, it got worse and worse. But when I accepted it and let go of the stress my hair started to grow back little by little. We may have to live with it, but it doesn’t have to control our emotions!

good luck with your recovery FlowerB :)

Great to hear a similar story! glad your doing well goodluck!